Random Basketball Observations

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

So on the Lebatard show they played the Rome Vs Stern clip, and afterwards Stugotz was saying stern was at fault, and started getting on his high horse saying " you can't just ask a guy if hes still beating his wife!!!," all outraged that Stern would say something so inflammatory. CLEARLY not getting the point of why Stern said that, IE that Rome was asking Stern a loaded question that there was no good way to answer ("are you still beating your wife" being the most famous text book example of a loaded question). I literally facepalmed myself when Stugotz said that. So Dan explained what Stern meant there, clearly and concisely. And then Stugotz semi interrupted him, in a shrill, annoyed and dismissive tone saying " I understand that, Dan..." and then IMMEDIATELY PROCEDED TO MAKE THE SAME POINT AGAIN ABOUT HOW IT"S INAPPROPRIATE TO ASK ROME IF HE'S BEATING HIS WIFE, proving that he in fact did not understand what Dan was saying. At all. What ever college that gave Stugotz an English Degree should have it's charter revoked.

Sure it's a loaded question. OR at least, it's a question that Stern, in all situations, will answer "no". If it's not true, of course he's going answer no. If it is true, that would make Stern the type of guy that would commit serious fraud, conspire to commit felonies, and would risk the ruin of his league, in order to give the Hornets the first pick. IF he was that type of amoral guy, and would take that kind of risk, both for his league, and his own personal freedom, if he is that guy, then under NO circumstances would he ever be honest and say " yes Jim, we conspired to fix the lottery. you got me". It's a preposterous thing to ask, and you're only asking it to get a reaction and to judge the way stern answers it, because you already know the answer he's going to give. If Rome had, you know, one shred of evidence that it was fixed, then he should ask about that evidence. But just asking if a wild conspiracy theory, that questions both his and the league's integrity is true, I don't blame Stern at all for being prickly, and I think Rome acted like a petulant child to be honest.

I was in Chicago before Jordan won and he was talked about a lot as the Ernie Banks of Basketball who would never winIn the Jordan rules Bill Cartwright was quoted as saying that Michael was great but his game wasn't basketballJordan also was a complete ass to his lesser teammates not only wasn't he supportive to them he would make them look silly in practice and ruin their confidence - perhaps he did this to Kwame Brown tooI'm not a Jordan hater by any means but anyone who says that Jordan wouldn't have left the Bulls like LeBron did is absurdly wrong - Lebron has never ragged on his teammate or coach publically - Jordan did and probably had Doug Collins firedJordan finally won because Scottie Pippen despite unreal scrutiny finally became a man and a truly great baller and Horace Grant was too ornery to take Jordan's shitI'm in Cleveland and the anti-Lebron thing is pathetic to me - LeBron losing doesn't make people in Cleveland a winner - and sure the Deciscion was an awful spectacle but all around the guy is never in trouble - his teammates always love him - he plays a ton of minutes guards everyone and carries the entire offenseI root for greatness to be achieved and LeBron hype from high school aside is incredible - he came out of high school and people said he couldn't shoot or play defense and look at him now - really what more can this guy doThe only legitimate argument against him is that he has melted down a few times, which I credit to the fact that he really has had more pressure put on him than anyone in history - his disappearance in that Boston game I attribute to his frustration at the fact that despite his best he knew that with his teammates he just couldn't winLast year's finals I'm not sure what happened - maybe he isn't the fiercest competitor of all time like Jordan was but game 6 in Boston and the game 4 in Indiana were good steps for him - I hope he continues to grow and finally cashes in this season - Jordan still ranks ahead of him but even with Kobe's rings and fire I still rather have LeBron on my team

And then Stugotz semi interrupted him, in a shrill, annoyed and dismissive tone saying " I understand that, Dan..." and then IMMEDIATELY PROCEDED TO MAKE THE SAME POINT AGAIN ABOUT HOW IT"S INAPPROPRIATE TO ASK ROME IF HE'S BEATING HIS WIFE, proving that he in fact did not understand what Dan was saying. At all. What ever college that gave Stugotz an English Degree should have it's charter revoked.
EmotionalTautology_medium.pngI don't think Rome's question would be considered a loaded question, but it's certainly a stupid question. Like BigD said, it's never going to get an answer that means anything. Is saying "no" going to convince anyone who thinks otherwise? And why do we need to spend time on this anyway? It's a fun topic to joke about and come up with all these conspiracy theories, but I didn't think people actually thought it was rigged. Stern was smug and condescending, which is pretty much par for the course with him. Reminded me of Walter and the Dude. "Calmer than you are."I'm seeing a lot of people picking Miami tonight. I put some more money on them because they were +210, which seems absurd to me.
I'm seeing a lot of people picking Miami tonight. I put some more money on them because they were +210, which seems absurd to me.
Who? Maybe because of this: id_normal.jpgtomhaberstroh Tom HaberstrohDan Crawford is reffing tonight. In D-Wade era, Heat are 14-3 (.824) in playoffs when he refs, 48-40 (.545) all others.
Who? Maybe because of this:id_normal.jpgtomhaberstroh Tom HaberstrohDan Crawford is reffing tonight. In D-Wade era, Heat are 14-3 (.824) in playoffs when he refs, 48-40 (.545) all others.
Every basketball guy on my Twitter feed. I didn't see the above though; time to double down.

I'm bad at hedging apparently.Durant admitted that Battier's hand in the face move bothers him. Don't know why he would admit to that. Although I suppose Battier would keep doing it regardless of what he said.I don't know where the expression comes from, but I love it when Mike Ryan calls a jump shot "wet." I don't even know what that means. "He's shooting a sponge." What?

Durant admitted that Battier's hand in the face move bothers him. Don't know why he would admit to that. Although I suppose Battier would keep doing it regardless of what he said.
The best reason for him admitting that would be because it's not true. As in, 'Oh that move totalllllly throws me off, I sure hope he doesn't keep doing that cuz it's definitely his best weapon!' I'm mostly kidding / wishfully thinking though.

Haralabob said, based on his defensive metrics that he doesn't share, it doesn't work against most players. He didn't say anything specifically about Durant; maybe he doesn't have enough data. The article where that quote came from had a sample size of three shots.Edit: I edited this post approximately 12 times.Edit: And it still isn't written very well. 13.

Haralabos Voulgaris@haralabobIf OKC was down 1-0 that would have been a foul.Bill Simmons@sportsguy33Terrible no-call. Just terrible. I feel dirty.