*official* Fantasy Football 2009 Discussion Thread

Well, I'd have to look at your draft board, to see who got taken.. but I had the number 1 pick in one of my drafts, and I took AP 1 and Jennings and White 24 and 25. Had Sjax been there, I would have taken Sjax and Jennings, probably.The top tier WR's I think ( going into the draft, at least) were Fitz, A Johnson, Moss, C Johnson, Wayne, Jennings, White and Boldin. I would have taken SJax over a Wayne, Jennings, White, Boldin and probably C Johnson. My thinking is you'd want at least one of those top 8 in the first three rounds.. getting 2 of them is nice too, but you can't give up value to do it.
None of those WRs were available at 24, which I guess is why SJax was. I'm not upset about the pick, in fact I'm happy with it but going into it thinking I would get 2 top-10 WRs just surprised me I guess.Actually I think everyone may have overvalued WRs this year. Going into the drafts this year, everyone seemed to have the WR first bug, and I think RBs value may have increased because of it. Contrarianism or some shit, thanks Titical Blunder.
Don't take those last comments as an attack on your integrity in any fashion. You're gonna pick value wise and if that means goin rb rb than so be it, I do it too when conditions determine so. I'm still on board with bennett bein a better pick up at this time, However if Murphy has another solid game this week than I expect him to surpass Schilens on tha depth chart.
I didn't take it as an attack, I just found it funny that I would most definitely be classified as "the old school must take RB-RB with the first 2 rounds guy," when the last 2 years I have gone into the draft with the complete opposite strategy. I've had guys tell me that they "know" I'm going RB-RB, so I guess I can use that to my advantage someday.
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shockey or Clark this weekend at TE? I feel like with AGonz down, it'd be crazy to not start Clark, but Shockey is projected higher across the board...apparently the iggles give up a lot to TE's.

I mean, Tony Gonzalez had a nice game vs. Miami, and Clark has a better QB throwing to him, and the Colts have a worse running game than the Falcons, so... I think Clark is going to have a nice game (especially with Anthony Gonzalez out). Meanwhile, I kind of think Brees doesn't care who he throws it to, and the Saints have a ton of offensive weapons, so I don't think Shockey's week 1 performance is going to be the norm. I'd start Clark.

One particular league i'm in has some pretty high scoring settings. Rb's and Wr's get 1 pt per 10 rushing/receiving yards, 0.5 pts per reception, 6 pts per touchdown and 10 pts per 100 yard milestones for rushing/receiving. They also get 1 pt per 20 return yards and 5 pts per 100 return yard milestones as well as 6 pt return td's. We start 1 Qb, 1 Te, 3 Wr's, 2 Rb's, and 1 W/R flex. The rest of the positions involve defense and i'm set at what i'm gonna do there. Should I start Philip Rivers hosting miami or Schaub hosting jacksonville? I picked up clifton smith and think i'll put him in somewhere's cuz i think the g-men will score lots and smith might even reach 200 return yards. So what combination of RB's and WR's should i start? I have Desean Jackson, Ted ginn jr, Reggie Wayne, Houshmanzadah, Steve Breaston, Chris Johnson, Darren Sproles, Darren Mcfadden, and clifton smith

