Least Favorite Sports Show Personality

Simmons talking about "stat guys" and the decision to go for it on 4th down by atlanta made me so, so very angry. His main defense was this " Listen stat guys.. tell me this.. if going for it on fourth down SUCH a good idea, how are the only two times people have talked about it in the past couple years ( patriots and falcons) been when it's failed? Hmm? if it's SUCH a good idea, why does it keep failing?"
Well, the second time it failed obviously validated the first failure.I was even more amused by the Dan and Stugotz discussion of the same thing. I don't understand how people can take the numbers ("look, going for it increases their chances of winning by 5%") and just so easily dismiss them. "But if they don't get it they lose!" That's factored into the percentages! Aagh!
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's absolute insanity to questions collinsworth's greatness. he and al michaels are the GOAT announcing team.

Whitlock did a hit piece on Bomani today. Prior to this, I thought he and Bomani were boys. Bomani goes out of his way to defend Whitlock, and he's basically the only one on #BlackTwitter who capes fo

Joe Buck acts like he is God's gift to announcing. Also because he always hates on Minnesota sports....actually...that is mostly the reason.Moss mooning incident against GB is the most clear memory I

• 2 weeks later...
Why does Bill Simmons guess the football lines every week? Does anyone on earth find that interesting?
I really enjoy their Mike and the Mad Dog parody even though it's not really a parody and I've never heard Mike and the Mad Dog.Also, lol at Indy getting 21 points this week. 21!
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting closer to understanding why the "go for every 4th down" thing makes sense statistically, but I still just don't know. It just seems like it would change the game so much that it isn't even fair to use stats from a "punt on 4th down" game to make assumptions about exactly how many more wins a team would get because of it.I feel like I probably hate John Steigerwald more than any other sports columnist/host/personality, and I've only read one of his articles and a few blurbs about things he has said. Granted, all my knowledge of him is via the Hot Clicks, but still..."John Steigerwald of Observer-Reporter.com thinks the Giants fan who was put in a coma at the end of the Dodgers home opener was to blame for the situation because he had the gall to wear a Giants jersey to Dodgers Stadium. In addition, the story identifies the victim as Bryan Snow. It's Bryan Stow. And he's from Santa Cruz, not Sacramento. And the column has a typo in the headline."More recently...

