Dear Poker World,I am looking for the best advice and for myself trying to figure out a way to get back on the right road. Let me explain my situation.I am only 20 years old, and since I learned how to play poker a few years back I have been quite addicted to the game. Of course like most people, I had a win here and there and thought I was a good player and could get better. In the last 2-3 weeks I have really, to put it short, screwed myself over for a long time and now I am looking everywhere for the best advice on what I should do. I have put myself 2,500 in debt on pokerstars and fulltilt. I admit I am very stupid, and something like this should not have happened to someone like myself. I got caught up in the idea of winning that I didn't account for the fact that I will f*** my life up. I can't go to my father. I am too embarrassed to face anybody. I am currently in college, and I can't go anywhere to get 2,500 dollars. Like I said, I am not looking for sympathy here. I did this to myself, and I will pay the consequences very shortly. I just want to know, if there are any similar stories or anybody that has any advice on the best actions to take. As of right now, I owe pstars and fulltilt the money, and until I have it available they are attempting to take it from my checking account. If the money isn't there, I get the return check charge and more in debt. This situation is unbelievably bad, I just wonder how I got to be this stubborn. My ideas have been to take out a loan, (on top of ones I already have for school), so I can fix this situation and never go back to it. However, I do not know where to get a loan and even if I can get a loan. Like I said, I am a college student and 2,500 is a lot considering I can barely work. I am currently job searching right now to have 2 jobs while in school and playing baseball. I am feeling like I may have to drop out, but that again would leave me embarrassed to face anybody and everybody. Please, if anybody out there can provide the best course of actions for me, let me know. I really appreciate it and right now am trying to stay optimistic and confident that I can overcome the problem I currently have and will guarantee that poker may be out of my future for awhile. Thanks so much. Peter Wagner

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you become indebted to Pokerstars & Tilt? Dumb question maybe, but I didn't realize they let you play on credit. Credit Card yes, but poker site credit?I'm not being a douche just trying to understand the situation.

How did you become indebted to Pokerstars & Tilt? Dumb question maybe, but I didn't realize they let you play on credit. Credit Card yes, but poker site credit?I'm not being a douche just trying to understand the situation.
I appreciate the response.Pokestars and Fulltilt allow for E-check cashing. In the past I had used it and I was ok to use it because I had the funds in my bank account. So they allow you to make a deposit through e checks, and they credit you with the funds right away.Very dumb of me, I know but now that I am in this situation I have to fix it. I guess it is a lesson learned. A big lesson.
I appreciate the response.Pokestars and Fulltilt allow for E-check cashing. In the past I had used it and I was ok to use it because I had the funds in my bank account. So they allow you to make a deposit through e checks, and they credit you with the funds right away.Very dumb of me, I know but now that I am in this situation I have to fix it. I guess it is a lesson learned. A big lesson.
your story makes no sense. if you deposit through echeck wouldn't you just deposit like a hundred bucks or whatever and then they take that out of your checking account? unless you made a deposit of $2500 and didn't have the money in your checking account i guess. but then that would be just silly.
your story makes no sense. if you deposit through echeck wouldn't you just deposit like a hundred bucks or whatever and then they take that out of your checking account? unless you made a deposit of $2500 and didn't have the money in your checking account i guess. but then that would be just silly.
My guess is that this is what he did.
My guess is that this is what he did.
Yes and no.Like I said, not the smartest kid in the world but I am not looking to be made fun of. I am asking for advice.I went on pstars and made a deposit of 400. I lost it, so I made another. Obviously you can tell, I kept losing and trying to win it back. I just couldn't stop myself. Please, any advice?

I can't go to my fatherI think you can and you must. Even if not for the money, if you really have a problem you need to open up to those who are closest to you such as family. Only by confronting your mistakes can you start the process of healing. There is, unfortunately no quick fix i'm afraid.

