Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

To me its kinda like the prospect of inducting Tom Dwan into the poker hall of fame this year. I mean, he's awesome and everything but...come on, really?Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that he had to be nominated by February 1st which was about 12 days into his presidency, I'd have to say the Nobel Peace Prize is even more worthless this year than it is most other years.

From CNN:The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it gave the prize to Obama for his "efforts to strengthen international diplomacy," his "vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons" and for inspiring hope and creating "a new climate in international politics."Also: One person expressed "sheer disbelief" that Obama had won, in a Twitter posting, saying the prize should have gone to a person such as Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai because "he stood up to a murderous dictator." Another person said she "seriously cannot believe they gave Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Ridiculous."Others had praise. One person wrote: "My president Just won the Nobel peace prize!!!! Go prez Obama."Really? We need to report on random people's Twitter postings?

From CNN:The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it gave the prize to Obama for his "efforts to strengthen international diplomacy," his "vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons" and for inspiring hope and creating "a new climate in international politics."Also: One person expressed "sheer disbelief" that Obama had won, in a Twitter posting, saying the prize should have gone to a person such as Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai because "he stood up to a murderous dictator." Another person said she "seriously cannot believe they gave Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Ridiculous."Others had praise. One person wrote: "My president Just won the Nobel peace prize!!!! Go prez Obama."Really? We need to report on random people's Twitter postings?
one of my friends on facebook is reported to have said "omg wtf? lol" in response to the prize.
How is any different than going to the man on the street, and asking their opinion. Other than, you know, being lazier.
cuz twitter is dumb lol,
one of my friends on facebook is reported to have said "omg wtf? lol" in response to the prize.
This post is fantastic.

They compared it to giving it to gorbachev. In that light, it's kind of "using" the prize to try and further bolster a positive effect in the future. It's a good idea, because I really don't give a shit about the thing. May as well give it to someone in a position of massive authority that appears to be heading a direction in line with that of the nobel peace prize framework. (remember, the fact that this nomination was due by 2/09 only bolsters him....do you not remember the infallible aura that man carried through the entire election period). I'm pretty sure his doodie was sparkling during that period. Pretty sure.

I was a little surprised at first, but just now I actually looked up the past winners. It's really not a stretch. I'm now bracing myself for a month of complaints from people who couldn't have named one other candidate yesterday, and then justifications from people who also couldn't name one other candidate. And since I obviously couldn't name one other candidate, and could literally name one past winner, my job is clearly to make popcorn and snide comments until Daria comes on.

Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Yasser Arafat are the only past winners I know.Or, at least, I think I heard that somewhere.Edit: Confirmed via Google.Feast on my knowledge!

I wonder what would happen if you put all the (living) nobel Peace prize winners in a room for, like, lunch or something. Anyone think there might be some fireworks, a fight or an arguement at very least? Is that too much to ask for?

I sat here for a good minute trying to figure out this sentence, and for the life of me, I cannot.
lol. What i was going for was that if I cared about the nobel peace prize and who it went to, I would have major reservations in how Obama received it. But since I don't care, I like that it's going to someone based on future plans because it could possibly have some sort of tangible impact on the future of peace (probably not, but meh).That being said...that sentence kind of reads like sandpaper on the eyes, so i apologize and slowly skulk away.

Kissinger won this award, and he's essentially a war criminal. He got it for the 1973 peace he brokered in 1973... the same basic peace plan that he adviced the south vietnamese NOT to take in 1968. He told them S. Viets that they could get a better peace if Nixon was president. His goal in killing the peace was to ensure that Peace wasn't brokered before the '68 election, and give the Dem's a bump in the polls ( Nixon was running on a "Peace with Honor " platform). The peace had essentially been agreed to by all sides before kissenger on nixon's behalf torpedo'd it. This crass politicization cost 10's of thousands americans, and god knows how many south east asians their lives. And the 1973 peace plan was, essentially, the same peace. So if you can win an award for that, you can win for any fucking thing, the nobel peace prize is a fraud.

Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Yasser Arafat are the only past winners I know.Or, at least, I think I heard that somewhere.Edit: Confirmed via Google.Feast on my knowledge!
Come on... if you really took some time you would have at least remembered Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela... maybe even Kofi Anan.
Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize for pointing out to the world that it's hot outside.
...and three years later is like the coldest year in the last 50... with almost zero hurricanes, instead of worldwide destruction.
No one gives a shit.
LOLOMON
Come on... if you really took some time you would have at least remembered Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela... maybe even Kofi Anan.
Don't even get me started on that fraud mother theresa winning.
...and three years later is like the coldest year in the last 50... with almost zero hurricanes, instead of worldwide destruction.
Meanwhile a few very crafty individuals (including...you guessed it...Al Gore) got filthy rich selling "carbon credits" to people with way too much money and conscience. We as a culture really deserve what we get most of the time.
Don't even get me started on that fraud mother theresa winning.
Of the three people mentioned 2 of them are definitely frauds... although I probably wouldn't have put poor old Mother Theresa in that group.I definitely would have put Nelson Mandela in the group of frauds however. That guy is perched up like a hero of slavery or something... but when he was in power back in the 50's or whatever, he would murder people like crazy. His preferred method of murder was putting tires around his enemies, filling the tires with gas and lighting it on fire.
Of the there people mentioned 2 of them are definitely frauds... although I probably wouldn't have put poor old Mother Theresa in that group.I definitely would have put Nelson Mandela in the group of frauds however. That guy is perched up like a hero of slavery or something... but when he was in power back in the 50's or whatever, he would murder people like crazy. His preferred method of murder was putting tires around his enemies, filling the tires with gas and lighting it on fire.
Poor old mother theresa wasn't poor... her ministry is a pain fetish, where she has the dying lying on hard mats in giant, side by side, in giant hot wearhouses of the dying. She thought that suffering was righteous, and did basically nothing alleviate the suffering of the dying, other than to tell them it was god's will. Meanwhile, the money she raised for her "ministry" was mostly spent on convents for her order.