• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we know now that Robin HAD to go last episode. Even if Eli had delivered nothing she had to go. Can you imagine her in the Bocuse challenge? Lol, I did and it was embarrassing for all parties involved...

Tim, Bryan won./stealing brv's joke which was executed perfectly and I stole because I was talking to Tim about TC tonight
I'll take that as verification that it was, in fact, a stupid repeat.Edit: Ok, so I watched the repeat just because I can't get enough of this show. Anyways, remember how Michael lost the quickfire and then was all, 'He didn't even specify to make a ballantine.' Well as it turns out, he really did. The challenge was "To create your own version of his winning dish," and his winning dish was, of course, a ballantine. Michael's concept was flawed from the beginning, but he still blamed the judge. He's such a damn good chef, it's a shame he's not awesome like his brother.

The difference between the brothers is reaaly obvious at this point. Micheal talks about Kevin's food as if he is looking down on it. Bryan says Kevin's food is simple but when it is done right simple is great. Also, there is no way in hell that Micheal would help another competiter with something that he doesn't know. Helping Kevin with the sous vide procedured down to telling him the exact temperature to use almost is enough for me to root for Bryan now instead of Kevin. Here is hoping that these 2 are the last 2 standing

I'll take that as verification that it was, in fact, a stupid repeat.Edit: Ok, so I watched the repeat just because I can't get enough of this show. Anyways, remember how Michael lost the quickfire and then was all, 'He didn't even specify to make a ballantine.' Well as it turns out, he really did. The challenge was "To create your own version of his winning dish," and his winning dish was, of course, a ballantine. Michael's concept was flawed from the beginning, but he still blamed the judge. He's such a damn good chef, it's a shame he's not awesome like his brother.
whoa whoa whoa... hold it there candy pants. "Not a huge douche" doesn't mean he's automatically awesome. Bryan doesn't strike me as super nice. He begrudgingly helped Kevin.
He begrudgingly helped Kevin.
I strongly disagree. He was deliberate in explaining that he was glad to help, and that his brother may not have been. There was very little begrudging-ness, if any. He may have thought about it for a second, but I don't think there was really any internal debate. And I don't think Bryan was thinking 'Oh if I don't tell him the answer I'll look like a douche.' He seemed genuinely to feel that, even in a direct competition, he was happy to help out another chef because that's part of being a chef, in his mind.
I strongly disagree. He was deliberate in explaining that he was glad to help, and that his brother may not have been. There was very little begrudging-ness, if any. He may have thought about it for a second, but I don't think there was really any internal debate. And I don't think Bryan was thinking 'Oh if I don't tell him the answer I'll look like a douche.' He seemed genuinely to feel that, even in a direct competition, he was happy to help out another chef because that's part of being a chef, in his mind.
Wow... well I guess we totally disagree on that.

i totally got the impression that Brian was reluctant to give kevin instructions on the sous vide. I think he did it just to save face and try not to come off as a complete douche. But that's part of what i don't like about reality television... the editing that producers do in favor of one contestant over another. They have the ability to make the audience see what they want them to so you're basicially not forming your own opinion of someone, but the producers opinion because of how they are portraying that person to you.

I don't think we should all be judging Bryan on whether or not he was helpful to Kevin. We only saw a tiny snippet chosen by the editors/producers, we don't know everything that was said or done. Besides, it's not really important.

It appears to me that Mike V, Mike I and Eli had no issues giving heir opinions on the other contestants food, personalities or themselves. It seems as if the producers try to get Kevin and Bryan to make comment on others, each unwilling to say anything that isn't nice or at least fair. Jen is so hard on herself that it seems the producers just focus on that.I am rooting for Jen to take it down (I know she is the under dog.) I hope the final three are Kevin, Jen and Bryan. I am not saying that Michael isn't talented, in fact, I think this is the first time since season 2 where all of the contestants in the final 4 are close to being on the same par. It would just be cool not to have a villain in the mix since it always seems that the producers try to create at least one villain in every finale. Since none of the chefs were extremely hostile or prickish, Michael V has been the quasi villain of this season.

Actually, I think it was a bit presumptuous of Kevin to think that it was fair of him to ask Bryan how to sous-vide (sp) the lamb. This was very different from knocking around ideas or asking someone to take a quick taste...he asked Bryan to teach him how to use a cooking technique that was crucial to his dish. It was something that I'm sure Bryan took a long time to learn and perfect, and was a potential advantage for him in the competition...and Kevin wanted him to just give it away. That's a lot to ask, and I don't blame Bryan for hesitating for a second before deciding that collaboration is just a basic kitchen practice that he should follow even in that situation. It was a rough place to be put in.But I agree with LG that it's kind of a minor point. I like the fact that you guys are all rooting for Michael not to make the top 3...I'd prefer that as well, but I just don't see it happening.

