Catching up... my personal laptop died a few weeks ago.

I love Paint it Black, it's probably my favorite Stones song (not in any small part, due to the fact that it was the theme song for one of my favorite all time TV shows, Tour of Duty). But I didn't really like Siobhan. She lost the scream note at least two times, and it just didn't sound very good. The ending after the scream was great, she has a pure voice. I just don't like screaming. I didn't like it last year either, when everyone else seemed to love Adam... so at least I'm consistent.Also, she's really weird.
I am not trying to be mean spirited or anything disrespectful... But when I read this, all I could think is that you have never had just wild crazy oh my god dirty sweaty messy sex. When I hear people like Adam Lambert or Siobhan sing and they look and sound like they are in that god awful but god amazing moment right before climaxing... it sends chils down my spine. I think this is what you are missing. It is the rawness, the animalistic quirky fantastic energy that is behind the singing that makes it great... not the technical notes.Like Lou Reed sang... "Hey Babe, take a walk on the wild side."
  • Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that power slide by Tim was the gheyest thing I have ever seen. He and Paige should both be cut.
Agree. And Andrew. OMG... I can't believe how many really sucky singers there are this year.However, Crystal was at her best tonight and I was plesantly surprised by that Malcolm in the Middle kid.

Triple post here... :)I think the biggest disapointment tonight was the band. What was it with all of the horns tonight? That is what made all of these songs sound so cheesy. Granted... most of the performances were sub par but the band really butchered the evening. Biggest surprise was Miley Cirus. I thought she did a pretty good job, especially for being so young.

Siobhan even has a cool last name for her non-superhero alter: MagnusI find her interesting and unconventional and would probably do bad things for her love.
her geeky glasses followed by her punky stage look are very clark kent / supermani thought didi was really good not sure what their problem wassomeone should remind andrew that he's hispanic and that works for him - why didn't he do smooth?someone please tell casey james that we've known stevie ray vaughan and he's no stevie ray vaughan

Ok some contestants are expected to be below par, but....holy shit. Paige was so bad. What the hell was that? Like it was so bad, there has to be thousands of singers who could have blown her out of the water. That was one of the worst performances I can ever remember in the top 12 since Sanjaya.They should just skip the whole judging segment with Tim performs. He is going to be bad every time. It is the judges fault for even letting him on. There were plenty of contestants from Hollywood week who outsang him. I don't really remember him doing anything special... ever.Siobhan is definitely my favorite, but she needs to cool it with the scream. It is cool to bring out every once in awhile, but her doing it every week is becoming cheesy. It doesn't need to be a trademark.Crystal was the best. I also enjoyed big black dude although he got a couple harsh critiques. I like Didi, but agree with the judges, it was a weird song choice and weird performance. I still like the 17 year old girl who did the Fergie song.I agree with everyone who is disappointed with Andrew. He acts and sounds like he doesn't have a vocal coach. I think he could be really good with a coach. If he does have a coach then he needs a new one.

I missed the show last night and didn't PVR it. Andrew has been my fav guy, did he totally butcher it last night or was it just not right for him? What did the judges say?

Lee - Cool song. He pulled it off in parts, but sometimes I felt like he was thinking too much and it didn't sound comfortable. He just doesn't have any conviction, his face is so passive, that's what is holding him back. I prefer this style of song from his normal style so its still an improvement for me.Paige - I liked her in the pre-interview. Whoaaaa this is weak. Pitch is all over the place. I thought her power voice would save it, but she has no idea what note to sing the "now" in take a look at me now, everytime it's completely flat. Really bad. It's a shame. I don't think she was confident enough with it.Tim - Love the song (its so fun!), hate him choosing it... I thought he wanted a indie songwriter style, not a country/glamrock style. It doesn't say anything about him. His vocals aren't bad and he is working the crowd so he might not be in trouble this week. Basically what the judges are saying... just an odd choice of song and he doesn't have the talent to back up his flair. What I think is happening with him is what I said ages ago: he's a cute young boy, so young girls are voting for him.Aaron - He has a bad habit of holding a note just half a beat too long, he needs to work on that. I wasn't crazy about this performance, I thought it was good. The song can be more powerful, but he did a good job. I still don't like him but I'm seeing his potential now.Crystal - How gay getting Miley to sign her guitar. A bit shrieky in the "do do do dodo" parts and when it really kicked in, but she mostly controlled it well. Not my favourite performance by her but a good one and better than last week. I think its hard to work the stage while playing guitar and singing, especially since she can't hold the mic at the same time as playing (haha Kara basically implied this right after I typed this).Mike - Great song choice, I hope he goes big with it like the original otherwise it could go cheesy vs. motown. I'm not loving this faggy orchestral with a twist of honky tonk arrangement. The vocals are bangin though, he did a big note and that's what I asked for. Very good, I'm happy with this. I don't get why the judges are ragging on the song choice, I think they also dislike the arrangement as I said. I think they need to fire the bandleader guy, they're always hating on his arrangements. Andrew - Miley was right to tell him to ditch the guitar, this song has swagger so he needs to move with it. I hate his outfit, it doesn't match the song. Hmm he actually doesn't know how to work the stage, its a lot of corny gesturing - he needs more practice to be more natural on stage. The vocals are alright but really karaoke, he didn't add anything, it just wasn't 'him'. I am liking him less each week.Katie - Ewww I HATE this song, hate Fergie and hate Katie, so I guess it's the perfect choice for her. Very pitchy in the chorus when she starts yelling it instead of singing. Not a good vocal compared to her previous performances. She really missed a few key notes, especially toward the end. I don't think she realised it either, she seemed pleased with herself after. The judges need to watch this back, they are not hearing how offpitch the vocals were live.Casey - Interesting song choice (ETA: when I wrote this I was expecting that other song "Power of Love", the one by Frankie Goes to Hollywood - I think it would have been a lot cooler). Pretty cool performance, the vocals were nice. It didn't blow my socks off but I thought it was pretty good.Didi - Oooh it's sounding real good from the preview video. Very cool with the jazz musicians on the stage. I'm loving this really. I have always liked her voice and she is finally picking the right songs to showcase it (ETA: guess I disagree with Ellen). She is very distinctive and unique in the competition. Her pitch is good (ETA: guess I disagree with Randy), she's even performing it with her facial expressions (ETA: guess I disagree with Kara). I am super impressed. (ETA: Guess I disagree with Simon) My favourite of the night. Siobhan - Great song choice. I dig the performance and the vocals, though I think she shrieks a little too much on the big notes. I thought she was really good, she's not in trouble.In summary/predictions:I very much disgreed with the judges on some of the contestants this week, especially Didi. Crystal, Siobhan, Didi and Mike were great. Casey, Tim and Lee were good. The rest were bad.In trouble: Paige, Tim, Andrew. Paige goes home.

