Ahl Shortstackers - 19/20 and 20/21 AHL CHAMPIONS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.   It's very likely that I'm

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.   Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years sup

we all do. even the professionals get it wrong.   Id much rather be the type of person who gets it right+wrong, then the ones who just dont do anything unless its a totally obvious move, or just are

Wow. Didn't think this squad had it in them to get to the finals, let alone get out of the crazy North division. Career years by practically all of my forwards... MacKinnon, Teravainen, Zucker, Barzal, Stone, Kuznetsov... even my depth players like Hertl and Anderson put up career years. Key defensemen, too, despite not having a superstar on the back end... Dumba with a career year, breakouts by Will Butcher, Markus Nutivaara helped. And of course, some good trades (for now), landing me Barkov and Byfuglien. Actually, I hadn't really thought of it until now, but outside of Barkov and Byfuglien, there are no other key members of this team that I didn't draft, pick up as rookies, or trade for when they were still prospects, oh, except Goligoski and maybe Keith, depending on your definition of "key".

Now I just hope the luck that brought me here continues for 4 more wins.

Go Shortstackers!

Looking ahead, let's make an aggressive assumption and assume Palat (close), Stone (likely), and Kuznetsov (questionable) are all back for Game 1 on March 26th.

Forwards

The good news for my opponent is that Nathan MacKinnon only suits up 3 times, but I don't have to dig too deep into my depth. Not as much as round 3, fortunately.

MacKinnon - 3 gp (1, 4, 6)

Stone - 5 gp (1, 2, 3, 5, 7)

Barkov - 5 gp (1, 3, 5, 6, 7)

Kuznetsov - 3 gp (1, 4, 6)

Barzal - 5 gp (1, 2, 4, 5, 7)

Zucker - 4 gp (2, 3, 5, 6)

Arvidsson - 4 gp (2, 3, 5, 7)

Teravainen - 5 gp (1, 2, 4, 5, 6)

Those are the 8 forwards that I'm most comfortable with in my lineups. They fill 34 of the total 42 forward spots in this series.

My depth forwards filling in the remaining slots:

Toffoli - 2 gp (3, 4 - also available for 1, 6)

Hertl - 3 gp (2, 3, 7 - also available for 1, 5)

Palat - 2 gp (4, 7 - also available for 1, 3)

Then I have one final spot to fill with my replacement level players:

Milano - 1 gp (7 - also available for 2, 3, 5)

Or, Vesey, Hudon, Bennett, etc

If I'm healthy, I'm *really* comfortable with my forward lineups. We have a full week to rest up and get ready, so I hope those three guys will be able to return, and I can avoid anyone else going down in the meantime.

Defense

On defense, it's a little harder to sort out the guys I'm comfortable with. I have a lot of mediocre, interchangeable depth, so the goal is to supplement my top 4 with guys around ~0.200 in all lineups:

I get to use my top 4 together in games 3 and 5. My top 4 can fill 17 of the 28 D slots in the series. The remaining spots are filled with my depth players, ranging between 0.180 and 0.230-ish.

Byfuglien - 5 gp (2, 3, 5, 6, 7)

Dumba - 4 gp (2, 3, 5, 6)

Goligoski - 4 gp (1, 3, 5, 7)

Butcher - 4 gp (2, 3, 5, 7)

Depth:

Braun - 3 gp (1, 2, 7 - also available 3, 5)

Keith - 2 gp (1, 4 - also available 3)

Nutivaara - 0 gp (available 2, 3, 5, 7)

Edmundson - 2 gp (4, 6 - also available 2, 5)

Engelland - 2 gp (1, 4 - also available 5, 7)

Girard - 2 gp (4, 6 - also available 1)

Not expected to dress - Moore, Holden, Benn, Juulsen, Sproul.

As you can see, my defense is significantly weaker than my forwards. Having to dress Engelland twice is not ideal, though his numbers this season are tolerable. The top 4 are relatively solid, yet unspectactular, followed by mostly interchangeable depth. The key will be to play the hot hand and get lucky.

Goaltending

In net, we'll need the Leafs to step up. All three squads are above average, but the Leafs are the third ranked set. Nashville is the number 1.

Nashville - 4 gp (2, 3, 5, 7)

Anaheim - 1 gp (4 - also available 2)

Toronto - 2 gp (1, 6 - also available 4, 5)

4 of the four games (1, 3, 6, 7) do not allow me to make a goalie decision. Toronto will definitely see those 2 games, while Nashville is locked into games 3 and 7. Game 2 could be a decision between the Preds and the Ducks depending on opponents and back to backs. Game 4, the Leafs are available in addition to Anaheim, and Game 5, the Leafs are the backup to the Preds.

While we arent a fan..We like to congratulate you( sincerely ) on your epic run so far...Well deserved..

• Like 1

I was surprised to see that Nathan MacKinnon is still only 22 years old.It seems like he has been around forever.

After the Calder year, there was worries that he was going the way of Yakupov instead of the way of Crosby.

Good to see the year that he has had.

I was surprised to see that Nathan MacKinnon is still only 22 years old.It seems like he has been around forever.

After the Calder year, there was worries that he was going the way of Yakupov instead of the way of Crosby.

Good to see the year that he has had.

Yeah, those Colorado teams were soooo dysfunctional though. This year he was just like, k, gonna just do it all myself now and will this team to the playoffs. He’s been insane.

Injury updates:

Mark Stone - Not looking great. Tried to skate on Sunday but had to stop. Unlikely to play this week. Seems like a stretch that he'd be back in time for Game 1.

Evgeny Kuznetsov - He skated before practice today, likely won't play tonight. Trotz expects him to make the trip to Detroit for Thursday's game. Whether or not he plays then is up in the air, but he'll also have a game Saturday to return prior to Game 1, in which he would be expected to be in the lineup.

Ondrej Palat - Has been close lately, and is considered a game-time decision will dress for tonight's game. Should be back in game shape by the time Monday rolls around, though he isn't expected to be needed until Game 3, and that's assuming Stone is still out (and Kuznetsov has returned).

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I can't "like" it, but its damn impressive. im jealous!

slightly delusional however.

Like his bad goalies are 5th best in the pool and every team has significant injuries. The reality is however that the Shortstackers are in their prime position and the fav in our conference.

slightly delusional however.

Like his bad goalies are 5th best in the pool and every team has significant injuries. The reality is however that the Shortstackers are in their prime position and the fav in our conference.

we're probably all slightly delusional when it comes to our 'fantasy' teams.

that said, Zach is always more so than others, and loves to tell you its raining when the sun is out. I would say Im pretty guilty of that as well though. lol

I guess I’m probably not factoring in that the Leafs probably have the vast majority of my starts, but like Pittsburgh and Chicago are at the bottom of the league in GAA, so that’s where I get that sense. I’m guessing I got lucky and got Chicago and Pittsburgh on their best days.

I guess I’m probably not factoring in that the Leafs probably have the vast majority of my starts, but like Pittsburgh and Chicago are at the bottom of the league in GAA, so that’s where I get that sense. I’m guessing I got lucky and got Chicago and Pittsburgh on their best days.

The Leafs bottoms? They have the 3rd best GAA in. NHL

Toronto 13 GP, AHL GAA 2.615, NHL GAA 2.560

Pittsburgh 9 GP, 3.333, 3.217

Chicago 6 GP, 2.500, 3.600

So Leafs and Pens are kinda a wash. I’ve had to use Chicago 6 times and ran way better than their nhl record. That was kinda my point.