Ak In Tourny/cash Game

its not really that easy of a question to answer...just like most questions in poker, its situational...theyre a lot of factors involved

its not really that easy of a question to answer...just like most questions in poker, its situational...theyre a lot of factors involved
Speak of the factors and situations... or even past situations where ace king payed off or failed you.

in 3 words "bring the dick" lol. dude need a hand history or this is just too vague! If you don't know what to do with hands then read dan harringtons books and david sklansky's book, play some fake chip games, then start reading hands posted in forums and start learning

in 3 words "bring the dick" lol. dude need a hand history or this is just too vague! If you don't know what to do with hands then read dan harringtons books and david sklansky's book, play some fake chip games, then start reading hands posted in forums and start learning
thanks man, but u should be determined to get all ur chips in just cuz u hav AK... right?
thanks man, but u should be determined to get all ur chips in just cuz u hav AK... right?
like i said, its situational...like the previous poster said, pick up some books, and search the forums here for hand discussions on AK..

Besides being extremely situational it also depends on what kind of player you are. I know we all want to view ourselves as good poker players but we have to be honest with ourselves and figure out what kind a poker player we are. The reason I say this is a top pro is never looking to get his money all in pre flop with AK because of the fact that you run into AA KK way too often and if not that your in a coin flip for all your money even agains deuces! The pro feels that he has more than a 50/50 edge on his opponents and can find better spots to get it all in before the flop. On the other hand, an ameteur is for sure going to get all his money in the pot preflop with AK because he edge is non existent or minimal against his opponent and is trying to get all his money in as hopefully a small favorite to win. Bottom line is there is usually no shame in getting it all in pre flop with AK it really depends on the situation and how you view yourself at the table. Hope this helps...

