To Answer Daniel's African-american Question

Everyone here realizes that less than 200 years ago you could buy a black person right? They were nothing more than someones property. This didn't happen to white people. So if the struggle to become free and to become an equal in society is paved by terms such as "African-American" then so be it. If the color of a man's skin is of no more significance then the color of his eyes, then I think we will be at a point where we won't need to use the term "African American" as we will all just be Americans or Canadiens or whatever. However, there is still racism in america. There are still people that think exactly as how amscray posts (I am not sure if he really feels that way or if it is just his online persona so I pass no judgement) and as such we are not there yet. I hope one day we get there and we can all see each other as the same human race.
Who sold them?
Everyone here re black alizes that less than 200 years ago you could buy aperson right?
Yes, but were they being sold because they were black? What color were the people selling them? They were sold because the were easy to capture and exploit, not because they were black.
This didn't happen to white people.
Never? 200 years ago it didn't happen to white people. It didn't happen to all black people either? Again this has nothing to do with "being black"
However, there is still racism in america.
Yes, you are correct, racism also still exists in every other country in the world. I don't understand your point.
Never? 200 years ago it didn't happen to white people. It didn't happen to all black people either? Again this has nothing to do with "being black"
Wrong! Ever hear of indentured servitude? That happened mostly to white Europeans and was basically slavery.
Wrong! Ever hear of indentured servitude? That happened mostly to white Europeans and was basically slavery.
Yes, i think we are actually making the same point here.
i'm caucasian american damnit!
So your ancestors are from Russia then?
Yes, but were they being sold because they were black? What color were the people selling them? They were sold because the were easy to capture and exploit, not because they were black. Never? 200 years ago it didn't happen to white people. It didn't happen to all black people either? Again this has nothing to do with "being black" Yes, you are correct, racism also still exists in every other country in the world. I don't understand your point.
Okay my main point was that black people in america have had a much tougher road than whites in america. So if there are going to be certain phrases such as "African American" that might make it easier to transition to a non racist society then I am all for it. I could care less about the rest of history. I am only making a point about racism in america. Is there racism in other counrties ... yes. Has there been certain froms of slavery all throughout history ... yes. But I am making a point about Racism in america. I wasn't writing a history on slavery. I believe Americans should try to lead the world on this issue and I think in a lot of ways we do. We still have a long way to go and I hope one day we get there.
Okay my main point was that black people in america have had a much tougher road than whites in america. So if there are going to be certain phrases such as "African American" that might make it easier to transition to a non racist society then I am all for it. I could care less about the rest of history. I am only making a point about racism in america. Is there racism in other counrties ... yes. Has there been certain froms of slavery all throughout history ... yes. But I am making a point about Racism in america. I wasn't writing a history on slavery. I believe Americans should try to lead the world on this issue and I think in a lot of ways we do. We still have a long way to go and I hope one day we get there.
Probably the main issue I break with traditional republican platform is in the affirmative action quota plan designed to give young black people a leg up on advancing in life.I am of the opinion that there is not a level playing field yet, that many young black men from poor neighborhoods had much fewer opportunities than an average white man, their parents were poorer, and may very well have lived through serious restrictions on their freedoms that prevented them from saving enough to send their children to schools etc. Plus the black community has been preyed upon by the left to keep them dependant on government and told that they are not equals etc through deceptive advertisement campaigns, and predatorial black pseudo leaders like Sharpton and Jackson.I do think in one more generation this will not be as true, and feel then it should be phased out permanantly, but for now I got no problem giving a person who wants to succeed a better chance then they might otherwise get by making a place for them at the table of equality and fairness.If it means the white person has to try harder to succeed, than so be it. Competition like that brings the cream to the top.I am now ready to be told why I am wrong.
