Random Basketball Observations

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

I thought the UNC game started at 4:00. Just brought up ESPN.com and it said the game was delayed. Tried to look through the comments to find out why. Came across this gem. "Could we please stop all the military BS and get on with the game?"Veteran's Day for the win.Edit: I love the way MSU goes after offensive rebounds.

what a disaster. I can't imagine how Micky Arison and Mark Cuban feel right now. Cuban has to be pissed. This was going to be his victory parade season.

Letter from the Union to the players.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/bask...ef=twitter_feedThey are idiots
This is one big clustercuss.I always thought that there would be a shortened season starting in January because I knew both sides would be stupid, but I really didn't think they would be this stupid.
I always thought that there would be a shortened season starting in January because I knew both sides would be stupid, but I really didn't think they would be this stupid.
yeah i was right there too. they were supposed to argue back and forth until about Dec 1, then the players cave to 50/50 and the season begins on Jan 1. but i didnt realize there would be a faction of owners who do not want a season. and i didnt realize the players wouldnt understand they have no leverage. what i desperately want is to be in the room during this stuff. because if David Stern is telling the truth and the lawyer, Kessler, was the biggest reason they couldnt make any progress towards a deal, I might have to put him down. because this lawsuit is going to make him millions.

I think it was Jason Terry who was saying the owners want to abolish the middle class. They want to pay a premium for the superstars and then lump all the rest down at the bottom and the players just weren't going to allow that. It makes sense for the union to fight that because they want as many players as possible making millions. They don't need to get the superstars extra money because they're perceived as making insane amounts already. So sacrifice the superstars' top end to support a middle class.This is why the players are claiming they are sacrificing their current money to protect the money of future classes. I think that's a true statement. It's no longer about the total money, it's about the distribution of that money. There's probably a political statement in there somewhere.

Holy crap, this could get even uglier (from Darren Rovell):"If they don't get the injunction, the players can still try to proceed with its antitrust lawsuit and see if they can prevail. While this could take a long time, they could get treble (triple) damages if they win. They can ask for the $2.1 billion they lost this season and come up with a number for loss of value for losing one year of their ability to play while getting older. If they can prevail, they could get $9 to $10 billion in damages."

Holy crap, this could get even uglier (from Darren Rovell):"If they don't get the injunction, the players can still try to proceed with its antitrust lawsuit and see if they can prevail. While this could take a long time, they could get treble (triple) damages if they win. They can ask for the $2.1 billion they lost this season and come up with a number for loss of value for losing one year of their ability to play while getting older. If they can prevail, they could get $9 to $10 billion in damages."
The anti-trust lawsuit has always been the players Nuclear Weapon to threaten the owners with
The anti-trust lawsuit has always been the players Nuclear Weapon to threaten the owners with
Yeah, I didn't realize treble damages was on the table. I think this makes it more likely the players chase their losses.And lol at that picture. I wonder if David Stern has to resign before this is resolved.
Yeah, I didn't realize treble damages was on the table. I think this makes it more likely the players chase their losses.And lol at that picture. I wonder if David Stern has to resign before this is resolved.
treble damages is automatic in anti-trust actions. It's really the only leverage the players have. If they had an anti-trust suit, it could get super amusing. One of the players big arguments is that the owners got themselves into trouble by being financially reckless......but imagine having to go into court and a player lawyer saying "no one made Orlando give Rashard Lewis 110 million dollars". That would suck for Rashard.David Stern will never resign.
they just need to lower the players share of BRI to 51%, lower the total years on max contracts to four and get rid of the MLE. boom. no lockout, SA21 for commish.
when i first heard that the NBA was losing 370 millon a year i knew that number couldnt be "correct." but the players will cave, and if i can tell the players i kept them above a 50/50 split, i'm happy. and the owners have to lose the MLE to protect themselves and the david khan's of the world. too easy? i actually thought khan sounded pretty intelligent on the BS Report. anyways, the players are going to lose money, just accept it and don't miss games and they lose less actual paychecks. boom, SA21 for King/President.
guess i was wrong about the players caving. and the owners were even keeping the MLE.
guess i was wrong about the players caving. and the owners were even keeping the MLE.
I wouldn't be surprised if either a big chunk of the season or the entire season is lost. And that makes me sad panda.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

I don't get you guys saying the players have no leverage. No players means no games means no revenue at all for the owners. No one is paying to watch the owners play, that's more than enough leverage. All the owners would be sitting on hundred million dollar investments that are worthless without players.

I don't get you guys saying the players have no leverage. No players means no games means no revenue at all for the owners. No one is paying to watch the owners play, that's more than enough leverage. All the owners would be sitting on hundred million dollar investments that are worthless without players.
read this: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/725099...ess-vs-personal
Because several owners are perfectly fine with missing a season to get the system they want. Nobody thinks that the NBA is in danger of folding; it's just a matter of when it starts back up and the owners have the resources to last a whole lot longer than the players.