One particular league i'm in has some pretty high scoring settings. Rb's and Wr's get 1 pt per 10 rushing/receiving yards, 0.5 pts per reception, 6 pts per touchdown and 10 pts per 100 yard milestones for rushing/receiving. They also get 1 pt per 20 return yards and 5 pts per 100 return yard milestones as well as 6 pt return td's. We start 1 Qb, 1 Te, 3 Wr's, 2 Rb's, and 1 W/R flex. The rest of the positions involve defense and i'm set at what i'm gonna do there. Should I start Philip Rivers hosting miami or Schaub hosting jacksonville? I picked up clifton smith and think i'll put him in somewhere's cuz i think the g-men will score lots and smith might even reach 200 return yards. So what combination of RB's and WR's should i start? I have Desean Jackson, Ted ginn jr, Reggie Wayne, Houshmanzadah, Steve Breaston, Chris Johnson, Darren Sproles, Darren Mcfadden, and clifton smith
Sit Desean, Ginn, and either Housh or Breaston. Start everybody else. The Housh call is tough b/c Seneca Wallace is awful, but at least he's the no. 1. I'd start Breaston instead.Start Rivers over Schaub. Houston will be able to run on Jacksonville, so I don't think Schaub has a huge game (plus, Walter might be out again). Manning put up nice numbers on the Dolphins with only 15 minutes of possession; the Chargers have a better D than the Colts, so I'd expect even more drives for Rivers.For one of my leagues: I have to start two of: Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Fred Jackson. Portis has a great matchup vs. Detroit, and it's difficult to think about benching Peterson; but everybody is predicting Jackson to go off this week.Maybe I'll try and move him for WR help.
Sit Desean, Ginn, and either Housh or Breaston. Start everybody else. The Housh call is tough b/c Seneca Wallace is awful, but at least he's the no. 1. I'd start Breaston instead.Start Rivers over Schaub. Houston will be able to run on Jacksonville, so I don't think Schaub has a huge game (plus, Walter might be out again). Manning put up nice numbers on the Dolphins with only 15 minutes of possession; the Chargers have a better D than the Colts, so I'd expect even more drives for Rivers.For one of my leagues: I have to start two of: Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Fred Jackson. Portis has a great matchup vs. Detroit, and it's difficult to think about benching Peterson; but everybody is predicting Jackson to go off this week.Maybe I'll try and move him for WR help.
I agree with starting rivers but it was close so I wanted to hear someone else say it. As far as the other starts I can only start three Rb's and thats if i designate one to the flex spot and i have to start three wide receivers. I'm thinkin reggie wayne and Desean (apparently he's fine and curtis ain't) for Wr's and i'm thinkin clifton smith, and Sproles for sure for Rb. So that leaves 1 Wr spot, and 1 W/R flex open with Ginn, Housh, Breaston, Chris Johnson, Darren Mcfadden to choose from with those 2 spots. I like the Jackson start cuz the only way buffalo stands a remote chance is by keepin the ball outta Brees' hands thereby giving Jackson one last final bid for carries before Lynch's suspension is up. That motivation should propel his game and I think Peterson's got a tweaked back which may limit his touches.

With Barber and Jones recovering from injuries Tashard Choice is looking like the better option but I also have Pierre Thomas. Choice could see a lot of carries even if Barber plays. I can't decide who to start behind AP. Any suggestions? Also, Johnny Knox or Steve Breaston?

With Barber and Jones recovering from injuries Tashard Choice is looking like the better option but I also have Pierre Thomas. Choice could see a lot of carries even if Barber plays. I can't decide who to start behind AP. Any suggestions? Also, Johnny Knox or Steve Breaston?
Choice looked pretty good last week and I'm not convinced Denver's defense is not all that good. They have faced some of the worst offenses in the NFL making their numbers look better than they are, while the Jets D is for real IMO, so I'd go with Choice.As far as Breaston and Knox, since Breaston is on a bye week, I think you are safe choosing Knox.

Is it time to just flat out drop McFadden? I don't think he's going to do anything this year. In my opinion if he was going to have a big game against the Texans is when that would happen and he rushed for -3 yards. I'm sure no one is willing to give anything up for McFadden. Anybody agree with me that McFadden is droppable at this point?

Is it time to just flat out drop McFadden? I don't think he's going to do anything this year. In my opinion if he was going to have a big game against the Texans is when that would happen and he rushed for -3 yards. I'm sure no one is willing to give anything up for McFadden. Anybody agree with me that McFadden is droppable at this point?
I'm wonderin that myself i picked him up in both my leagues thinkin he was due and i got what i thought was great value for him late. both my leagues are keepers tho so what do you guys think? I'm thinkin to hold out till he's back and hope there's a qb change by then and see what happens.
Yahoo is reporting McFadden is having knee surgery and will be out for 2-4 weeks. Drop drop drop.
Yeah torn meniscus. He's going to be a drop for me in 2 of my leagues. Mike Sims-Walker is available on the WW in one of those leagues, hopefully he will still be available when I get a chance to claim him.

