Cardplayer Of The Year

POY  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should Online Poker Tournaments Count in the CardPlayer of the Year Rankings

• Yes
    • No

-I think there are some other politically motivated reasons why it's wrong for online tournaments to count. Reasons that relate to the idea that certain events that may count also limit the field in terms of who can enter the event.
First bolded, I think live events limit people as well. A lot of people don't waste money to travel to say Aussie Millions or alot of EPT stops simply because travel expenses are a huge cost compared to the ROI you expect to get back from the tournaments you play. Say you play a 10k with an ROI of 60% (pretty solid). That 6k that you've earned simply by playing is probably going to be cut in half or more due to flight/hotel etc. A lot of people learn to stay away from traveling too much unless they are a complete sicko. While this isnt the same as completely limiting someone from playing an event, I think it has more weight and effects it more than say a Stars pro not being able to play the FTOPS. (which sucks bc the jersey is sexy)
Daniel, I would like to hear your rebuttal to loosh's comment here. I think he brought up a very valid point here that you have yet to respond to (whether by choice or not I really don't care, hence why I am bringing it back to your attention)
and of course some internet-hermit that never plays live is gonna come say that you see brazzillionxxx more hands per hour online. thats just a lie. maybe in the 1990's yeah. but the shuffle method used by live dealers is so rediculous nowadays it hardly takes much more time than online. plus stars/online is notorious for having people take 60 secs a play more often than normal, whether there surfing sites, playing too many tables, getting food out of the kitching etc.. these can never occur live so thats a bunch of 30-60sec stalls that add up to live not being that much slower hands p hour than live for one tourny.
This is absolutely ridiculous and I don't know why anyone hasn't brought your absurd points up yet.Another point, as mentioned earlier, is you seem to be upset about CP including online tourneys, when it has been shown that only ONE tourney from the previous year is included (WCOOP ME if I am recalling it correctly). Later on, however, you mention that we have the OPOY for the online game. This is NOT a case of OPOY=Online and CPOY=Online+Live because not all online events are included. There seem to be strict guidelines in place to make sure only the top of the top tourneys get included (at present day, only one). Therefore, I don't think your argument of "CPOY includes both online and live" holds a bunch of merit. A BIT, perhaps, but being that it is only one tourney, not enough to make it a big deal.If it comes to a point where EVERY tourney online counts, THEN the talks should be open to make it 3 separate awards...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this post is simply saying that you want them separated for your own benefit. You're becoming the grumpy old live guy before your time.
yeah sorry, but this could not be more true. i mean, you are complaining about 1 or 2 donkaments counting? really?and all of you that say online is a dumbed down version of live, loooooooolllllllllllllllll. i mean, im mediocre online and crush live. also, complaining about sitting at your computer for 9 hours and not being able to see the screen is spectacular. would you complain to your boss irl about this as well?Dscoot, you are the champion of the known world. your posts are soooo aplus gold every time.loosh is pretty much on target all over this one.
This is absolutely ridiculous and I don't know why anyone hasn't brought your absurd points up yet.
Well, saying that it is ridiculous is not going to win the argument - you need to provide some reasons. I would say that while dealing is perhaps getting faster live, the player decisions won't get faster. Online you only have a few seconds and a very limited time bank to make a decision. Live it may be minutes before anyone calls the clock and then there is another fresh minute + 10 seconds to make up your mind. My observation is that online a hand takes one minute on average and live a hand takes two minutes on average. So online is already twice as fast as live and if you factor in multi tabling, the ratio increases even more.
yeah sorry, but this could not be more true. i mean, you are complaining about 1 or 2 donkaments counting? really?
It sets a bad precedent, though. I think it'd be better to have two pure awards, rather than one pure and one muddled award.
and all of you that say online is a dumbed down version of live, loooooooolllllllllllllllll. i mean, im mediocre online and crush live.
Let's not get into the "live is better! No, online is better!" debate here.
Daniel, I would like to hear your rebuttal to loosh's comment here. I think he brought up a very valid point here that you have yet to respond to (whether by choice or not I really don't care, hence why I am bringing it back to your attention)
this

I'm sorry, but why is somebody making a personal choice as to which tournaments to play the same as somebody not being allowed/invited to play certain tournaments?

They only allow one online event and this is a debate? Seeing as the CPOTY pays such a staggering sum of money...........er, is such a prestigious award that is directly marketable for anyone that wins it............er, is something LeAnn can use as an introduction on PAD.

They only allow one online event and this is a debate? Seeing as the CPOTY is something LeAnn can use as an introduction on PAD.
I think it's more of an ideological debate than a practical one.Also, sentence fragment.

It doesn't really matter since Obama will be winning the Cardplayer of the Year award for 'intending' to play all the evetns and doing well in them.

