Car Advice... Looking To Upsize

So I own an '05 Pontiac G6 (GT) but looking to upsize a little bit. There's a couple of reasons for this. For starters I'd like to get some $ for the car before it's worth nothing. I'd also like to be able to have the option of towing a small camper in the next couple of years and last I checked 1000lb towing capacity isn't going to cut it. Finally, I'm also now a daddy (yay) and my wife thinks a crossover/suv will be easier to put him in and out of the car and give us more room for groceries, etc.So I've been researching and since I'm not a car guy I need some help. All of the reviews I've read seem very positive regarding the Ford Edge, it also looks awesome and has a 3000lb towing capacity. Sounds good to me, but what do I know??Does anyone have a small SUV / Crossover maybe even driven the Ford Edge? I know "it's a Ford" but I haven't come across much problems with it online. Mind you they only came out in 2007 so I have to figure some major problems could come up in a couple years yet.Any other suggestions? Am I going to be paying a lot more in Gas? The Pontaic G6 is a 200 hp 3.5 litre V6 and the Edge is a 265 hp 3.5-liter V6Also, it's a MUST that the car can handle heavy winter driving. We get real winters here.

I wouldn't buy a Ford but I please do since I own Ford stock. Gas mileage wise you are looking at 15/22 or 17/25 depending on which Edge you get. You G6 got about 17/26.Other than that I have no idea. I do know that a classmate of mine who works at Ford was happy when he was able to turn in his company car because he hated it. It was a Edge.

I bought a Ford Edge 3 weeks ago.I traded in a Navigator, wanted to downsize.I am very happy with this car, it handles well, mostly powered correct although sometimes at 40+ it seems to slip down a gear too easy.I get about 15 around the city, haven't done much highway so can't tell you there. Plus I speed everywhere so you might do better.Also the lip on the floor is really high, so everytime I get out I have to lift my feet much higher than ever before.Bells and whistles are good, Got the sat radio, Sinc thing, two buttons and I can find the price of gas around me, or the times the movies are playing, or the sports scores etc.Nav system is good, but not great.Power lift gate is useful. AC is slightly lacking which is funny because Ford has great AC, but they didn't put a rear AC system, just a couple vents on the back of the center console, so when it's 110 it takes a good 5 minutes to cool off. Not sure if you need to worry about that. Heated seats for you, I will probably never use those.So overall I am happy with my purchase, and enjoy being able to park in a parking spot without having to make a 5 point turn to get square.

I got an 06 explorer earlier this year and love it. It's great for travel, family, we loaded that thing down and drove 6 people to Disneyland in it earlier this year.Of course, the mileage averages 15, so that sucks.

I have the Honda Element and I'm a big fan of it. You simply cannot get this thing dirty inside with the materials it is made of. Also, it has the clamshell doors which gives you a really wide entrance for getting things in and out.

I have the Honda Element and I'm a big fan of it. You simply cannot get this thing dirty inside with the materials it is made of. Also, it has the clamshell doors which gives you a really wide entrance for getting things in and out.
But they have the most bizarre back seats ever.

Honestly, skip the Ford. I have owned 3 Ford vehicles, all bought new, and they all have had problems, ranging from needing new brakes after 13,000 miles (all highway, and of course, not covered under warranty), electrical issues, u-joint, 4 wheel drive problems, etc. Their customer service is HORRIFIC. When I called their main CS line with the brake issue, told her there is no way I should be replacing brakes after only 13K miles, she gave me the run around. I told her I would never buy another Ford if they did not take care of this and she said, "I don't give a shit!". No lie, and hung up on me. Wish I had gotten her name. Anyway, I now have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I bought new with 3 miles on it in July of '05. It now has 110,900 something miles on it, and I have had to replace the brakes (disc and rotors) once, pads only 1 other time, and just now replaced the serpentine belt. THAT'S IT! Changed the oil (Mobil 1 ONLY!!!) every 5,000 or so, has had 1 radiatior flush and transmission flush, and am going to replace all the gear oil this fall.I would suggest a Murano for a crossover. Looks way better than the Edge IMO and, with my experience, a MUCH better performing vehicle.Just my .02. Good luck.

I have a serious man-crush on my Ram 1500 Quad Cab, seats 6 and I generally get about 16MPG even though I speed absolutely everywhere. It's the absolute perfect vehicle for me and I have no complaints whatsoever about the way it's engineered, everything is placed perfectly and everything does the logical job in the logical way. Don't get an Edge, it's just a dressed up minivan. My wife likes her Ford Escape a lot, it's much cheaper and gets about 24MPG highway.

TOYOTA 4-Runner FTWI've had 3 of them.... put over 100K on them before I ever did anything to them. At 100k...replaced timing belt and hoses...they'll go another 100k easy.I pull a small camper with mine...no worries.

Hey Gov one of my sons works as a top mechanic for a ford dealership he said he would never buy a Ford, he owns a Honda. Just his advice.

My Xterra has been perfect for me, just saying. Plus you meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker.

