• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also watch the first Avatar teaser trailer in High Definition on AppleAvatar is the story of an ex-Marine on the planet Pandora who, as an Avatar - a human mind in an alien body - finds himself in a desperate fight for his survival and that of the indigenous beings called Na'vi.Avatar is both written and directed by Oscar winning visionary filmmaker James Cameron, of Piranha II, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, True Lies, and Titanic previously. He has been developing the technology to make this movie for the last 10 years. 20th Century Fox is bringing James Cameron's Avatar to both IMAX and regular theaters in 3D around the world on
Interesting choice of lead off movies to his credit.
Interesting choice of lead off movies to his credit.
the original piranha was the best. remember when one guy got eaten and his kid was sitting on the dock and someone comes up to him and asks "what that is down there on the dock?" and the kid says "that's the rest of my daddy"(or something like that, don't remember exactly). anyway, it was awesome.
I think it looks like cartoon crap.
WHAT>?Poor aliens who look elvish are stuck riding around on giant dragonflies as they battle soldiers in robotic tank droids shooting lasers, while the main character possesses an attractive male alien's body and scores with his alien hot wife after a sensual kiss that reveals in a moment of clarity that love is universal.It covers every demographic at the EXACT SAME TIME

Isn't Avatar a Japanime cartoon about computer avatars or something?Whatever it is, this movie looks pretty sweet. I think BG summed it up pretty well already, but they should hook one of those blue halfies up with the hung blue dude from Watchmen and make super human halfie god things.

Isn't Avatar a Japanime cartoon about computer avatars or something?
Yes, but this movie has nothing to do with that. There is another movie based on that show but they have relinquished claims to the title "Avatar". Cameron wrote this script himself.
I think it looks like cartoon crap.
I agree.. I saw the trailer before Inglorious bastards, and it looks like a mediocre cinematic cut scene for a crappy computer RPG. Hasn't CGI advanced enough so movies don't look like this anymore, particularly with budgets like Cameron has to have?
:club: Pretty sure the titanic script was mostly written, he just filled in the boring parts
Did a bang up job of it too.
  • 2 months later...

I think it might be a good movie experience, but nothing compared to the ridiculous hype. I still think it will look more like a live action/cartoon hybrid than a really...what's the word I'm looking for here?...film.

I think it might be a good movie experience, but nothing compared to the ridiculous hype. I still think it will look more like a live action/cartoon hybrid than a really...what's the word I'm looking for here?...crap.
fyp

After watching the extended preview during last night's SOA it looks like a cgi filled scifi version of dances with wolves.By that I mean the basic story arc is that of the guy sent to defend/kill the locals ends up going native.

After watching the extended preview during last night's SOA it looks like a cgi filled scifi version of dances with wolves.By that I mean the basic story arc is that of the guy sent to defend/kill the locals ends up going native.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomple...imcrackery.htmlGB: There’s also maybe some heritage linking it to “Dances With Wolves,” considering your story here of a battered military man who finds something pure in an endangered tribal culture.James Cameron: Yes, exactly, it is very much like that. You see the same theme in “At Play in the Fields of the Lord” and also “The Emerald Forest,” which maybe thematically isn’t that connected but it did have that clash of civilizations or of cultures. That was another reference point for me. There was some beautiful stuff in that film. I just gathered all this stuff in and then you look at it through the lens of science fiction and it comes out looking very different but is still recognizable in a universal story way. It’s almost comfortable for the audience – “I know what kind of tale this is.” They’re not just sitting there scratching their heads, they’re enjoying it and being taken along. And we still have turns and surprises in it, too, things you don’t see coming. But the idea that you feel like you are in a classic story, a story that could have been shaped by Rudyard Kipling or Edgar Rice Burroughs.