• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently working with one of the leads on this movie.... trailer looks good to me... it is what it is... I wouldn't go into this film with expectations other than just mindless entertainment.I think it comes out the week before Christmas.... I'll be seeing it.Right after Christmas...look for Midgets vs. Mascots.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen the trailer and I can't say I'm dying to see this movie. Part of me says it does look like a ridiculous cartoonish waste of time, but then again I'm a big Cameron fan and he seems to come through. That being said, I probably won't see it in theaters. I'll wait for it on demand.

I probably won't see it in theaters. I'll wait for it on demand.
Then you will miss the best part of the movie: it's like a drug trip.A technology writer for Time Magazine, after being shown 15 minutes of the movie, posited the movie’s 3D action had set off actual “memory creation.”"I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated--even knowing that the 9-ft.-tall blue, dappled dude couldn't possibly be real. The scenes were so startling and absorbing that the following morning, I had the peculiar sensation of wanting to return there, as if Pandora were real," he said.The New York Times interviewed him later.“It was like doing some kind of drug,” he said, describing a scene showing Sam Worthington running around “with this kind of hot alien chick,” and being attacked by jaguarlike creatures. He was sprinkled with sprites that floated down, like snowflakes. "You feel like the little feathery things are landing on your arm”.In the same New York Times article, Dr. Mario Mendez, a behavioural neurologist at the University of California, said it is entirely possible Cameron’s 3D technology could tap brain systems that are undisturbed by conventional 2D movies. An inner global-positioning system that orients a person to the surrounding world, was one example he gave.“Three-D demonstrably creates a space that triggers this GPS; it’s really very stimulating”.

Roger Ebert:"Cameron promised he'd unveil the next generation of 3-D in "Avatar." I'm a notorious skeptic about this process, a needless distraction from the perfect realism of movies in 2-D. Cameron's iteration is the best I've seen -- and more importantly, one of the most carefully-employed. The film never uses 3-D simply because it has it, and doesn't promiscuously violate the fourth wall. He also seems quite aware of 3-D's weakness for dimming the picture, and even with a film set largely in interiors and a rain forest, there's sufficient light. I saw the film in 3-D on a good screen at the AMC River East and was impressed. I might be awesome in True IMAX. Good luck in getting a ticket before February.It takes a hell of a lot of nerve for a man to stand up at the Oscarcast and proclaim himself King of the World. James Cameron just got re-elected. "http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/912119998

Is anyone going to see this in IMAX. I'm tempted to do it, but I have had bad IMAX experiences with Dark Knight and Superman. Every time there was an action scene things were are all blurry and hectic. I wonder if the 3-d or something would make this different.

Is anyone going to see this in IMAX. I'm tempted to do it, but I have had bad IMAX experiences with Dark Knight and Superman. Every time there was an action scene things were are all blurry and hectic. I wonder if the 3-d or something would make this different.
I plan on taking the kids to see this in 3D Imax on Sunday night

The story was absolutely basic, where people end up in just the right spot to cause trouble or be heroes. It absolutely could have been written by an average high schooler.The effects were something else entirely. Really something to behold. There is mild swearing, but overall a very kid friendly movie, that all kids will probably enjoy, simply because it's magical. I was impressed.I don't go to the theater to watch movies, but if more movies looked like this, I would go to more movies. I can't imagine that this isn't the future.It will be absolutely terrible if you don't see this movie in the theater. At home would be tragic.

The story was absolutely basic, where people end up in just the right spot to cause trouble or be heroes. It absolutely could have been written by an average high schooler.The effects were something else entirely. Really something to behold. There is mild swearing, but overall a very kid friendly movie, that all kids will probably enjoy, simply because it's magical. I was impressed.
I think that's most of the Cameron movies, though. He's not a subtle storyteller. Did you see it 3-D or 2-D? And if you saw it in 3-D did you feel like your eyes had a fatigue level? I've logged many, many hours watching tv and movies, but there's something about 3-D that makes me squirmy about 70 minutes in.
The story was absolutely basic, where people end up in just the right spot to cause trouble or be heroes. It absolutely could have been written by an average high schooler.The effects were something else entirely. Really something to behold. There is mild swearing, but overall a very kid friendly movie, that all kids will probably enjoy, simply because it's magical. I was impressed.I don't go to the theater to watch movies, but if more movies looked like this, I would go to more movies. I can't imagine that this isn't the future.It will be absolutely terrible if you don't see this movie in the theater. At home would be tragic.
About what I expect it to be.Did you see it in IMAX/ghetto IMAX?
Ok good, I'm excited to see it now. Just waiting on LLY's review so I know whether or not to IMAX it. I have a choice between a normal IMAX screen or a IMAX dome. My bad experiences have been with the dome so I'm leaning towards the normal IMAX screen.

Why would I pay to see a bunch of good fx? Are you kidding me? It's exactly why I bitch about Emmerich and Bay. I, for one, don't want Hollywood making this kind of thing and making shitpiles of $$$ off them. Well, OK, they will make $$$ anyway, but at least they won't be mine. Fuck this movie.

Uh, okay. I remember hearing that he'll have to gross $600-$750 million to break even.If he can make that much money off of his movies, obviously there's an audience. Keep in mind I'm referring to global numbers and not just us dumb US Americans. I remember him saying he made Titanic right before his 10year high school reunion. Got to go talk shit to everyone who piled on him when he was younger. Must be a pretty great experience.EDIT:Tanner,wtf is the dome?Here, there are true IMAX screens, and ghetto IMAX screens. IssuesIs the dome referring to the smaller screens that aren't actually IMAX screens?

Why would I pay to see a bunch of good fx? Are you kidding me? It's exactly why I bitch about Emmerich and Bay. I, for one, don't want Hollywood making this kind of thing and making shitpiles of $$$ off them. Well, OK, they will make $$$ anyway, but at least they won't be mine. Fuck this movie.
There's nothing inherently wrong about visual effects, it's what the director does with them. It's possible for them to enhance the story, so I see nothing wrong with trying to break new ground. If someone wants to make the movie-going experience more visceral, I'm ok with that.
Uh, okay. I remember hearing that he'll have to gross $600-$750 million to break even.If he can make that much money off of his movies, obviously there's an audience. Keep in mind I'm referring to global numbers and not just us dumb US Americans. I remember him saying he made Titanic right before his 10year high school reunion. Got to go talk shit to everyone who piled on him when he was younger. Must be a pretty great experience.EDIT:Tanner,wtf is the dome?Here, there are true IMAX screens, and ghetto IMAX screens. IssuesIs the dome referring to the smaller screens that aren't actually IMAX screens?
This is the IMAX dome I have been to in San Jose:imaxweb.jpgThe documentaries I have seen on it were amazing. Batman and Superman were not good because of the screen though.
I think that's most of the Cameron movies, though. He's not a subtle storyteller. Did you see it 3-D or 2-D? And if you saw it in 3-D did you feel like your eyes had a fatigue level? I've logged many, many hours watching tv and movies, but there's something about 3-D that makes me squirmy about 70 minutes in.
I am ONLY talking about 3d here. I wouldn't even recommend watching the movie, if the only option is 2d.
About what I expect it to be.Did you see it in IMAX/ghetto IMAX?
I saw it on a non Imax screen, that was very large 600 seats, in RealD 3d.