I own Ford stock.
So you're the one.i know, strikeout
Have you thought about buying some land instead? land is always a good investment, plus you can go to it and do stuff on it too.
I don't believe you.anchorman.jpg

Fantastic choice. This is one of the hottest, if not the hottest, vehicle on the market right now. They are flying out the door everywhere and have literally appreciated about 20% in value over the last year...that's right, appreciated.While that obviously won't last (a product of the economy and gas prices depreciating it 30% in about 6 months last year...this is more a correction than anything), this vehicle is a sleek, sporty, reliable, sharp crossover that will hold its value well for the next several years. It isn't expensive to maintain like the luxuries, but if you get it jammed out, can do the same job at a much more affordable priced. The Murano is another super popular choice, but IMO the Edge (or its sister car the MKX) is the single best vehicle you can buy right now. Not just out of Crossovers, but out of ANY vehicle.

If I was somehow forced to buy an American car it would definitely be a Ford.
You should really investigate the late model reliability numbers before you buy your next car. American cars will undoubtedly surprise you. They cost so much less to operate over the life of the vehicle that it's crazy to just assume that they are bad. American cars have improved drastically in quality since 2004.
You should really investigate the late model reliability numbers before you buy your next car. American cars will undoubtedly surprise you. They cost so much less to operate over the life of the vehicle that it's crazy to just assume that they are bad. American cars have improved drastically in quality since 2004.
I've also heard Ford has stepped it up quite a bit in recent years. Which I guess your last sentence kinda covers.
I don't care about reliability to be honest. I lease cars for 3 years, I never drive a car that is not under it's initial warranty.I am well aware of the fact that GM and Ford have stopped cutting corners when building their cars since the 80's and 90's. Sadly I wish the residual values would show the change as well as one thing I have always done when going to shop for a new car is check out a couple American cars. Sadly they over charge for what you can get elsewhere. Example:in 2004 when I got my GTI this is what I had to choose from.Acura RSX Type S 4 yr lease, $1000 down $25,300 $321/moSubura WRX 4 yr lease $1000 down $23,000 $274/mo (but the dealer was a prick)VW GTI 1.8T 4 yr lease $800 down $22,500 $261/mo Ford Focus SVT 4 yr lease $1200 down S-Plan $23,500 $425/moMazdaspeed Protege 4 yr lease $1000 down S-Plan $21,500 $421/mo (Mazda uses Fords finance company)I would have ended up with the WRX if they weren't such pricks.The sticker prices might be a little off but the point remains, Ford wanting $425/mo for a car that costs the same as the GTI which I got for $261/mo is ridiculous and based mainly on the residual value. The same thing happened when I got my Civic in late 08. The car is $17,995 and the focus I looked at was maybe $1500 more and the monthly payments were $200 more a month. It can be the most reliable car in the world, I ain't wasting $200 a month.No need to lecture me on leasing vs buying. Heard it all before. I love cars and I love driving and I also get sick of driving the same car after about 2 years. The last year is usually painful. I can't wait to get rid of the civic. Great car, enjoyed the 41mpg average on my vacation this past week but I am bored and want a new car. Looking at an Accord or WRX 5 door for my next car. If I was going to look at an American car it would be a Fusion Hybrid. But they probably want about $550/mo for a 3 year lease.
I don't care about reliability to be honest. I lease cars for 3 years, I never drive a car that is not under it's initial warranty.I am well aware of the fact that GM and Ford have stopped cutting corners when building their cars since the 80's and 90's. Sadly I wish the residual values would show the change as well as one thing I have always done when going to shop for a new car is check out a couple American cars. Sadly they over charge for what you can get elsewhere. Example:in 2004 when I got my GTI this is what I had to choose from.Acura RSX Type S 4 yr lease, $1000 down $25,300 $321/moSubura WRX 4 yr lease $1000 down $23,000 $274/mo (but the dealer was a prick)VW GTI 1.8T 4 yr lease $800 down $22,500 $261/mo Ford Focus SVT 4 yr lease $1200 down S-Plan $23,500 $425/moMazdaspeed Protege 4 yr lease $1000 down S-Plan $21,500 $421/mo (Mazda uses Fords finance company)I would have ended up with the WRX if they weren't such pricks.The sticker prices might be a little off but the point remains, Ford wanting $425/mo for a car that costs the same as the GTI which I got for $261/mo is ridiculous and based mainly on the residual value. The same thing happened when I got my Civic in late 08. The car is $17,995 and the focus I looked at was maybe $1500 more and the monthly payments were $200 more a month. It can be the most reliable car in the world, I ain't wasting $200 a month.No need to lecture me on leasing vs buying. Heard it all before. I love cars and I love driving and I also get sick of driving the same car after about 2 years. The last year is usually painful. I can't wait to get rid of the civic. Great car, enjoyed the 41mpg average on my vacation this past week but I am bored and want a new car. Looking at an Accord or WRX 5 door for my next car. If I was going to look at an American car it would be a Fusion Hybrid. But they probably want about $550/mo for a 3 year lease.
Leasing is crazy... I mean... you are really pissing away just a ton of money... but if you can afford it, and you enjoy it.... go for it. (also, I don't ever think about financing, because I always pay cash for my vehicles (which are always used cheap American cars)... so it makes sense that you may be forced to choose the best financing situation.)