Random Basketball Observations

Big trade for Dallas.Cuban basically is playing the current system to try and win this year and next and he doesn't care how much he spends in luxury tax to do it.Dampier's contract can also be thought of as an expiring deal since next year isn't guaranteed and any team trading for him can just cut him loose in the off season so there's still a chance they make another move.
i'm just guessing here, but I would think they'd want that contract to expire so they mavs can sign a big free agent this summer.
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

i'm just guessing here, but I would think they'd want that contract to expire so they mavs can sign a big free agent this summer.
It doesn't work that way.Dallas is going to be way over the cap so they can't sign any free agents other than with the mid-level exemption or minimum contracts. What they can do is use Dampier's contract to trade for another player who is signed longer term and their team wants to save money.
It doesn't work that way.Dallas is going to be way over the cap so they can't sign any free agents other than with the mid-level exemption or minimum contracts. What they can do is use Dampier's contract to trade for another player who is signed longer term and their team wants to save money.
Ah, I didn't know they were so far over the cap, but that makes sense.
Do i want the cavs to get Amare = haven't people been calling him overrated for a long time?
Amare makes sense for Miami not Cleveland. Cavs need a 4 that stretches the floor and hits threes (Jamison or Troy Murphy would be great). Sadly, the Suns do not like Beasley at all.....but they do like JJ Hickson enough. The 76ers can get Amare by offering Iguodala I think.JJJ, Sideshow got it worse because he is bigger than Wade so it is more embarrassing.
jesus the dunk contest is terrible now.
the last few years were good. Last night was horrible though. Along with the dunks the guys have to play to the crowd which nobody did last night.The HORSE was fun again though... the shoot-off at the end with Rondo and Durant was cool.The Inside the NBA crew make the All star weekend great. Friday Night they were showing "the best of Inside the NBA" clips. ****ing hilarious. There was a clip where Kenny and Charles had a race with who could change a diaper the fastest on a plastic baby. When Charles took off his diaper the baby had a bunch of brown stuff that looked like shit all over it. I was laughing my ass off.
jesus the dunk contest is terrible now.
lol @ Shannon Brown.
JJJ, Sideshow got it worse because he is bigger than Wade so it is more embarrassing.
I agree, but I do love the look on Fisher's face when he's on the ground. It's not even an embarrassed look, it's a "oh my god, did he just do that?" look.
If the Cavs get Stoudemire they're winning the East. If they do nothing to improve, they're not.
I like Stoudemire on the Cavs with Big Z because Z can step outside. How well did Shaq and Stoudemire work together in Phoenix?But who do you think beats Cleveland unimproved? Orlando again? I think Boston is the team that needs a trade to get out of the east.Oh, and Paul Pierce winning the 3-point contest made me want to puke. That guy rubs me the wrong way.
I like Stoudemire on the Cavs with Big Z because Z can step outside. How well did Shaq and Stoudemire work together in Phoenix?But who do you think beats Cleveland unimproved? Orlando again? I think Boston is the team that needs a trade to get out of the east.
It looks like Z would go to Phoenix, so Stoudemire would be playing most of his minutes with Varejao. I like that frontcourt against anybody but the Lakers. You have to find a way to exploit Stoudemire defensively, but with Varejao playing at the same time the only team with the personnel to do that are the Lakers.I think Orlando and Boston will beat them as they are now. I also think Atlanta can beat them if Woodson knows how to defend them properly.I still like Boston to come out the East, although they might very well get worn down. They need that 2 seed more than anyone, so they can get somebody like Miami and have the possibility of 2 five-game series'. If they end up in the 4 spot and have to play two 6 or 7-game series', they might be cooked by ECF.
It looks like Z would go to Phoenix, so Stoudemire would be playing most of his minutes with Varejao. I like that frontcourt against anybody but the Lakers. You have to find a way to exploit Stoudemire defensively, but with Varejao playing at the same time the only team with the personnel to do that are the Lakers.I think Orlando and Boston will beat them as they are now. I also think Atlanta can beat them if Woodson knows how to defend them properly.I still like Boston to come out the East, although they might very well get worn down. They need that 2 seed more than anyone, so they can get somebody like Miami and have the possibility of 2 five-game series'. If they end up in the 4 spot and have to play two 6 or 7-game series', they might be cooked by ECF.
I liked the line that Charles Barkley had about Boston getting healthy. Something along the lines of old players don't get healthy.I might be a bit of a homer but I think the Raptors are going to the wildcard in the East especially if they play Cleveland or Orlando. Bosh and Barny are a really hard combo to guard for traditional big centers. Shaq is worse than useless on defense against the Raptors and they can force Howard away from the basket where he isn't as good defensively.I think the Raptors won't have much hope against Atlanta and will struggle against Boston if the old Celtics are healthy.
What the hell is Phoenix going to do with him?
They'll negotiate a buyout with him that will save them some money so that they might not have to pay luxury tax this year.
I liked the line that Charles Barkley had about Boston getting healthy. Something along the lines of old players don't get healthy.
Old people don't get healthy. They die.If Boston gets the 2 seed, and Orlando is the 4, I'm betting all the money I have on Boston to win the East.