I can't go to my fatherI think you can and you must. Even if not for the money, if you really have a problem you need to open up to those who are closest to you such as family. Only by confronting your mistakes can you start the process of healing. There is, unfortunately no quick fix i'm afraid.
I agree. I have made some mistakes in my life. No matter how embarrassed/embarrassing what you did it will feel better to tell someone, such as a father, what you are going through and how sorry you are at the mistake you made.If he decides to help you out is entirely up to him as you know, but asking him to help you with this debt may be your best choice in the long run. I think you would rather have to pay back your family instead of having Stars/Tilt breathing down your neck for a payment. Maybe your family & yourself can set up some sort of payment plan to pay back whomever clears this debt for you so as not to make you do something drastic like quitting school over 2.5k.Just my thoughts. Good Luck with everything.

Seriously, going to your dad and explaining the situation would be the best thing to do. Also, like previously stated playing poker may not be in your best interest in the future. We all make mistakes, just man up and admit them to your dad. Hopefully you come up with the money and consider this a life lesson.

GL man. As noted above, you are going to tell your pops about it.2.5K isn't worth dropping school and derailing your life. He'll probably feel that way as well, even if he beats the shit out of you first and you end up paying this off for some while.Coming clean is the first step to fixing your dilemma.

Dude there is only 1 solution. CAR WASH!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO. C'mon Car Wash! Who doesn't want a carwash? You will make 2.5K easy.That or just ask rcgs59, she likes to give FCP'ers large amounts of money.

2.5k isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Since your young you'll easily be able to recover and move on in a couple months. I think the only option you have is to go to your parents and let them know the situation. You're young, you made a mistake, it happens. The important thing is that you learn from it. You should value your education more and stay in school. College will allow you to get a high paying job easier than someone without an education. In 10 years when you have your B.A. and are making 80k/year you'll look back and laugh at this whole thing. Keep your eye on the longterm.

2.5k isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Since your young you'll easily be able to recover and move on in a couple months. I think the only option you have is to go to your parents and let them know the situation. You're young, you made a mistake, it happens. The important thing is that you learn from it. You should value your education more and stay in school. College will allow you to get a high paying job easier than someone without an education. In 10 years when you have your B.A. and are making 80k/year you'll look back and laugh at this whole thing. Keep your eye on the longterm.That'll be $24,000. Thanks.
FYP :club:

Thanks all for responding. I think once I get the courage, I will call my Dad and let him know. I am currently at school and talk to him every now and then, lying and saying everything is going great. I will try to man up and tell him, but this will not be easy. First off, we come from a very poor background and he will not be able to help me out at all. This sucks. But I do appreciate you all. Thanks.

Thanks all for responding. I think once I get the courage, I will call my Dad and let him know. I am currently at school and talk to him every now and then, lying and saying everything is going great. I will try to man up and tell him, but this will not be easy. First off, we come from a very poor background and he will not be able to help me out at all. This sucks. But I do appreciate you all. Thanks.
Yeah, I mean, even if he can't help you financially he's in a better position to give you life advice than we are. And it's usually good policy to be open with your family anyway. GL, run good one time.
Yeah, I mean, even if he can't help you financially he's in a better position to give you life advice than we are. And it's usually good policy to be open with your family anyway. GL, run good one time.
Thanks man.I have ran good a lot. My problem is I can't stop when ahead. I am a complete screw up. I ran my bankroll up to 6K once. And the next day lost it. Thanks though. You are really supportive and I do not mean to share my life story with you. Just trying to figure out where I went wrong. I know I will gain from this but this is the worse feeling ever. Good luck to you man. Thanks again.
Thanks man.I have ran good a lot. My problem is I can't stop when ahead. I am a complete screw up. I ran my bankroll up to 6K once. And the next day lost it. Just trying to figure out where I went wrong. I know I will gain from this but this is the worse feeling ever.
Such is the problem for "decent" players with some gamble in them when they go on sick heaters. Instead of realizing the sick heater and the benefit of steadying the course, we'll (ill include myself here) try to jump up multiple levels as if our games are magically that much more sophisticated just because of our bankroll swell. At that point it's as good as chum to the sharks.For what it's worth, you'll feel worse. people will die, sickness and disease will creep in, etc. This sucks because it's "now", but in the scheme of life, while you won't forget this (if you are truly learning from it) it will subside like anything else in life.Learn from this. Someday when this has been resolved and you play again (which you will....because poker is fun), look back to your july post on your blog about grinding up the .01/.02 to get a roll going again, etc. I think you'll have a much more profound respect for sticking within your limitations in your next go around, etc.