Random Basketball Observations

You're right on all counts. Don't shoot the messenger, you asked what the stated reason was. I think this is the dumbest thing the NBA has EVER done.Of all the Laker trades over the years, this was actually the fairest.No idea how they could take legal action. NBA charter says Stern can block trades I believe "in the best interests of the game" or some bullshit.
I can't believe this can be done.If Paul is traded next week somewhere and it goes through I'm going to lose it.And now the Lakers have to deal with two of your marquee players being involved in a failed trade.I hope they get Grizzlies Hawks in the Finals.
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

Stern ultimately controls the Hornets. I don't agree with what they're doing but I look at it like an owner saying no to a trade that his GM has brought to him. The only reason they can do this is because the NBA owns the team.

Stern ultimately controls the Hornets. I don't agree with what they're doing but I look at it like an owner saying no to a trade that his GM has brought to him. The only reason they can do this is because the NBA owns the team.
Then don't have a freaking GM making trades.
Then don't have a freaking GM making trades.
Yeah, seriously where do they put Dell Demps balls now that they cut them off? Nice reward for a guy who managed to get 95 cents on the dollar for a point guard who wanted to leave.
If the Charlotte New Orleans Hornets are the Phoenix Coyotes then what would be a similar scenario in the NHL?
and I do not have an answer for your question :club:
The owners can't veto without giving a reason. This isn't fantasy.
"basketball reasons"
Heh.
E-Mail from Dan Gilbert to Stern about the Paul trade to Lakershttp://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-n...ts_trade_120811
Here's what bothers me most about that email, and it's something I haven't heard mentioned much in the articles I've read:"Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing."One of Gilbert's reasons for saying the trade should be blocked is that it saves the Lakers money, and in doing so keeps them from having to pay $21M to GILBERT and other shitty owners. Unbelievable. Un-believable.I can't wait to watch Stern, or anyone, try to argue that the trade wasn't in the Hornets' best interests.

The only plausible explanation I've heard is that they need Chris Paul on the team to keep attendance up in order to keep the value of the team up. But really, this makes absolutely no sense. What potential buyer looks at this situation and doesn't factor in Chris Paul walking at the end of the year and leaving them with nothing?David Stern just made Demps wholly irrelevant. He has no power to build a team anymore; he just has to ride it out.And Dan Gilbert is just the worst. But this is funny:Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBAAs for Dan Gilbert email obtained by Y! Sports, timestamp shows he didn't send to Stern until after 10 PM ET. Trade already had been killed.It's also funny that Dan Gilbert thinks it's in the best interests of the Hornets to let Chris Paul leave as a free agent like Lebron left Cleveland.

The only plausible explanation I've heard is that they need Chris Paul on the team to keep attendance up in order to keep the value of the team up. But really, this makes absolutely no sense. What potential buyer looks at this situation and doesn't factor in Chris Paul walking at the end of the year and leaving them with nothing?
I guess it makes sense that they'd make more money with Paul this year, but that's not a given, since they'd be a better team after the trade, and wins equal attendance. Plus you have to factor in the attendance in the future, which will be abysmal considering how bad they'll be after he walks and they get nothing in return.
It's also funny that Dan Gilbert thinks it's in the best interests of the Hornets to let Chris Paul leave as a free agent like Lebron left Cleveland.
I think the only thing crossing his mind is GREAT VENGEANCE AND FURIOUS ANGER regarding the superteam phenomenon.
Here is Darren Rovell's reasoning for why they killed the trade.
I will say this for Rovell: that's as close as anyone can come to spinning this as a reasonable move. Not that he came close. But closer than anyone else will.
I will say this for Rovell: that's as close as anyone can come to spinning this as a reasonable move. Not that he came close. But closer than anyone else will.
There is more consensus negative opinion about this than the lockout. Maybe.Lost in the hullabaloo, Brandon Roy retired this morning.
There is more consensus negative opinion about this than the lockout. Maybe.Lost in the hullabaloo, Brandon Roy retired this morning.
and the Heat re-signed James Jones!
I actually don't understand how his points are reasonable. Keeping Chris Paul for one year only will not drive up the price for the franchise.
I actually don't understand how his points are reasonable. Keeping Chris Paul for one year only will not drive up the price for the franchise.
They have already sold 10,000 season ticket packages. Their attendance actually figures to be pretty good and they figure to be competitive with Paul. He keeps the franchise afloat value wise for now. Obviously, any incoming owner will know the deal though so it ultimately falls apart. He keeps their value up on paper for the present. This is still so dumb though they got 4 contributors back and two draft picks. No way they will ever do better than that now.

I was talking to a former lawyer today and he said there's nothing Paul, Lakers, Hornets, Rockets etc, can do legally unless they can directly prove that the trade was blocked due to business reasons and not basketball reasons as stated by the league. Any argument like "Paul is going to walk free after the season so they have to get something" isn't valid because any strategic basketball decision is just a matter of opinion. There's no way to prove beforehand that letting Paul walk isn't a better basketball option than trading him.

my question is this: if we can now assume that chirs paul will not be traded this year (because to allow him to be would be insanity andthe height of collusion) and he is forced to leave the hornets next year as a free agent, signing for the max money he can get with another team, DOES he have a lawsuit against the league for the difference in money he actually got from that new team to what he would have gotten if this trade had been allowed and he had opted out and gotten max free agent money from the lakers?i really hope the answer is yes. because someone needs to be punished for this. stern needs to go and he needs to go now. he's gone to far.