Interesting. I've always been kind of curious to see what it would look like if Hollywood made a big budge disaster movie with a simple plot and just concentrated on FX and pedestrian emotional manipulation. Could be pretty cool.
Armageddon has to be the standard-bearer of that class, right?
The thrilling "car being chased by land falling into water" scene? The other "car being chased by land falling into land falling into water" scene?
I think Mythbusters needs to do an episode about this. I need to know if you can outrun an earthquake in your car.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Joseph, you can outrun an earthquake in your car.
That's what I thought.I asked the question to somebody else and he was all like, "Dude, seismic waves can travel up to 15,000 mph!"But I just laughed at him. I said earthquakes, not waterquakes! LOL!

LOL of course you can outrun an earthquake if you're in a car. Come on guys. Land can only fall into the ocean at the speed of gravity, which is 32 ft/s^2, and because the land's not falling very far it can't keep speeding up. Like, the land is all connected so it's gonna fall a lot like dominos, and at the rate of 32 ft/s, which is only about 22 mph. Even a limo can outrun that. Hope that clears it up.

Dont imagine it as an earthquake.... imagine it as the two Techtonic plates that "connect/grind" under California. One plate the Pacific plate the other the North American plate. Every year the plates grind centimeters apart, a very slow pace for humans, but an extremely fast pace for the earth. but at any given time one big slide, usually the size of less then a foot can cause a massive earth quake. so assuming that they only move centimeters a year, it is surely in the realm of possibility that they can move slower then a car.... even a limo..... also, where that scene takes place, LA i think, is DIRECTLY above where both plates meet, the fault line is almost right under the city.... possible-yespobable-no (obv)

It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on film, if it was meant to be not-joking. I really think this movie is going to turn out to be a parody of disaster movies. It just wasn't a phenomenon that one could outrun like that. The entire city crumbles into the ocean, except for the insanely narrow path that their car follows. The land then presumably stops chasing them for 5 or 10 minutes so they can prep and board an airplane and get it out to the runway. It (the wave of disappearing land) then continues chasing them as the plane magically takes off, but then the entire world blows up anyways so who cares. I'm telling you, it's a comedy.

I've seen the trailer twice at the movies and all I can say is that I am disappointed in John Cusack. Did he get married or have kids or something to where he just needs money?

Dont imagine it as an earthquake.... imagine it as the two Techtonic plates that "connect/grind" under California. One plate the Pacific plate the other the North American plate. Every year the plates grind centimeters apart, a very slow pace for humans, but an extremely fast pace for the earth. but at any given time one big slide, usually the size of less then a foot can cause a massive earth quake. so assuming that they only move centimeters a year, it is surely in the realm of possibility that they can move slower then a car.... even a limo..... also, where that scene takes place, LA i think, is DIRECTLY above where both plates meet, the fault line is almost right under the city.... possible-yespobable-no (obv)
I'm telling you, it's a comedy.
Or, at least a better comedy than action flick. I'm really curious to find out why the plane had to keep flying so low to the ground (between falling buildings) instead of just going above it. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation.
I've seen the trailer twice at the movies and all I can say is that I am disappointed in John Cusack. Did he get married or have kids or something to where he just needs money?
As hard as it is to believe, directors don't seem to be throwing big-budget movie leads at Cusack left and right. You take what you can get.
I'm really curious to find out why the plane had to keep flying so low to the ground (between falling buildings) instead of just going above it. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation.
no no no, you're not getting it. the buildings were falling up.
I really really want to see this now, if for nothing else, to spite Speedz.
Hey, it's your money.
no no no, you're not getting it. the buildings were falling up.
Ah, like the land where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems.
Ah, like the land where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems.
Haha, what a craaazy land!*puts the duck down*I'll probably sees this on DVD because it has to be good for some laughs, right?
That's what I thought.I asked the question to somebody else and he was all like, "Dude, seismic waves can travel up to 15,000 mph!"But I just laughed at him. I said earthquakes, not waterquakes! LOL!
LOL of course you can outrun an earthquake if you're in a car. Come on guys. Land can only fall into the ocean at the speed of gravity, which is 32 ft/s^2, and because the land's not falling very far it can't keep speeding up. Like, the land is all connected so it's gonna fall a lot like dominos, and at the rate of 32 ft/s, which is only about 22 mph. Even a limo can outrun that. Hope that clears it up.
Both of these posts are funny.I think paying to see this movie is like paying to have shit smeared on yuor face like peanut butter by a Hollywood producer (you know who you are) who is laughing uncontrollably while he watches his bank account skyrocket. "AHAHAHAHAAAA...Who needs prestige films???!!! AHAHAHAAAAAA!!!"

YEAH BRO YEAH BRO I'M REWATCHIN ANTONIONI'S ENTIRE OEUVRE BECAUSE THAT TRAILER WAS SO BUNK DUDE IT LEFT A BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH BRO SOMEONE PUT ON A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE RIGHT QUICK 'FORE I START VOMITIN BRO

• 1 month later...
I really really want to see this now, if for nothing else, to spite Speedz.
I forgot about my ulterior motive behind seeing this.
Hey, it's your money.
Ha! No it wasn't. My friend paid. Of course, I spent almost $500 on him this weekend, but I didn't shell out the 6 bucks for this bad boy.It was worse than any of you imagined. My buddy who loves terrible big budget movies just for special effects, even he thought this was bad. They literally almost die, everywhere they go, the just beat the earth destroying them at ever point of their journey. They also fly under building multiple times.

sigh so disapointed over the reviews of this.. probly wont even go see it now :club: movie has so much potential how the fk you going to make it pg-13 tho ?? come fukcing on !! i really really wish this lived up to the hype but doesnt sound like it .

sigh so disapointed over the reviews of this.. probly wont even go see it now :club: movie has so much potential how the fk you going to make it pg-13 tho ?? come fukcing on !! i really really wish this lived up to the hype but doesnt sound like it .
You should have made that decision by seeing the trailer.