Evolution Jeopardy

I'm going to say: What is a Reptile Alex?
CORRECT!Balloon Guy: 1000Human evolution for 1000:According to genetic studies, humans and chimpanzees diverged from their common ancestor about this many years ago. (of the choices 6,000 years ago, 60,000 years ago, 600,000 years ago, 6,000,000 years ago, 60,000,000 years ago, 600,000,000 years ago).
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CORRECT!Balloon Guy: 1000Human evolution for 1000:According to genetic studies, humans and chimpanzees diverged from their common ancestor about this many years ago. (of the choices 6,000 years ago, 60,000 years ago, 600,000 years ago, 6,000,000 years ago, 60,000,000 years ago, 600,000,000 years ago).
Sure, play with the 666 combinations...purely random I'm sure...What is 60,000,000 years ago?
Sure, play with the 666 combinations...purely random I'm sure...What is 60,000,000 years ago?
Ohhhh sorry, that is incorrect. Humans and chimpanzees diverged from a common ancestor somewhere between 5 and 8 million years ago. However, you were only off by about 54 million years. Balloon Guy: 0Next category please!
Ohhhh sorry, that is incorrect. Humans and chimpanzees diverged from a common ancestor somewhere between 5 and 8 million years ago. However, you were only off by about 54 million years. Balloon Guy: 0Next category please!
that's what I first wrote...six million, I just starting thinking how ridiculously short of a time span for random chance to mutate the changes that represent ~100 millions bits of DNA code that differ between chimps and man... ( yes, that's what 3-4% difference in DNA between the two species would represent...~100 million bits of information )Okay fine.Let's do Genetics until it's finished Alex.
how ridiculously short of a time span for random chance to mutate the changes that represent ~100 millions bits of DNA code that differ between chimps and man...
You do realize that's one thousand entire bible earth histories?
that's what I first wrote...six million, I just starting thinking how ridiculously short of a time span for random chance to mutate the changes that represent ~100 millions bits of DNA code that differ between chimps and man...
on the contrary, given the mutation rates we observe in nature it's surprising that humans and chimps don't differ more than they do. many mutations (changes to sequence in code) can happen en masse within 1 generation, and you're talking several hundred thousand generations (at least) since we branched.
on the contrary, given the mutation rates we observe in nature it's surprising that humans and chimps don't differ more than they do. many mutations (changes to sequence in code) can happen en masse within 1 generation, and you're talking several hundred thousand generations (at least) since we branched.
I guess you're right.100 millions of bits of different DNS sequences...6 million years, thats only 17 beneficial mutations per year.I guess that's well within the parameters of evolution...Sure kept natural selection on it's toes though huh?You know she's tired..
Allright, Genetics for 200. WOAH!IT'S A DAILY DOUBLE!!!!daily-double.jpgYou can decide how much of your.. oh. Well, since you have no money, you can wager up to 1000, on thecategory "Genetics".
rookie. daily doubles are never for $200
HAHAHA too late...Le's go 1000 Alex.
I guess you're right.100 millions of bits of different DNS sequences...6 million years, thats only 21.36 benefitial mutations per day.I guess that's well within the parameters of evolution...
It looks like we won the powerball several times! WooHOO!
It looks like we won the powerball several times in advance, doubling down the whole amount each time! WooHOO!
fypand I redid the math because math is hard
I guess you're right.100 millions of bits of different DNS sequences...6 million years, thats only 17 beneficial mutations per year.I guess that's well within the parameters of evolution...Sure kept natural selection on it's toes though huh?You know she's tired..
obviously 100 million shifted bits does not represent 100 million individual mutation "events", let alone 100 million individual beneficial changes to the phenotype. most DNA is "junk" not expressed in the phenotype, and most mutational changes that are expressed are neutral.in other words humans and chimps may have 100 million different bits, but the actual number of ways they essentially differ physically due to divergent adaptation is much, much smaller.
obviously 100 million shifted bits does not represent 100 million individual mutation "events", let alone 100 million individual beneficial changes to the phenotype. most DNA is "junk" not expressed in the phenotype, and most mutational changes that are expressed are neutral.in other words humans and chimps may have 100 million different bits, but the actual number of ways they essentially differ physically due to divergent adaptation is much, much smaller.
So we only won Powerball like a couple times a year?
There is about one mutation per sex cell in humans due to copying errors. You guys are saying six million years isn't long enough to accumulate some good ones? Is that what you are saying? Then, how long would be?
the odds of beneficial adaptations occuring and proliferating (at least in small reproductively isolated populations) are pretty close to 100%, so there's no analogy there :club:
Wow, hope you aren't putting all your eggs in one balloon. Genetics for 1000. One of the four nucleotides that makes up DNA -- or, the first letters of all four of them.
What is an amino acid?
You know, I don't think this is the real Alex Trebek at all.
You know, I don't think this is the real Alex Trebek at all.
Wait...are you saying I'm NOT going to win any real money here?
the odds of beneficial adaptations occuring and proliferating (at least in small reproductively isolated populations) are pretty close to 100%, so there's no analogy there :club:
So all things always adapt in a beneficial manner?Stupid species who are extinct (most of them)are going to want a recount
What is an amino acid?
DANG IT..it was a trick question...
The DNA, deoxyribo nucleic acid is a polymer of nucleotides. The nucleotides are made up of three major parts.1) Deoxy ribose(pentose sugar)2) phosphate group3)bases ( Purines
Okay..you got me there Mr. Trekekekekl
There is about one mutation per sex cell in humans due to copying errors. You guys are saying six million years isn't long enough to accumulate some good ones? Is that what you are saying? Then, how long would be?
60 million years minimum