Random Basketball Observations

According to LeBatard, a "high ranking Miami official" says that the Spurs don't scare them because Boston is better. Which is so absurd it hurts me. His reasoning was Garnett > Duncan, Rondo > Parker, Pierce > Manu, Allen > Spurs 3 pt shooters, Boston defense > Spurs defense. I guess if you're Miami you look at teams that way. All individual pieces. Not to mention that he's wrong about some of those comparisons anyway.
I can guarantee Pat Riley does not look at teams that way. Miami defends the pick and roll as well as anybody in the last decade so they have a great shot against San Antonio (especially if they stick Lebron on Parker as often as possible) but I think most credible basketball people know SA is the favorite. 34-4 is what it is.There are a lot of "high-ranking Miami officials" who are just related to owner Mickey Arison including his son. I bet it's one of them.
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

I don't really think the Spurs are a pick-and-roll team. That's part of their offense, but there's a lot more movement and off the ball screens. The Heat defend the pick-and-roll by going hard at the ball-handler because he's usually the biggest threat (like Derrick Rose), but if the Spurs can hit Duncan or Diaw rolling, they are very good passers with several options. I think a Spurs-Heat match-up would be fascinating while a Thunder-Heat match-up would be all about star power and athleticism. Which would be a different kind of fascinating. Either way, it should be a really fun Finals.

I really couldn't care less what they wear.
This is absolutely where I am. I don't care, and wouldn't notice, if ESPN wasn't always shouting "Look at Wade's pink pants!"

I should probably clarify, even at the risk of you unliking my post...I do like seeing what they're wearing. Mostly to get a chuckle or two. "Look at Lebron's tiny purse!" But it just doesn't upset me in any way.

Lebron and Wade went from 35 FTAs in Game 2 to 5 total in Game 3 including zero for Wade (which I'm sure happens approximately never). Whine and ye shall receive apparently.

Lebron and Wade went from 35 FTAs in Game 2 to 5 total in Game 3 including zero for Wade (which I'm sure happens approximately never). Whine and ye shall receive apparently.
Combination of regression to the mean and extra millions in revenue from an extra game or two in this series.
Combination of regression to the mean and extra millions in revenue from an extra game or two in this series.
Their mean is a lot higher than 5. It's just human nature; Boston complains loudly and they get a game of favorable whistles. I've seen it happen so many times. I just hope Boston's shooting regresses to the mean soon.
dajuan blair break away dunk attempt had to be one of the funnier things i've ever seen. he literally has a 3 inch vertical.
Let's see how high you could jump if you were 350 pounds and had no cartilage in your knees

Bill Kennedy and Joey Crawford shouldn't be on the same officiating team. Both guys love making the hero calls. Put Scott Foster with them and they'll be stepping over each other to be the guy who makes the big call.I think the Paul Pierce foul-out call was worse than the Lebron one. Post-up contact, in my opinion, is the hardest stuff to call. I don't think the offensive player should be allowed to keep pushing the defensive player backwards, but I hate seeing the defensive player flop on any little contact. I don't know where the line is. I don't think Pietrus flopped though. I think he was off-balance and Lebron backed into him with a lot of strength and weight and so he went down. Maybe it's a no-call, but it's tough to just let things go when players are hitting the floor. I don't have any problem with Lebron passing at the end of regulation. He made a move to create and didn't have a good look. The idea of the pass was better than the execution though. Took too long to get to Haslem. Chalmers was crazy open at the end of OT, but Wade wanted to play hero. I don't even have a problem with that, except that he wanted to shoot a 3 and he's a bad 3-pt shooter. If the options are Wade driving for a shortish jumper or an open Chalmers 3, I think you live with either one. But if it's Wade pump fake, off-balance 3 or open Chalmers 3, you really want Chalmers in that situation.I think all the Spurs adulation made people forget that the Thunder are also really, really good. I hope this goes 7.

I don't know why, but that's like the funniest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm still laughing.

I think he's in the discussion anyway. He can make passes that most players can't, but he also probably turns it over too much.Is there somewhere that breaks down turnovers by type? Pass/foul/dribble type of thing.Edit: If I had to pick someone, I'd probably still go Steve Nash. Calderon has a really good assist to turnover ratio, but I've never really watched him play, so I don't know how good of a passer he really is.

Calderon is a good passer but he plays it safe mostly which is why he doesn't turn it over much. You don't look for the great pass from him.