• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day all we will need are some sort of high-end glasses to watch movies or sporting events. My grandkids will ask for the new Cameron's for Christmas. Then I will tell them the story of how I went to see Avatar...in a movie theater, with other people. Crazy, right? We had to wear these cheap plastic glasses while we sat there watching the movie on a large screen, the same screen everybody else was watching. And all it cost was $16.50. You know how we got there? We drove there...in our cars...that used gasoline.I hated this movie as soon as I got home and turned on the Laker game in HD, and it looked retarded. HD sucks, I need 3D everywhere. Now.

One day all we will need are some sort of high-end glasses to watch movies or sporting events. My grandkids will ask for the new Cameron's for Christmas. Then I will tell them the story of how I went to see Avatar...in a movie theater, with other people. Crazy, right? We had to wear these cheap plastic glasses while we sat there watching the movie on a large screen, the same screen everybody else was watching. And all it cost was $16.50. You know how we got there? We drove there...in our cars...that used gasoline.I hated this movie as soon as I got home and turned on the Laker game in HD, and it looked retarded. HD sucks, I need 3D everywhere. Now.
Well, you were watching a Lakers game.

Just saw this movie and read this thread, and I really, really wish I had seen it in 3D. I thought only certain theaters had it in 3D, but it turns out the local theater has it, just not at the time I went.This movie really has pushed movies to a new level, even in 2D. The SFX were so seamless and complete and encompassing.As for the writing.... there was a section in the middle where I was ready to be done with the touchy feely nature crap. Also, could the characters be any more one-dimensional?Anyway, despite those flaws, I really enjoyed this, and probably have to see it in 3D now. I'm really looking forward to 5 years from now when someone makes a movie this fantastic and magical, but with a plot and writing that could belong in great traditional movies, like Shawshank, or Adaptation. I agree that Avatar is a turning point in movies. It's amazing how easily it sucks you into what should be a cartoon world.

Just saw this movie and read this thread, and I really, really wish I had seen it in 3D. I thought only certain theaters had it in 3D, but it turns out the local theater has it, just not at the time I went.This movie really has pushed movies to a new level, even in 2D. The SFX were so seamless and complete and encompassing.As for the writing.... there was a section in the middle where I was ready to be done with the touchy feely nature crap. Also, could the characters be any more one-dimensional?Anyway, despite those flaws, I really enjoyed this, and probably have to see it in 3D now. I'm really looking forward to 5 years from now when someone makes a movie this fantastic and magical, but with a plot and writing that could belong in great traditional movies, like Shawshank, or Adaptation. I agree that Avatar is a turning point in movies. It's amazing how easily it sucks you into what should be a cartoon world.
You haven't seen it yet. I'm serious.
Has anyone seen this in both Real D and IMAX 3D? If so, how different is the experience between the two?
Apparently only a relatively small number of IMAX theaters are showing this movie. My guess is that they don't all have 3D projectors. I think only LLY has seen it in IMAX so far, so he's the one to ask.Only one IMAX in my whole state is showing Avatar.
Apparently only a relatively small number of IMAX theaters are showing this movie. My guess is that they don't all have 3D projectors. I think only LLY has seen it in IMAX so far, so he's the one to ask.
I'm going to the IMAX 3D next saturday night.
I saw it at an IMAX 3D place that's in a furniture store, where the seats are made out of memory foam and have built in "buttkicker" speakers, which was nice.
:runs away sobbing:
About the glasses. I saw another 3-d movie a few months back where they gave us glasses to keep. At Avatar they gave us theater glasses that had to be given back at the end. Of course I got the smudgiest piece of shit glasses ever. I was spending the first 30 min of the movie trying to clean them so I could see clearly. Really pissed me off.
Your local theater sucks.
This ^^Every 3-D I go to ... we get new glasses (recycled) You can keep them (my kids did) or put them in the recycle bin.The new polarized glasses are so much better than the old red/green paper glasses.3-D has come a long way.
Am I the only one who really thought you were from Japan?
Probably. er... I mean... I am from Japan.
um recycled means they have been used right? So they are not new?
:eyeroll:My milk carton is recycled AND new... just like my 3D glasses.
Do the glasses really bother you? I have no problem wearing them. And as much as they say they are working on glasses-less technologies, I don't really buy that it's right around the corner. The solutions I have seen involve projecting different images to the two eyes by means of angled pixels in the screen, which also requires that your eye be at just the right spot. It's just not an easy problem to solve, and I think some unobtrusive glasses are going to be how its done for some time. They may even make more fashionable ones...
I thnk at some point if every movie that comes out is in 3-D, every person will just have their own pair of awesome glasses that they bring to the theatres with them.
I saw it in I-MAX 3D. I took off the glasses here and there, and well lets just say there is no comparison.
I saw it in IMAX 3-D as well, it was thrilling but, and I think this goes for everyone who saw it in 3-D, you cant compare the diff between IMAX and reg by taking the glasses off when youre watching something in 3-D because its just going to be a blurry image no matter what resolution youre watching in.Also, Unobtainiam? Really? Thats just lazy.
you cant compare the diff between IMAX and reg by taking the glasses off when youre watching something in 3-D because its just going to be a blurry image no matter what resolution youre watching in.
You could close one eye to eliminate the 3-d and avoid the blurry.
Wow, just Wow. I took a couple of pills for my back, snuck in a fifth of Captain and made a night of it. That movie was phenomenal, as speeds said, not the story line, but the experience. This will ruin other movies for awhile for me.
So for some reason I think I need to clarify something.If the visual experience had not been so magnificent, I would have hated this movie.
So for some reason I think I need to clarify something.If the visual experience had not been so magnificent, I would have hated this movie.
You didn't need to clarify, everyone except King Tanner and Gov are right there with you.
You didn't need to clarify, everyone except King Tanner and Gov are right there with you.
?I don't think I would have hated it, but I wouldn't have been so excited about it without the amazing visuals. The movie was all about the amazing visuals in my opinion.I think Gov mentioned in the top 20 thread that he hasn't seen Avatar yet so I don't understand your statement brv, or joke if that is what it is.
?I don't think I would have hated it, but I wouldn't have been so excited about it without the amazing visuals. The movie was all about the amazing visuals in my opinion.I think Gov mentioned in the top 20 thread that he hasn't seen Avatar yet so I don't understand your statement brv, or joke if that is what it is.
I actually had to think about it a little bit afterward to realize how awful the story and writing really were. Plus the "messages" they tried to send were exceedingly annoying.The anti-war, anti-capitalism, pro mother earth stuff was unbearable at points. They actually even said "Shock and Awe" and a couple other things I rolled my eyes above my lovely 3D glass for. Unobtanium and Pandora are just the epitomy of lazy writing, along with numerous other things.But, I didn't care because blue shiny hot chicks were jumping around and they had an orgy tree.

I just want to thank almost everyone that has posted here. Like many of you, I enjoyed watching the movie, but found the plot and writing hilariously bad. "Lazy" is very accurate. And yet, nearly all of my friends and family seem to think the epic awesomeness of the movie is aided by the plot, instead of hindered. They talk as if it were genius, as if it were a cutting but subtle criticism of America's wars.I just want to thank you all for assuring me that I am not completely crazy, and that if this movie did not have super-awesome visuals, it would've been a horrible piece of crap.