Marcus Camby to the Blazers for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw.I think this makes the Blazers better, but certainly not enough to make them contenders. All players are in the final year of their contracts, so this doesn't have any financial impact.

If Boston gets the 2 seed, and Orlando is the 4, I'm betting all the money I have on Boston to win the East.
You have watched KG play, right? Do you think he's saving something for the playoffs? Because from what we learned in the past is that he goes all out all the time and is usually worn down by the playoffs. I don't know how Boston gets out of the east with a mediocre Garnett.
Marcus Camby to the Blazers for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw.I think this makes the Blazers better, but certainly not enough to make them contenders. All players are in the final year of their contracts, so this doesn't have any financial impact.
The financial considerations are that the Clippers are also getting $3 million in cash from Portland and we all know how cheap Sterling is.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d...?urn=nba,219945
For the Blazers? This is huge. I wouldn't trust Juwan Howard(notes) to guard the front of the rim as a power forward in 1997, much less as a center in 2010. Nothing against the man's effort level. Howard's worked his tail off, but he's not going to help a team that was rather middling defensively last year and the year before without Greg Oden(notes). And, not sure you've heard, but the Blazers are without Greg Oden right now.If Camby's effort level is on high — and considering his history and the trade's circumstances, this is far from a given — the Blazers could really make a run here. Marcus isn't going to move Andrew Bynum(notes) out of position or shove Nene out of the paint, but he does help. He will change shots and cover and he's the absolute best tonic (best deadline-available, tonic) I can think of for a team that badly needs help defending the paint. The Blazers had the best 1-2 center punch in the NBA heading into this season and lost both. A sickening blow, and the addition of a do-everything 7-footer with an expiring deal comes off as a needed bit of good luck.The Clippers? There's no point to this deal. Basketball-wise, at least. We knew Camby was gone as soon as Dunleavy retired to the front office. But for this? No prospects, no draft picks, the same amount of expiring money that Camby was going to provide had he stayed on? Just a little cash thrown Sterling's way? It's pathetic. It's so damn Clipper-y. I hate that. You should, too.And it's only Dunleavy looking to save his gig. Essentially trading for his potential 2010-11 salary from Portland owner Paul Allen and dropping it in Sterling's lap. So stupefyingly transparent, something that could only happen in this league, and to this team. The Blazers need a big man, and Mike Dunleavy needs to sell out. All over save the shouting. And the steak.
Bill Simmons did his annual trade value rankings column.Without comments:Group J: "I Can't, People Will Know I Have No Clue What I'm Doing"40. Ricky Rubio39. Zach Randolph38. Tony Parker37. Al Jefferson36. David Lee35. Chauncey Billups34. Rudy GayGroup H. "Cost-Effective Building Blocks"33. David West32. Stephen Curry31. Eric Gordon30. Russell Westbrook29. O.J. Mayo28. Kevin Love27. Marc GasolGroup G: "We'll Discuss Him, But You Can't Tell ANYONE"26. Danny Granger25. Gerald Wallace24. Joe JohnsonGroup F: "Just Know, He's Worth More To Us Than To You"23. Blake Griffin22. Josh Smith21. Andrew Bynum20. Al HorfordGroup E: "Only If They Asked to Leave"19. Pau Gasol18. Paul Pierce17. Steve NashGroup D: "Effectively Untouchable"16. Rajon Rondo15. Tyreke Evans14. Brook LopezGroup C: "It Makes Us Angry That You'd Even Ask"13. Tim Duncan12. Chris Bosh11. Dirk Nowitzki10. Deron Williams9. Brandon Roy8. Derrick RoseGroup B: "Lemme Save You Some Time: N-O"7. Chris Paul6. Carmelo AnthonyGroup A: "Completely And Utterly Untouchable"5. Kobe Bryant4. Dwyane Wade3. Kevin Durant2. Dwight Howard1. LeBron James
I'd have Durant number 2. But I'm huge on him.
Me too, but that's just because he's super-duper awesome.I feel pretty stupid for having argued that Oden was the right pick for the Blazers.
You have watched KG play, right? Do you think he's saving something for the playoffs? Because from what we learned in the past is that he goes all out all the time and is usually worn down by the playoffs. I don't know how Boston gets out of the east with a mediocre Garnett.
I'm aware. I don't think they need Garnett at 100% if things break right for them. The guy they need to be all there is Pierce.

Phewwww! So glad it's Jamison, not Stoudemire. I guess they think getting a free Jamison is better than getting Stoudemire for Hickson? Horrible, undersized defender on a defense-oriented team, but definitely makes them more flexible with their lineups. It's going to be interesting to see what their 5 is going to be closing out games.