It doesn't really matter since Obama will be winning the Cardplayer of the Year award for 'intending' to play all the evetns and doing well in them.
Sour grapes or being hip? :club:
Sour grapes or being hip? :club:
Can't be sour grapes.Last thing I wanted to see was some idiot doctor who devoted his life to helping woman who had been brutally raped at the risk of his life beat a man who intends to do something or other eventually after a couple more date nights to the big apple.Or some Sima Samar broad who risks her life everyday in Afghanistan by being a doctor and helping women.Or Greg Mortenson and his big deal building 50+ schools in poor islamic countries..I mean Obama even beat this guy because he promised to eventually help one school in Kenya. ( sure he never did anything at all to actually help this school, but he said he would, which is the same thing. )To pretend that these people are even worthy to pick up after the first dog takes a dump on air force one when compared to the contributions of a man who is going to do something soon that will be really really great. Might not be real soon, probably need to reelect him to one more term since he is set to do so much.So sour grapes?No..more like national pride
Well, saying that it is ridiculous is not going to win the argument - you need to provide some reasons. I would say that while dealing is perhaps getting faster live, the player decisions won't get faster. Online you only have a few seconds and a very limited time bank to make a decision. Live it may be minutes before anyone calls the clock and then there is another fresh minute + 10 seconds to make up your mind. My observation is that online a hand takes one minute on average and live a hand takes two minutes on average. So online is already twice as fast as live and if you factor in multi tabling, the ratio increases even more.
Winning an argument with DScoot is impossible. Anyways, I was referencing this is ridiculous because he just makes an off-base statement that many believe to be false and does not provide ANY data backing his claim up. That makes his claim ridiculous.If I wanted to provide reasons, I could have. I just didn't feel it was necessary since his point with a lack of information makes it invalid.I could cite limited timebank, faster shuffling, faster time to act etcetcetc and make sure his point is wrong, but that is such basic, well-known info that i didn't feel it was necessary.Lets keep this debate on track and not make it about politics mmmk? :club:
YaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwnnnnOkay :club:
I have to thank you for the Bush avatar. I had become a little bitter about all the vile hatred that's come out of people since the election. Almost as much as I've been discouraged by people's unwillingness to stand up against all the empty, manipulated, lies and pure volume. Then I see that picture, and realize how nice it is to see people's true colors once they can't hide behind their veil of patriotism. I don't think he "deserved" the Nobel either. I think it was a reward from the world for getting rid of that man-child. Pictures of GW give me hope. Hope that we can fix what him, and his handlers helped break. Damnit, a tear is coming to my eye remembering watching speeches of him from the edge of my chair. Transfixed by his long awkward pauses, elitist sneers, and knowing, just knowing I was about to laugh as he went off his script and invented another "word". I miss you George :ts I hope you find the approval you've been seeking for so long.
I have to thank you for the Bush avatar. I had become a little bitter about all the vile hatred that's come out of people since the election. Almost as much as I've been discouraged by people's unwillingness to stand up against all the empty, manipulated, lies and pure volume. Then I see that picture, and realize how nice it is to see people's true colors once they can't hide behind their veil of patriotism. I don't think he "deserved" the Nobel either. I think it was a reward from the world for getting rid of that man-child. Pictures of GW give me hope. Hope that we can fix what him, and his handlers helped break. Damnit, a tear is coming to my eye remembering watching speeches of him from the edge of my chair. Transfixed by his long awkward pauses, elitist sneers, and knowing, just knowing I was about to laugh as he went off his script and invented another "word". I miss you George :club: I hope you find the approval you've been seeking for so long.
Mine's bigger

Good arguments on both sides and everyone agrees there should be 3 races.This poll was made because ONE tournament, the WCOOP main event is in the race and the award is for best player. This tournament should obviously be in the race imo unless we split the 3 races.Also, its great reading all DNs responses keeping in mind hes the official ambassador of PokerStars.

Bump so DN can't ignore this...since I know he will check it if it is up on top still.
Does Daniel have to respond to it before you can answer this:
I'm sorry, but why is somebody making a personal choice as to which tournaments to play the same as somebody not being allowed/invited to play certain tournaments?
Does Daniel have to respond to it before you can answer this:
Must have skipped over it. I think I read just the latter half of the question in passing and just assumed you were asking Daniel.From a straight financial standpoint, they are vaguely related.-If a PS pro plays a FTOPS and gets caught and loses his sponsorship, he loses money from it.-If a live pro with a 20% ROI goes and plays a 10k event and spend 4k in travel, he loses money over the long run.Both situations technically don't restrict the player from playing, it is outside limitations (contract or travel expenses) that restrict the player.I am not referring to invitational tourneys because the tourney itself restricts the player, but for the others, the players obligations or outside limitations prevent him/her from playing. Technically it IS the personal choice of the PS pro not to play, his consequences for doing so are much more severe though.
Both situations technically don't restrict the player from playing, it is outside limitations (contract or travel expenses) that restrict the player.I am not referring to invitational tourneys because the tourney itself restricts the player, but for the others, the players obligations or outside limitations prevent him/her from playing. Technically it IS the personal choice of the PS pro not to play, his consequences for doing so are much more severe though.
Oh, I thought when he was saying tournaments restrict who can enter, he was talking about something else. I agree they are both personal choices (although I probably would've phrased the argument as it's a personal choice to sign the contract that restricts you).