I'm getting closer to understanding why the "go for every 4th down" thing makes sense statistically, but I still just don't know. It just seems like it would change the game so much that it isn't even fair to use stats from a "punt on 4th down" game to make assumptions about exactly how many more wins a team would get because of it.
I don't think you can prove that going for it on every 4th down would be better without actually doing it. But I think there's enough solid statistical analysis to warrant some team trying it. What's interesting about football (and maybe all sports?) is that most of the innovation starts at lower levels and works its way up. So we already have a few high schools trying it, eventually some DIII or minor college teams will try it, then a major program...then the NFL? Assuming that it works, of course. The University of Oregon already goes for it on 4th down in that middle of the field area and not just short yardage situations, so I think we're headed in that direction.Speaking of trying new things, if this Tebow thing doesn't ultimately work out, he could still be incredibly valuable as a QB. If Denver had a good "normal" QB (not a great one), he could be the starter and play something like 75% of the possessions, but then you give Tebow the other 25% and run that college-style offense. Now defenses can't spend all week preparing for it, they have to split their time, which should make him even more effective. You wouldn't do it if you had a top tier QB because they should get all the snaps and you wouldn't do it if you had a bad QB because then you just stick with Tebow all the time. But if you had one of those many QB's in that creamy middle, I think it would be a good strategy.
I don't think you can prove that going for it on every 4th down would be better without actually doing it. But I think there's enough solid statistical analysis to warrant some team trying it. What's interesting about football (and maybe all sports?) is that most of the innovation starts at lower levels and works its way up. So we already have a few high schools trying it, eventually some DIII or minor college teams will try it, then a major program...then the NFL? Assuming that it works, of course. The University of Oregon already goes for it on 4th down in that middle of the field area and not just short yardage situations, so I think we're headed in that direction.
Another issue making it hard to prove is the fact that anyone could say "but they'd be just as good/bad or they'd be better/worse by doing it the other way" and how do you prove that?
Speaking of trying new things, if this Tebow thing doesn't ultimately work out, he could still be incredibly valuable as a QB. If Denver had a good "normal" QB (not a great one), he could be the starter and play something like 75% of the possessions, but then you give Tebow the other 25% and run that college-style offense. Now defenses can't spend all week preparing for it, they have to split their time, which should make him even more effective. You wouldn't do it if you had a top tier QB because they should get all the snaps and you wouldn't do it if you had a bad QB because then you just stick with Tebow all the time. But if you had one of those many QB's in that creamy middle, I think it would be a good strategy.
Maybe, but I feel like there's also something to say for an offense getting in a rhythm, and the fact that learning two full offenses is a difficult task.
Maybe, but I feel like there's also something to say for an offense getting in a rhythm, and the fact that learning two full offenses is a difficult task.
Yeah, Peter King sort of addressed this. He said if the Broncos decide that Tebow is their guy, they need to draft a backup QB who can run because your whole offense would be designed around that.But I think if you're practicing this offense 25% of the time every week plus training camps, you're way ahead of the defenses that practice against it 25% of just that one week.
Voted Worst Commentator in poll of 237 players.2 - Chris Berman3 - Warren Sapp4 - Troy Aikman5 - Ron Jaworski6 - Jon Gruden7 - Matt Millen8 - Skip Bayless9 - Mike Mayock10 - Terry Bradshaw
Finally... someone agrees with me.I'm a huge Cowboys fan, but man, I really hate Troy Aikman. He is the worst. (Not the actual worst, mind you. That will always be Collinsworth.)
I don't know if these charges are true or not, but I couldn't get more glee out of seeing Bill Conlin being put through the ringerhttp://deadspin.com/5869867/a-guide-to-the...?tag=billconlinThis guy was Mariotti on the sports reporters 15 years before around the horn.
Good job, people.At no time did any parents go to the police, even though they were aware of what their children said Conlin had done. Instead, they settled for "stern warnings to Conlin and a decision to shield the children from further contact with him."
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what jocktocracy idiot was calling the Nebraska-USC Gamecocks game, but holy shit i was so angry with him. I mean, I was already angry because of the game. But there was a play where nebraska fumbled and this jock goon was railing on abdullah, saying "you have to protect the football, you just can't be careless there". And on replay, the kid specifically braced himself for the hit,and put two hands on the ball, high and tight. It was just a great play by the SC kid, but this goon was just throwing out cliches. Then, every time Pelini or spurrier would go for it on 4th and short, this bozo was just crying about how risky it was and what a bad mistake it was. God, i wish i was the head of ABC so I could have given him the hook on air.

Voted Worst Commentator in poll of 237 players.2 - Chris Berman3 - Warren Sapp4 - Troy Aikman5 - Ron Jaworski6 - Jon Gruden7 - Matt Millen8 - Skip Bayless9 - Mike Mayock10 - Terry Bradshaw
wow 237 players took the time to fill out this stupid poll? I bet they really sat down and thought hard about this.
I don't know what jocktocracy idiot was calling the Nebraska-USC Gamecocks game, but holy shit i was so angry with him. I mean, I was already angry because of the game. But there was a play where nebraska fumbled and this jock goon was railing on abdullah, saying "you have to protect the football, you just can't be careless there". And on replay, the kid specifically braced himself for the hit,and put two hands on the ball, high and tight. It was just a great play by the SC kid, but this goon was just throwing out cliches. Then, every time Pelini or spurrier would go for it on 4th and short, this bozo was just crying about how risky it was and what a bad mistake it was. God, i wish i was the head of ABC so I could have given him the hook on air.
that was rod gilmore, and he's an idiot.
From James Andrew Miller (aka the guy who wrote that ESPN book):Jim Rome's yearly income from the radio show is around $30M.That's about six times more than I would've guessed.
...and about 30m times more than I think he's worth.
From James Andrew Miller (aka the guy who wrote that ESPN book):Jim Rome's yearly income from the radio show is around $30M.That's about six times more than I would've guessed.
Not me . I've heard that he's third in the big three of Howard, Limbaugh and Rome, and then there's a huge gap in pay between the next one. Rome plays in like every market in the country, sometimes on multiple stations.
  • 4 weeks later...
This is definitely the most disappointing new thing I learned today. I'm gonna go watch a clip of Jim Everette punching him in his stupid face to cheer myself up.
  • 1 month later...

I kind of love that Bobby Knight petulantly refuses to say Kentucky or Indiana on air. I can't imagine a single other announcer on ESPN getting away with something like that. The only reason i can come up with on how he gets away with it is that everyone is terrified of him, his direct producers, the mid and upper level management. Some people are getting pissed about it and getting on their high horse about it, but I think it's just hilarious that they can't control him (or refuse to).