Evolution Jeopardy

Stupid species who are extinct (most of them)are going to want a recount
with few exceptions extinctions don't occur because a species becomes maladapted to a stable environment. most extictions occur because the environment changes either too rapidly or too radically for adaptation to keep up with.
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the contrary, given the mutation rates we observe in nature it's surprising that humans and chimps don't differ more than they do. many mutations (changes to sequence in code) can happen en masse within 1 generation, and you're talking several hundred thousand generations (at least) since we branched.
the odds of beneficial adaptations occuring and proliferating (at least in small reproductively isolated populations) are pretty close to 100%, so there's no analogy there :club:
with few exceptions extinctions don't occur because a species becomes maladapted to a stable environment. most extictions occur because the environment changes either too rapidly or too radically for adaptation to keep up with.
One thing doesn't fit here...
Come on, you wouldn't have even made it on Evolution Jeopardy in the first place if you didn't understand this one.
Pretty sure this is exactly how I made it on EJ.
mutation ≠ adaptation. An adaptation is a trait which confers an advantage (or the process of acquiring such traits).
And an adaption is the process that sorts out mutations...
One thing doesn't fit here...
the human/chimp genetic lineage hasn't (yet) happened to face more radical environmental change than natural selection could keep up with. that is not the case with most species that have existed.otherwise not sure what you mean.
Yeah that's on the right track. I was gonna say something else, but who knows what the next Answer will be?
I promised I wouldn't google, I never said I wouldn't reread this thread...
Wow, hope you aren't putting all your eggs in one balloon. Genetics for 1000. One of the four nucleotides that makes up DNA -- or, the first letters of all four of them.
GATTACA
What is mutation and adaptation?
Sorry, that's incorrect. Acceptable answers would have been mutation, migration, sexual reproduction, or genetic drift. Adaptation is not a source of variation, rather it is the result of variation combined with selection. Balloon Guy: -400.

Genetics: 600This is the best way to complete the sentence below:This past month marked the 200th anniversary of Jean Baptiste Lamarck's important work Philosophie Zoologique. Lamarck is best known for his theory that predicts, for example, that giraffes who have to stretch their necks further to reach the trees will have offspring with longer necks. Besides being French, Lamarck's biggest mistake was thata) he wrongly thought that acquired traits are heritableb) he did not understand that the genes for neck length are constrained by the biology of breathingc) his theory did not adequately explain sexual selection, i.e. what would happen if a long-necked giraffe mated with one with an unstretched neckd) he described the source of genetic mutations wrongly

Genetics: 600This is the best way to complete the sentence below:This past month marked the 200th anniversary of Jean Baptiste Lamarck's important work Philosophie Zoologique. Lamarck is best known for his theory that predicts, for example, that giraffes who have to stretch their necks further to reach the trees will have offspring with longer necks. Besides being French, Lamarck's biggest mistake was thata) he wrongly thought that acquired traits are heritableB) he did not understand that the genes for neck length are constrained by the biology of breathingc) his theory did not adequately explain sexual selection, i.e. what would happen if a long-necked giraffe mated with one with an unstretched neckd) he described the source of genetic mutations wrongly
Well this is a tough one. I am sorry you didn't include the problem with the length of the neck of the giraffe and the energy to pump the blood to the top of the neck to reach the brain and the series of regulators necessary to prevent the giraffe's head from exploding when he bent down to drink making the notion of a gradual change problamatic.And I think there are probably a couple 'right answers here', but you only want one.so I am going to say;What is d) he described the course of genetic mutations wrongly.