Limit Poker Live Play Only Bankroll?

I tried to search but go no results so sorry if it has been asked.I play live only no only 4-8 limit poker, what type of bankroll would you suggest I Keep on hand? I see people buy in the game 80-120, I usually buy in for 200.Thanks for any help.

I tried to search but go no results so sorry if it has been asked.I play live only no only 4-8 limit poker, what type of bankroll would you suggest I Keep on hand? I see people buy in the game 80-120, I usually buy in for 200.Thanks for any help.
I would say you could make due with 200 BBs especially since it's 4-8 live poker. I am assuming the average pot has like 5-7 players to the flop, and you'll have days where you'll win 2-3 times your buy-in. I don't put much thought into bankroll requirements though. It's only important if you're planning on trying to make poker your sole source of income. In that case, I would suggest a minimum 500 BBs with a 2nd full bankroll to have as a cushion to meet living expenses for your inevitable losing periods. Sucks to try to meet your monthly nut of bills & rent when you're stuck $4,500 for the month at 20-40 level or something like that.

Depends what you mean as bankroll. At the table, it doesn't matter as long as you have at least 12 BB's on the table for a given hand. 50 bets should be fine and you should probably take a walk if you drop that. If by bankroll, you mean this is the only money you have available for poker, 500-1000BBs. And don't be afraid to drop down if it gets bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Depends what you mean as bankroll. At the table, it doesn't matter as long as you have at least 12 BB's on the table for a given hand. 50 bets should be fine and you should probably take a walk if you drop that. If by bankroll, you mean this is the only money you have available for poker, 500-1000BBs. And don't be afraid to drop down if it gets bad.
500-1000 BBs is insanely nitty for full ring limit. 300 is the standard.Furthermore, nobody is playing 4-8 for a reasonable living, so I'm guessing he's not going to need to be THAT strict.200-300 is probably fine, but it all just depends on what kind of risk you want, and what your winrate is.If the games are anything close to what they were a few years ago at 4/8 live limit, then anyone who has read and understood SSHE is going to have no problem in these games, so 200-300 BBs is fine.Of course, if for whatever reason we're playing for a living at 4/8, then having more could be safer, and smarter, or at least have several months worth of expenses in the bank.If we're just talking purely recreational play, but serious enough to the point where we are tracking a bankroll, and don't plan to infuse money into it from other sources, then 300 is fine.One more caveat, it's entirely a personal choice based on the amount of comfort you want after a losing session, and what you want your risk of ruin to be. A winning player will have very little ROR with 300 bbs, less than 1% for most winners.

300BB's has worked for me from 3-6 right up through 20-40. But I play in the "juiciest game on the east coast" apparently according to most people I know (the $20-$40 LHE game @ Foxwoods).Agree with Zach, 500-1000 is insane. I think I read somewhere that if you win 1/2 of a BB per hour with 300 BB's you have like a 95% chance of not going broke or something like that.

My largest downswing at live limit holdem is less than 200 Big Bets and probably isn't more than 150 Big Bets. Now those games were very good and I had a pretty significant edge.

My largest downswing at live limit holdem is less than 200 Big Bets and probably isn't more than 150 Big Bets. Now those games were very good and I don't really ever lose.
FYP
Would 300BB be enough to play it online? Or would you then look at 500+?
300BB's for anything under 2/4 is okay. Over that it sucks because swinging 100BB's in a session which happens kinda regularly can really stress you out. I like 500 - 1000 personally.
  • 2 weeks later...
300BB's for anything under 2/4 is okay. Over that it sucks because swinging 100BB's in a session which happens kinda regularly can really stress you out. I like 500 - 1000 personally.
I dunno... Hopefully 100BB swings should a lot more rare than regular. 1000BBs is pretty nitty - but to be fair, the games at higher levels are obv tougher, and no bankroll is enough if you can't beat the game. Better to grind out 2/4 then lose money at 5/10.
I dunno... Hopefully 100BB swings should a lot more rare than regular. 1000BBs is pretty nitty - but to be fair, the games at higher levels are obv tougher, and no bankroll is enough if you can't beat the game. Better to grind out 2/4 then lose money at 5/10.
TBH when I wrote that the post was directed towards online BR management. I'd have no idea bout live...
  • 1 month later...

4-8 live LHE games are horribad. 300 bb is plenty. I would think even 200 bb would be enough.

Would 300BB be enough to play it online? Or would you then look at 500+?
It depends on the number of tables. I play 24 tables. If I only had a 300 bb BR, I'd only have enough for 12.5 bb per table. So my roll stays > 1000. I hate having to reload, so I usually put 30-40 bb per table. Also, online games are generally tougher and more aggressive. So I would lean more towards 400 bb+, especially if playing 6 max.
If 100 BB swings are happening regularly in full ring limit, even in tougher games you are probably playing a bit above your head. Of course it depends on what you mean by regularly.
If 100 BB swings are happening regularly in full ring limit, even in tougher games you are probably playing a bit above your head. Of course it depends on what you mean by regularly.
I meant 6 max. And regularly means at least once every few sessions.