Ok, I can agree with most of this. I would certainly use the word african-american to an individual that prefers it, but I think it is silly for that to be the default term to describe black americans. I just have a problem when people say that racism still exists in America as though the US or the Southern States in the US are the only bastions of racism left in the world. Bolded = Excellent point. Though I don't' think calling blacks african american does anything of significance to help that cause.
Probably the main issue I break with traditional republican platform is in the affirmative action quota plan designed to give young black people a leg up on advancing in life.I am of the opinion that there is not a level playing field yet, that many young black men from poor neighborhoods had much fewer opportunities than an average white man, their parents were poorer, and may very well have lived through serious restrictions on their freedoms that prevented them from saving enough to send their children to schools etc. Plus the black community has been preyed upon by the left to keep them dependant on government and told that they are not equals etc through deceptive advertisement campaigns, and predatorial black pseudo leaders like Sharpton and Jackson.I do think in one more generation this will not be as true, and feel then it should be phased out permanantly, but for now I got no problem giving a person who wants to succeed a better chance then they might otherwise get by making a place for them at the table of equality and fairness.If it means the white person has to try harder to succeed, than so be it. Competition like that brings the cream to the top.I am now ready to be told why I am wrong.
I agree with most of this. Throughout the history of this Country employers and institutions of higher learning have used many different criteria for hiring/admissions and it seems perfectly reasonable to me give a couple of extra points to minorities based on their race. In a perfect world you wouldn't need this but we dont' live in a perfect world. What I disagree with is when you set up a specific, preset criteria, on which to hire and then you change them after the fact because minority candadates don't do well with these criteria.
Ok, I can agree with most of this. I would certainly use the word african-american to an individual that prefers it, but I think it is silly for that to be the default term to describe black americans. I just have a problem when people say that racism still exists in America as though the US or the Southern States in the US are the only bastions of racism left in the world. Bolded = Excellent point. *1Though I don't' think calling blacks african american does anything of significance to help that cause.I agree with most of this. Throughout the history of this Country employers and institutions of higher learning have used many different criteria for hiring/admissions and it seems perfectly reasonable to me give a couple of extra points to minorities based on their race. In a perfect world you wouldn't need this but we dont' live in a perfect world. *2What I disagree with is when you set up a specific, preset criteria, on which to hire and then you change them after the fact because minority candadates don't do well with these criteria.
Bolded Point 1 - I also don't think that it does anything, but if there are people that do think that way, and it seems that there are, then I think that it is a good thing. Like I said anything that can aid in changing people's perception is good in my book. If that goes away in 50 years because we have gotten farther down the road of equality then that is good too. I really see no reason for "African American" other than to break down barriers for those that have barriers.Bolded Point 2 - I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Stop the Universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!I agree with BG!I am currently production manager in a business that requires working either the swing shift or the graveyard shift. (8 PM - 4AM or 4 AM - Noon) We work six days a week. The work requires dealing with significant amounts of radiation. The radioisotope we make has a half-life of 2 hours. Once we start production, my techs are required to:Run and tune 2 cyclotrons.Prepare and operate chemical synthesis boxes.Perform QC tests to validate the product.Start and end bombardments and perform chemical synthesis approximately every 90 minutes.This is a 2 man operation once it is running. We are the world's leader in what we do. My best two techs are young black men who started as delivery drivers. They have no more education than a high school diploma.I tried to hire people with degrees. White or Black, when they heard about the hours, the radiation and the pace of the environment...... they all bailed. They wanted a cushy day job.I saw 2 drivers who were doing everything they could to get ahead. I saw 2 young men with a solid work ethic and the drive to improve themselves. I promoted them. They have exceeded all of my expectations. Those young men showed more desire and skills than many college students. They saw an opportunity and went after it with all they had. I consider myself lucky to have them in my department.We get visitors from other sites from around the globe. They come to see how we do so much with so little. When those moments happen, I tell them to talk to Sherron and Khaliff. I tell them that without good people, an organization is nothing. I step back and let the men who busted their asses take the credit.