Besides being extremely situational it also depends on what kind of player you are. I know we all want to view ourselves as good poker players but we have to be honest with ourselves and figure out what kind a poker player we are. The reason I say this is a top pro is never looking to get his money all in pre flop with AK because of the fact that you run into AA KK way too often and if not that your in a coin flip for all your money even agains deuces! The pro feels that he has more than a 50/50 edge on his opponents and can find better spots to get it all in before the flop. On the other hand, an ameteur is for sure going to get all his money in the pot preflop with AK because he edge is non existent or minimal against his opponent and is trying to get all his money in as hopefully a small favorite to win. Bottom line is there is usually no shame in getting it all in pre flop with AK it really depends on the situation and how you view yourself at the table. Hope this helps...
I don't think a bad player would consider his chance of winning over a better player as a factor or simply a reason to move in with AK. I think he's simply gonna move in because he got a hard on from looking at AK. Hence why he's a bad player.PS: If we somehow learn that the OP is a fake, i called it.
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't entirely agree with this but see I see your point. As the guys say it is very situational. At 10/20 level with 1,500 chips I hate picking up AK, it can land you in serious trouble, therefore OP's point of being early in an MTT picking up AK and thinking it is a get your money in pot situation is wide off the mark. On the other hand at a level such as 100/200 with 1,500 your AK suddenly becomes a huge huge hand. You notice how on one hand its a 'proceed with caution' hand and the next its a monster, it all depends depends depends.Lets have another go.You have AK on the button, blinds are 100/200 and you have a nice stack of 20,000. UTG shoves all in for 5,000 and its folded to you. What do you do? Easy answer, right? INSTA CALL all day long.Now you have AK in the BB blinds are still 100/200 and you've moved your stack onto 26,000 after shipping the last pot. Table chip leader with 30k in the SB shoves onto your BB, do you get the same answer? As a clue even if he has 7-2 offsuit he'll send you packing 40% of the time. Thats what the guys mean when they say situational.
I don't entirely agree with this but see I see your point. As the guys say it is very situational. At 10/20 level with 1,500 chips I hate picking up AK, it can land you in serious trouble, therefore OP's point of being early in an MTT picking up AK and thinking it is a get your money in pot situation is wide off the mark. On the other hand at a level such as 100/200 with 1,500 your AK suddenly becomes a huge huge hand. You notice how on one hand its a 'proceed with caution' hand and the next its a monster, it all depends depends depends.Now you have AK in the BB blinds are still 100/200 and you've moved your stack onto 26,000 after shipping the last pot. Table chip leader with 30k in the SB shoves onto your BB, do you get the same answer? As a clue even if he has 7-2 offsuit he'll send you packing 40% of the time.
1. Ak is a monster at 10/20 with 1500 chips. You hate getting it? Horrible thinking imo. What you mean is you hate folding it post flop so you lose chips all the time because you get married to it.2. YES YOU GET THE SAME ANSWER. Here's a clue getting your money in good is a good thing. Are you saying fold because he could have a worse hand and you get knocked out? Horrible thinking imo.Be rolled for the games you play and stop whinging about suckouts.
1. Ak is a monster at 10/20 with 1500 chips. You hate getting it? Horrible thinking imo. What you mean is you hate folding it post flop so you lose chips all the time because you get married to it.2. YES YOU GET THE SAME ANSWER. Here's a clue getting your money in good is a good thing. Are you saying fold because he could have a worse hand and you get knocked out? Horrible thinking imo.Be rolled for the games you play and stop whinging about suckouts.
Can't win any chips if you don't risk your own.
Horrible thinking. Still a profitable player. At the end of the day all I was trying to do was put the point across that AK in different situations merit different thoughts. Yes the examples are poor I have to admit that after reviewing them again. Thanks for your thoughts but next time be a little less aggressive and put your point out there. After all we all have our opinions.
Horrible thinking. Still a profitable player. At the end of the day all I was trying to do was put the point across that AK in different situations merit different thoughts. Yes the examples are poor I have to admit that after reviewing them again. Thanks for your thoughts but next time be a little less aggressive and put your point out there. After all we all have our opinions.
Fix up these leaks and be a more profitable player?
Ok, what should you do in a tourny with the blinds still extremely low in a tourny with AKIn a cash game?
There are many factors in playing AK but I think it really depends on your style of play. There are some players here who are very aggressive with AK and like to play it fast. Especially at the lower levels you’re going to get called by a weaker ace a lot of the time. There’s another group that likes to play it a little softer flat call and playing post flop. Neither way is wrong per se it depends on how you want to play it.I generally like to play AK fast when out of position and slow when in position but as someone stated earlier – it depends on the situation. If you’re playing an aggressive player and you have AK you might want to let him bet when you hit your hand then check raise or check call him if you think you have the best hand.
Speak of the factors and situations... or even past situations where ace king payed off or failed you.
Instead of asking us to post our AK hands, why not go through your hand history and post some of your own. That way you'll have more context when discussing them.

I like to play AK like a medium hand when the blinds are low, generally speaking.Raise.If I miss I fold.If I hit I bet and feel it out from there.Don't get married to AK, be able to fold it it's just a high connector pre-flop.

well put
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally i put a lot more stock into AK in a tourney and will play it more aggressively in any tournament setting. (obvious?)In a cash game, I'm raising/calling in any position pre-flop, w/ A-Ko i have to get rid of limpers because if i get outdrawn by a weak hand it kills me.I find my self raising pre, whiffing, then cont. betting about 75% of the time in cash games, and it's profitable the majority of the time. The rest of the time i'll just fold it post flop, i never really get married to A-Ko because its not as strong as it seems (basically a coinflip w/ 2-2)

i never really get married to A-Ko because its not as strong as it seems (basically a coinflip w/ 2-2)
You do realize it is one of the best starting hands? Even though it's a coinflip against most PP it kills every other hand including an ace. Unless they got 2 of 'em. Which can happen from time to time.And you like getting your money in the pot in a touney but not in a cash game? That doesn't make sense, cause cash games should be played more aggresively and tourneys more safe. I say it's the opposite, where I do put my money on AKo -> the cash tables.