Random Basketball Observations

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

Congrats all around, ya'll deserved this. The Raps were a cool ass team when they came into the league and seemed close to breakthrough a couple times. Taking on Kawhi was one hell of a gamble, but it paid off.

I was asked in our hockey pool Slack what I thought about the Raptors winning so here are my thoughts.

Toronto was probably the most hungry large sports market for a title. We've experienced a lot of disappointment and ineptitude in this city in all 3 major sports. I'm a long time NBA fan. I watched Bob McAdoo play games in Toronto for the Buffalo Braves. I watched the Raptors as infants playing at the Skydome. I had season tickets during the Vince Carter years and one year went to over 45 games including playoffs. One of the things that I love about the Raptors is the fans. The fans are younger and less White than Leaf fans and reflect the makeup of the most multi-ethnic city in the World.

One of the lazy tropes about the Raptors are that it's a small market which can't be further from the truth. The only cities with larger markets in the NBA are New York and L.A. and the reality is that the Raptors local market is the entire country of Canada which makes them maybe the largest market.

One of the things that I loved about the Raptors the last few years that Masai put together was that there were no knuckle heads or assholes. You won't find Masai adding a Kyrie to any team he's building. They were very easy to cheer for when they were losing to Lebron every year they just weren't good enough. This year they were good enough.

No matter what happens The Raptors are the Champions and as long as Masai is running things I'm confident the right decisions will be made. The Raptors ownership might be the richest in the NBA. Rogers and Bell in Canada combined own both sports networks many other TV stations, are the national cable tv providers and the largest cell phone companies. They can afford to spend as much on things like the training staff and practice facilities etc as anybody. There are reports that the Bullets (Wizards) want to throw a Brinks trunk at Masai but if it's about money the Raptors can always pay more.

I've heard that the wizards are willing to offer an ownership stake, which if true, may be more attractive to Masai than pure dollars. I hope he stays.

I'm hoping Trump helps keep him here. He has two young children. Where would you rather raise your Black kids. Toronto or the United States of Trump. I'm not saying we're perfect here when it comes to racism but we have an edge.

Counterpoint: Washington DC, the actual city and the people who live there, is Chocolate City. Though gentrification is starting to eat away at that a bit, besides Atlanta and NYC, there is no better place I'm the US to be rich and black. If you were making this argument about, say, Milwaukee or Cleveland, I'd see your point. DC elected Marion Barry to the city council after he lost his job as mayor for smoking crack on camera. Black folks are empowered and in power in DC.

Counterpoint: Washington DC, the actual city and the people who live there, is Chocolate City. Though gentrification is starting to eat away at that a bit, besides Atlanta and NYC, there is no better place I'm the US to be rich and black. If you were making this argument about, say, Milwaukee or Cleveland, I'd see your point. DC elected Marion Barry to the city council after he lost his job as mayor for smoking crack on camera. Black folks are empowered and in power in DC.

I'll hang my hat on John Wall's contract then.

I'll hang my hat on John Wall's contract then.

Now THAT is a much better argument against the Wizards. They are going to be crippled for years because of that contract, you'd have to offer an ownership stake in order to make that job attractive to a top tier candidate. One thing you can say about Leonsis, is he's patient and would give Masai plenty of time to get out from under it, based on his track record.

I think this trade is going to backfire on the lakers

if they win a title it's all worth it. The backside risk is huge with those draft picks and the swap options etc.

Could be a win win trade. I think the Pelicans have won for sure.

if they win a title it's all worth it. The backside risk is huge with those draft picks and the swap options etc.

Could be a win win trade. I think the Pelicans have won for sure.

I think it's the swap options that are going to ruin the Lakers. If you're guaranteed a title, I suppose it's worth it. But that title is far from guaranteed, and if I were a prestige franchise like the Lakers, I think my goal would be trying to build sustained success rather than taking huge, risky swings that could derail their franchise for a decade. However, once you sign LeBron, at this age, you've got to take this swing I guess. I just think Griff betting against the Lakers long term competence is a really smart bet

• 4 weeks later...