Is This Normal?

So a family member had their car stolen a little over a month ago. Insurance paid out the value, they got their new car and everything was going smoothly. Then a week ago the police called and said they had found their car. They were excited because they loved the car and hated the new one but the dreams were quickly shattered when the police said it was found in the slums of Detroit burnt to a crisp. Bummer.Yesterday they get a letter from the Sec of State and the City of Detroit. Bills. For towing, storage, and a bunch of other stuff and a letter stating that she needs to come pick up the car to stop avoiding the costs of the storage. Ummm? WTF? Is this normal?Should the insurance co. take care of this.Never had a car stolen so I don't know how this works.

That sucks and sounds really fishy. I'm not sure what to do in terms of actual advice. But, it did remind me with a funny Simpsons quote which I will now share with all of you: Homer: Here are your messages: "You have 30 minutes to move your car," "You have 10 minutes," "Your car has been impounded," "Your car has been crushed into a cube," "You have 30 minutes to move your cube." [phone rings] Homer: [answering] Yello, Mr. Burns's office. Burns: Is it about my cube?

So a family member had their car stolen a little over a month ago. Insurance paid out the value, they got their new car and everything was going smoothly. Then a week ago the police called and said they had found their car. They were excited because they loved the car and hated the new one but the dreams were quickly shattered when the police said it was found in the slums of Detroit burnt to a crisp. Bummer.Yesterday they get a letter from the Sec of State and the City of Detroit. Bills. For towing, storage, and a bunch of other stuff and a letter stating that she needs to come pick up the car to stop avoiding the costs of the storage. Ummm? WTF? Is this normal?Should the insurance co. take care of this.Never had a car stolen so I don't know how this works.
haha, tell them it isn't your car.

That certainly throws a wrench in Michigan's nationwide advertising launch of the "Move to Detroit!" campaign.There's not a chance in hell that could stand up in court, is there?

haha, tell them it isn't your car.
It isn't his car, it's the insurance company's. Once you sign the title over to them you don't own it anymore, therefore, not your responsibility.
That certainly throws a wrench in Michigan's nationwide advertising launch of the "Move to Detroit!" campaign.There's not a chance in hell that could stand up in court, is there?
Yeah, my comment when I heard this was, and Detroit wonders why it is all fucked up an noone wants to live there. So desperate for money they are going to try and get money from car theft victims. I was surprised there wasn't weeks worth of parking tickets on the bill since it probably sat on a street abandoned before the cops found it.
It isn't his car, it's the insurance company's. Once you sign the title over to them you don't own it anymore, therefore, not your responsibility.
That is what I told her. I told her call the insurance company, it's their problem as far as I am concerned.

A few years ago I was talking to a friend who works for the Detroit Fire Department. At one point (in 1999) they were responding to over 5,200 auto fires a year. That is 100 Automobile Arsons a week - every single week. It was commonplace for people to torch their cars for the insurance or because they were so far over their lease miles. The FD enacted a bunch of measures to fight the auto arsons. One was requiring the owner to give a sworn statement that he had nothing to do with the arson. This greatly reduced the number of suburbanites willing to participate in the Fraud by taking the time to go give their sworn statement. This resulted in greatly reduced Auto Arson rates. Not sure of the numbers, but when a similar law was enacted in Boston it was credited with reducing the Auto Arson rates by 80% I am guessing that the disposal/storage fees are also designed to combat the arson problem.Apparently Auto Arson has recently spiked in popularity again.In 2008, Detroit recorded 6,486 suspected arsons, about 18 a day. A 25% rise since 2004. I'd bet many of those are Automobile Arson.

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
The Rainmaker?
Dear Detroit,I'm sorry, but my family has a zero-tolerance policy about ever visiting Detroit. -xxx

Hey this isn't a baseball diamond people, it's a thread.Anyway,So I it seems she called around yesterday. Talked to the Oakland County Sheriff and he couldn't do anything. She got in contact with the Detroit police officer that called her to tell her they found her car and he was confused. He had the report in front of him and looked on the computer and stated that both indeed state that the car was stolen and not abandoned. He also thought it odd that the report says that they found the car 5 days before they told him to call her about it. But he can't do anything about it. He figures the Sec of State has decided that she abandoned the car and set fire to it and it was never stolen and at this point all she can do is go to court in 3 weeks and tell the judge. Sounds to me like the State is just trying to make some money. She has been to the Sec of State to deal with title issues 3 times prior to this situation and the first words out of the clerks mouth each time has been, "but this car has been reported stolen!!" Odd how they now claim it hasn't been reported stolen now that they want to bill her hundreds of $'s.My wife says we should call the local news and see if they want to have some fun with it.See what the insurance company says today. Seems that the insurance company has not paid her yet so the title is not yet in their name but the check might have come last night as she said there was a fed ex in the office at her apartments. I told her to not talk to the insurance company until we know they are now the title holders.

He figures the Sec of State has decided that she abandoned the car and set fire to it and it was never stolen and at this point all she can do is go to court in 3 weeks and tell the judge. Sounds to me like the State is just trying to make some money.
Remember when the State felt that commiting a felony of insurance fraud was the more important issue than them paying for a tow and disposal?Not saying this is the case, just funny that they are acting like; "Whatever, you ripped off the insurance, just give us a taste"

Well if my mom abandoned her 90 Acura Integra, leather, ,fully loaded, and a whopping 46,000 miles on it, no rust, for a piece of crap 94 Ford Focus with no antenna, one bent rotor, key scratch down the driver side, poor pinstripe job, 98K miles, and it smells of old people then it is official, my mom went batty and this bill is the least of her problems.

wanna see something funny?http://realestate.yahoo.com/Michigan/Detro...y%3Dprice%25201I've heard the average price of a home in detroit is like 22K or something
That might still be high. I am losing a crapload of tenants because they are all moving into $13K houses that were 5 years ago over $100K. I still think they are stupid for doing it but I am one trying really hard to move out of Michigan at the moment so anyone making any kind of commitment in this state is crazy. I guess if you are rich and you have 10 years to wait for prices to rise somewhere near normal then go for it but I know the financial situations of all my tenants and rarely any of the them should be doing it imo.God I hate this place. I need to post that in the I hate thread.

Hi Steve, I don't think anyone really answered your question so here you go:My grandma's car was stolen and so was my mum's moped (both from outside our house but not at the same time). I asked my mum and she said they defintely had to pay for all the towing fees etc, so all of that is normal. It sucks, but there's nothing dodgy or unusual about it.LG