Cardplayer Of The Year

POY  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should Online Poker Tournaments Count in the CardPlayer of the Year Rankings

• Yes
    • No

I just noticed that CardPlayer is counting online results on their Player of the Year race. They have both a regular player of the year, and an online player of the year race. Not one live event counts for the online player of the year, but certain online events now count for CardPlayer of the year. No one can debate that playing live is different than online and since they already have a category for online play I don't see why certain online events should also count for the regular CardPlayer of the Year race. Thoughts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just player of the year, not live player of the year, so it makes sense to include the major online events.Like pitchers being eligible for MVP, but position players not eligible for the Cy Young.I think.

Hate it.Totally fine with separate player of the year awards for live and online, but combining them is a terrible idea.So many more online opportunities that imo it would skew the results out of shear volume, not to mention the fact its an apples/oranges comparison.

It's just player of the year, not live player of the year, so it makes sense to include the major online events.Like pitchers being eligible for MVP, but position players not eligible for the Cy Young.I think.
no, for the simple reason that some pros aren't allowed to play on competitors sites.
Both of these posts make excellent points, even though they come to opposite conclusions.
no, for the simple reason that some pros aren't allowed to play on competitors sites.
very good point right out of the gates.But agreed as above that they should just do live POY, Online POY, and Overall POY.It's very sensible. Clearly there's a solid chance that the Live or Online POY would also be the overall POY, but I think that just makes for some really fun races in general, and clearly classifies what each race is comprised of.
Easy suggestion: Have an Online, Live, and Combined POTY race. Don't see why this isn't the case already.
I concur
I just noticed that CardPlayer is counting online results on their Player of the Year race. They have both a regular player of the year, and an online player of the year race. Not one live event counts for the online player of the year, but certain online events now count for CardPlayer of the year. No one can debate that playing live is different than online and since they already have a category for online play I don't see why certain online events should also count for the regular CardPlayer of the Year race. Thoughts?
i agreeMark

I voted No.Perhaps there should be a couple of different "Awards" handed out. Online at various buy-ins, for example.I had a point about geography being a factor in how many people are able to play the tournies that Cardplayer uses as a ranking system, but I'm not sure how applicable it is...

Yeah, this is pretty convincing for a no. Having them separate is fine I think.
Who is it that's not allowing them to play on certain sites?
barry g has stated publicly that his agreement keeps him from playing on stars. I know at least one other person that's not allowed to.
barry g has stated publicly that his agreement keeps him from playing on stars. I know at least one other person that's not allowed to.
That sounds like a Barry problem, not a Cardplayer problem.

I think the WCOOP and FTOPS ME's should be included. They are big buyin, massive field poker tournaments. Online poker is still poker why should it be excluded?edit: hypothetically speaking, if someone were to win the WCOOP, FTOPS and WSOP ME's, but online poker wasnt included in the rankings, i think a lot of people would have a problem if that person wasn't Cardplayer of the Year..

I think this statement's flawed, I don't know how to fix it but I get your drift...but it doesn't make sense as written that he would be a Stars pro not allowed to play on Stars?
i'm pretty sure it's that way for all stars pros.
So if Pokerstars and/or Full Tilt had in their agreement that you can't play WPT events because they are going to put on major online events at the same time to compete with the WPT, then WPT events wouldn't count either?
Danfrom the rules- Player of the Year 2009 Scoring Criteriahttp://www.cardplayer.com/rules-poyOnline events with a prize pool of more than $5 million (only players who release their real names -- with site verification -- will receive points)This means basically the WCOOP ME only as of now barring future huge tourneys.I think any $2,500+ buy-in 200+ player tourney online should be counted and $10ks+ with 100+ players. effectively adding the FTOPS $2.5k, and WCOOP/SCOOP $10ksSo 1 tourney was counted this yr and 1 last yr. Thoughts on the above being added?Also do you think Invitational events should be counted as they are now?2009 Scoring Criteria-Invitational events must have at least $500,000 in the prize pool:club:
Danfrom the rules- Player of the Year 2009 Scoring Criteriahttp://www.cardplayer.com/rules-poyOnline events with a prize pool of more than $5 million (only players who release their real names -- with site verification -- will receive points)This means basically the WCOOP ME only as of now barring future huge tourneys.I think any $2,500+ buy-in 200+ player tourney online should be counted and $10ks+ with 100+ players. effectively adding the FTOPS $2.5k, and WCOOP/SCOOP $10ksSo 1 tourney was counted this yr and 1 last yr. Thoughts on the above being added?:club:
WCOOP and FTOPS ME's only imo.

I do NOT think any invitational event should count, that's absurd and unfair. The key reason I don't think online events should count is because, while it's very similar to live poker, it's just not live poker. Not at all. I can't see my opponents. That's a part of poker. There already is an award for online play. That should NOT transfer over to a poker award that has always been about live tournament poker. It's nuts to count online events, Totally nuts.

There already is an award for online play. That should NOT transfer over to a poker award that has always been about live tournament poker. It's nuts to count online events, Totally nuts.
agree, if there are already two seprate awards why try and combine one of them, that makes no sense

I think they should be kept separate.I also think it would be a bad idea to combine the two, just because online players put in so much more volume. It would probably only be online guys in the top 10.