Random Basketball Observations

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

I just copied and pasted that list from ESPN, but it's actually Doug Goetlieb's list. Chad Ford has White at #29.
oh that's much, much worse.

I don't care who wrote the ****ing list, you losers. The point is that someone at ESPN is agreeing with me. I'm not out on a limb here, all by myself, just shouting nonsense. The dude is a great player, and you idiots will see that in a couple years.

i can't wait for him to be out of the league in three years.
Maybe he'll also be starring in the new Batman movie that takes down Avatar.
Fuck.
It was a pretty valiant effort. Who stays, who goes for Boston? Ray is definitely gone but I think the other 3 stay one more year.

Mehhhhhhh. It was a great run, anyway. Basically nobody thought it would go 7, let alone that Boston would have a legit shot at winning the series. Nothing against you CB, and nothing to do with spite, but go OKC! I know it's terribly cliche but I just hate Lebron. If it was the Spurs I wouldn't care as much, but I also just like this Thunder team.

I like Lebron. Don't really care for the Heat, but really an OKC fan.I really don't think the Heat have much of a chance though. I think this Thunder team is what Miami wishes they were.

It was a pretty valiant effort. Who stays, who goes for Boston? Ray is definitely gone but I think the other 3 stay one more year.
It was a very good game, a great series. Beforehand I didn't think they had much of a shot without Avery, so I can't really complain a lot. Just sucks to be up 3-2, in a position of confidence instead of hope, that makes it more depressing. It's a great question about who they'll keep. If they won it all, I think that would have been a great spot for KG to retire, but with him playing so well, and coming off the tough loss, I think it would be hard for him to walk away. I do think Ray is gone, mostly because they proved they could win without him being a huge part of the offense while Bradley was starting. He's just starting to look old. Pierce is under contract for two more years I believe, and Rondo is wrapped up for more than that. I think they'll give Jeff Green a chance to show he has some heart, and will try to bring Bass back because he mostly was very effective. What they do with Ray's money (which isn't a ton) and the other role guys could be anything.
It was a very good game, a great series. Beforehand I didn't think they had much of a shot without Avery, so I can't really complain a lot. Just sucks to be up 3-2, in a position of confidence instead of hope, that makes it more depressing.It's a great question about who they'll keep. If they won it all, I think that would have been a great spot for KG to retire, but with him playing so well, and coming off the tough loss, I think it would be hard for him to walk away. I do think Ray is gone, mostly because they proved they could win without him being a huge part of the offense while Bradley was starting. He's just starting to look old. Pierce is under contract for two more years I believe, and Rondo is wrapped up for more than that. I think they'll give Jeff Green a chance to show he has some heart, and will try to bring Bass back because he mostly was very effective. What they do with Ray's money (which isn't a ton) and the other role guys could be anything.
...and they always might land Royce White with the 21 or 22 pick. Then: championship.I don't understand how anyone could hate LeBron. He plays very unselfishly, always speaks maturely in interviews, does a lot of charity work, works hard on the court, gets a bunch of rebounds and assists, and seems to be a great teammate (unless you're Mario Chalmers). Now, I fully understand not liking Wade, since he seems more like Kobe Bryant, but if you hate LeBron, you're just a hater.

The Chalmers thing kills me; the Heat treat him like crap uniformly. He has played pretty well these playoffs and yet he is the target of so many eye rolls. Wade even said that "Mario is the reason I could never be a coach."People hate Lebron because we are a society that tears ppl down. If MJ played today, he would be picked apart for his gambling and general dickishness. If Lebron played in the 80s, he would be universally loved. Oh well.I love that people are all over the Thunder. That's exactly what the Heat need.

I thought LeBron was going to murder Chalmers with his eyes.

I just think that the Thunder as a team are much better than the Heat. I don't care who wins. I'll be happy for Lebron or Durant. This should be a great series though. Prediction on how many 40 point games either Lebron or Durant has?