Freaking raiders put me on tilt. I liked McFadden AND M.Bush going into the season but Russell and that O-line are so bad they just can't put up good numbers. You can stack 8 in the box every time, it's not like Russell is going to make you pay. I only own Dmac in a dynasty so obviously not dropping him there. But I do own M.Bush in a redraft and I will give him a chance to shine with DMac out of the way. If he doesn't do anything in the next 1-2 weeks i'll cut loose on him too.

On an unrelated note, I HAVE dropped Larry Johnson and Leon Washington in redraft leagues. Neither are putting up the numbers I was hoping for - but both were backups anyway.A couple of the crappier teams in my league picked them up, but they haven't been active enough on Waivers and are in trouble if they have to start them. They wouldn't ever crack the starting lineup on my squad.

Would take Warner; that could be a shootout, but Philly-Tampa will likely be over early.I can start 2 RB; one will be Peterson. 2nd is...?Fred Jackson (14.44)Cedric Benson (6.73)Clinton Portis (9.99)Ahmad Bradshaw (8.53)Chester Taylor (7.52)Numbers in parentheses are Yahoo fantasy points predictions for this week. Do they know something I don't? Why is Jackson outscoring Portis?

Why is Jackson outscoring Portis?
Because Portis has been asstastic all year.Though Jackson is getting his carries cut down by Lynch being back. You should try and pull a 2 for 1 RB deal with a team that has one good RB and no depth.

In the spirit of McNabb.......do i start McNabb or Flacco this week. I feel like this one is a total toss up. I'm trying to look at all the angles but i feel like the coin pretty much lands on it's side here. Thoughts??

In the spirit of McNabb.......do i start McNabb or Flacco this week. I feel like this one is a total toss up. I'm trying to look at all the angles but i feel like the coin pretty much lands on it's side here. Thoughts??
I think it has everything to do with your team and this week's matchup, and much less to do with Flacco/McNabb. If you have to have an absolute bomber performance from your QB this week to win, then McNabb has the bigger upside so go with him....but if you can live with getting 15-20 from your QB and it would keep a weaker opponent in the game if you got like 6 or 10 from your QB (McNabb lays and egg or gets hurt again), then go with Flacco. I didn't hesitate starting Flacco this week vs. Cinci instead of Brady vs. Denver, but that's a different choice imo.
I think it has everything to do with your team and this week's matchup, and much less to do with Flacco/McNabb. If you have to have an absolute bomber performance from your QB this week to win, then McNabb has the bigger upside so go with him....but if you can live with getting 15-20 from your QB and it would keep a weaker opponent in the game if you got like 6 or 10 from your QB (McNabb lays and egg or gets hurt again), then go with Flacco. I didn't hesitate starting Flacco this week vs. Cinci instead of Brady vs. Denver, but that's a different choice imo.
Agreed 100%. My team has been steadily strong....surprisingly as we've dealt with injuries to mcnabb, gore and anthony gonzalez. I'm 3-1 with my only loss coming last week with the second highest score for the week (team's bad performance shadowed by the SF D tho).Put it this way, my lineup for the week will be Ray RiceMaurice Jones DrewAnquan BoldinDwayne BoweOwen DanielsI feel like McNabb fits better as far as a balanced portfolio (having rice), but I agree that Flacco is probably the sure mid-range point day, where McNabb range is ATC. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah Flacco laid his egg and Brady looked pretty good. Ah well. If Dallas Clark and Ronnie Brown get their projected, I still win, since Ray Rice was awesome and Mendenhall did good too.

Ronnie Brown's last minute TD gets me the Fantasy win...ty sir. Mendenhall is still a start this week, even with Willie Parker back, yes? I could play Cadillac Williams instead.