Actually, I think it was a bit presumptuous of Kevin to think that it was fair of him to ask Bryan how to sous-vide (sp) the lamb. This was very different from knocking around ideas or asking someone to take a quick taste...he asked Bryan to teach him how to use a cooking technique that was crucial to his dish. It was something that I'm sure Bryan took a long time to learn and perfect, and was a potential advantage for him in the competition...and Kevin wanted him to just give it away. That's a lot to ask, and I don't blame Bryan for hesitating for a second before deciding that collaboration is just a basic kitchen practice that he should follow even in that situation. It was a rough place to be put in.But I agree with LG that it's kind of a minor point. I like the fact that you guys are all rooting for Michael not to make the top 3...I'd prefer that as well, but I just don't see it happening.
I agree with you to some extent, but some thoughts:- Kevin just asked. I certainly didn't get the feeling of, "You need to tell me know to do this. Seriously. Tell me." Bryan didn't have to tell him, and Kevin didn't seem like he was assuming that Bryan had to.- Just because Kevin wanted to sous-vide, doesn't mean that it was crucial to his dish. He could have done something else, or gotten on the internet.- I'm fine with Michael making the top 3, he is really really good, and will probably make it. He's just a jerk.
- Kevin just asked. I certainly didn't get the feeling of, "You need to tell me know to do this. Seriously. Tell me." Bryan didn't have to tell him, and Kevin didn't seem like he was assuming that Bryan had to.
Obviously he didn't demand anything, but the question itself was at least close to the line, if not over it. It put Bryan in the "tell him or look like an ass" position, though I'm sure that wasn't Kevin's intention. Again, I don't think it's a big deal, just wanted to throw it out there.
- Just because Kevin wanted to sous-vide, doesn't mean that it was crucial to his dish. He could have done something else, or gotten on the internet.
He attempted a cooking technique for the first time in the biggest competition of his life. He used that technique for a reason...I'm guessing he felt it was pretty crucial to sous-vide the lamb, whether it was because it was the best way to get the meat perfectly cooked or it was his way of doing at least something a bit fancier than his normal methods. And you don't just get on the internet in this situation.
- I'm fine with Michael making the top 3, he is really really good, and will probably make it. He's just a jerk.
Concur.

I think you guys are overestimating the amount of help that Bryan lent to Beardy. It appeared that Bryan only told him the specific temperature he should be aiming for, and also that you don't time it you do it just by temperature (which is also how you broil things....not exactly earth-shattering technique for Beardy to learn). It seemed like Beardy basically asked, 'How long do I cook it for?' and Bryan answered, 'Until it's 52 degrees (C, obviously).' Also, I agree with whoever said it wasn't a big deal, and also that we obviously only get little soundbites thanks to the way they edit it.

It seemed like Beardy basically asked, 'How long do I cook it for?' and Bryan answered, 'Until it's 52 degrees (C, obviously).'
I'm guessing the conversation was more in-depth than that.
I'm guessing the conversation was more in-depth than that.
I dunno. I don't think Bryan gave a step-by-step instruction for how to sous vide something. I'm sure Beardy had a basic grasp on it, or he wouldn't have tried it. Also, it really doesn't appear to be very complicated. I bet their conversation was a bit more in depth, but I also think that really it was just a simple answer to a simple question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
Sous-vide (pronounced /su ˈvid/),[1] French for "under vacuum",[1] is a method of cooking that is intended to maintain the integrity of ingredients by heating them for an extended period of time at relatively low temperatures. Food is cooked for a long time, sometimes well over 24 hours. Unlike cooking in a slow cooker, sous-vide cooking uses airtight plastic bags placed in hot water well below boiling point (usually around 60°C or 140°F).
Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow in food in the absence of oxygen and produce the deadly botulinum toxin, so sous-vide cooking must be performed under carefully controlled conditions to avoid botulism poisoning.[4] To help with food safety and taste, relatively expensive water-bath machines (thermal immersion circulators) are used to circulate precisely heated water. Differences of even one degree can affect the finished product.
i hope bryan mentioned that kevin may be poisoning the judges if he used the wrong water.jen: why haven't they called yet this morning? we're usually in the kitchens by now.michael: didn't you hear? kevin's sous vide killed three of the judges. padma is in the hospital getting her stomach pumped. food poisoning.kevin: BRYAN SAID THAT WAS THE WAY TO DO IT!!bryan: oh, shut up, beardy. you really know how to put the botch in botulism.
jen: why haven't they called yet this morning? we're usually in the kitchens by now.michael: didn't you hear? kevin's sous vide killed three of the judges. padma is in the hospital getting her stomach pumped. food poisoning.kevin: BRYAN SAID THAT WAS THE WAY TO DO IT!!bryan: oh, shut up, beardy. you really know how to put the botch in botulism.
I blame the French.
Yay! It is Top Chef Night! :)So, who do you think will get eliminated tonight? My bet is one of the brothers will crack under the pressure and I am hoping it is Michael.
Like you, I am rooting for the last woman standing.

Well, definitely came down to Michael or Jennifer, and I don't think you could argue with either decision. Sounded like all four did a great job.There were a lot of inconsistencies about the duck dish. They seemed to go from absolutely loving it to being lukewarm about it. Maybe I missed something.Dammit, Padma.