I just think that the Thunder as a team are much better than the Heat. I don't care who wins. I'll be happy for Lebron or Durant. This should be a great series though. Prediction on how many 40 point games either Lebron or Durant has?
Nobody in the league is "much" better than Miami. It's razor thin differences at this level.Lebron has one 40 pt game, Durant has zero. Okc doesn't need Durant to score like that and Miami will be trying to deny him the ball all series.
People hate Lebron because we are a society that tears ppl down. If MJ played today, he would be picked apart for his gambling and general dickishness. If Lebron played in the 80s, he would be universally loved. Oh well.
I disagree. I mean on the one hand people love underdogs. On the other hand guys like Albert Pujols and Payton Manning - while they are intensely scrutinized - are also pretty universally admired for being the greatest. Looking at the top players in various sports, nobody garners the same amount of hate that Lebron does, so suggesting that it's just because society loves to hate is false I think. A lot of the Lebron hate is probably drummed up by the media constantly comparing him to MJ or whatever. But MJ was simply so much more fun to watch than Lebron. When James drives through three defenders and dunks it it's just like, of course he did, he's goddam enormous. He's like a freight train and it's just not exciting. He's rarely beautiful on the court, if I can sound very gay for a moment. Also, I don't think people overscrutinized him or unfairly derided him for "The Decision." That was one of the most ridiculously arrogant, ill-conceived, flat out stupid charades in recent sports history, and it's when a lot of people really turned their noses up at him.
But MJ was simply so much more fun to watch than Lebron. When James drives through three defenders and dunks it it's just like, of course he did, he's goddam enormous. He's like a freight train and it's just not exciting. He's rarely beautiful on the court, if I can sound very gay for a moment.
This is insane.
Also, I don't think people overscrutinized him or unfairly derided him for "The Decision." That was one of the most ridiculously arrogant, ill-conceived, flat out stupid charades in recent sports history, and it's when a lot of people really turned their noses up at him.
Cliff notes: Middle aged men are bigger babies than a 24 year old who made the bad decision to listen to his manager and later apologized.
  • Like 1

Ray Allen is probably gone because of Avery Bradley. Not that Bradley is better overall, but because he's a suitable replacement, so you don't need to commit major dollars to Allen. Everybody else comes back.Bosh: three 3-pointers. What? That series was more fun than it had any right to be.Paul Bessire (prediction machine) had OKC winning 56.3% of the time out of 50,000 simulations. I have a lot of money riding on Miami winning this thing, so I was considering a hedge on OKC, but then Miami opened as underdogs, so I just put a little more on them. If Miami wins game 1, I'll probably put a bet down on OKC at that point. Bessire ran 50,000 simulations with Miami having home court and it came down exactly 50/50. Each side won 25,000 times.Does Ibaka play Bosh? His biggest strength is help defense, so I'd think you'd want him on somebody else. I think Miami's best lineup against OKC would be Bosh at the 5, Lebron at the 4, Wade, Chalmers, and I guess Battier.Games 6 and 7 swung my feelings a little bit. I'm rooting pretty hard for Lebron now. But I still don't care for the Heat. So these are my rooting priorities:1. Heat win where Lebron is undeniably and emphatically the reason why.2. Thunder win where Westbrook is MVP.3. Thunder win where Durant is MVP.4. Thunder win where Harden is MVP.These are the last things I want to see happen:1. Thunder win because of anything Perkins.2. Heat win and Lebron isn't the best player on the court.Both of those scenarios seem pretty unlikely though.If the Thunder win and Durant is MVP, the conversation about Durant > Lebron will be unbearable. Now, if the Thunder win and Durant actually outplays Lebron, then you might have something interesting to talk about.

Dream Team Oral HistoryThe section about the infamous scrimmage against the college players is fantastic.I had about eighty basketballs in my room in Barcelona and had to get the players to sign them all. Bird was the last guy, and he says, "What's the quickest anyone's done it?" I said, "Anywhere from eight minutes to twenty." And Bird said, "I'm going to be the fastest. Time me." So he signs them, and he throws me the last one: "Okay, what is it?" "Whoa, four and a half minutes!" And he goes, "Yes!" Competitive right to the end.

So much good stuff in here.