Lee - Pretty decent, but still lacking a spark. I like his voice. Paige - Not sure what happened to make her completely suck the past couple of weeks or so, but that was horrificTim - I hope the judges are smacking themselves in the head for even letting him come to Hollywood. This was just awful.Aaron - Hate the song, liked the delivery. This little dude is actually one of the few who are improving.Crystal - Almost great, as usual. Managed to stay away from the compleat Janis delivery, which was good. Her range and control are as good as anyone I've seen on any Idol season.Big Mike - Not sure why the judges ripped him like they did. I thought it was quite professional and solid. It's defintely his comfort zone and it's silly of the judges to criticise him for playing it safe on a week they were touting as "the most important".Andrew - Meh. I really do want to like this guy better, but he just isn't delivering the goods. Like Lacey, I think he's a one trick pony and will soon be goneKatie - I have never liked her and I have no idea why she made it this far. She has a flat delivery and no discernible spark.Casey - One of the top three performances of the night, which isn't saying much. He's going to have to lose the guitar to prove he can troll the stage without a security blanket. I liked it well enough, but it was still as generic as the original song.Didi - Again, this was better than the judges gave her, but I did agree with the "acting" simile. I didn't feel she was inhabiting the song and this prevented the performance from having that element of danger that was needed.Siobhan - Well, I really dig this chick, but she really has to stop the screeching thing. It's not an attractive "signature" flourish. She does have a quality voice but needs to show some restraint. She probably has the best bottom register of anyone left.Bottom 3 predictions: Paige, Tim, AndrewPaige will be going home.

I am not trying to be mean spirited or anything disrespectful... But when I read this, all I could think is that you have never had just wild crazy oh my god dirty sweaty messy sex.
lolSo did anyone else do a little secret fist pump when they saw Miley Cyrus was the mentor this week? No? Ok, moving on...
Lee - Cool song. He pulled it off in parts, but sometimes I felt like he was thinking too much and it didn't sound comfortable. He just doesn't have any conviction, his face is so passive, that's what is holding him back. I prefer this style of song from his normal style so its still an improvement for me.
I really like the way he sings, but pretty much since Ryan pointed out he's nervous I can't stop noticing how uncomfortable he is. Not just when he's singing (where it's actually least noticeable), but even when he's just standing up there. Makes me uncomfortable. But he's better than most and seems likable enough, so I hope he makes it deep, but he would really need to break out to win it.
Paige - Really bad.
Train. Wreck. Wow. She has to be going home this week.
Tim - Love the song (its so fun!)
I'm going to give the contestants a tip. If someone were to ask you, "Why are you doing this song?" and your answer is, "I just want to have some fun with it," don't do it. It's not going to turn out well.
Aaron - I still don't like him but I'm seeing his potential now.
When Ryan said he was singing an Aerosmith song, was there anyone anywhere who didn't immediately know he was going to sing this song? He's probably a top six contestant; I hope he does something different sometime.
Crystal - A bit shrieky in the "do do do dodo" parts and when it really kicked in, but she mostly controlled it well. Not my favourite performance by her but a good one and better than last week.
I thought once she got going it was pretty awesome. My favorite of the night. I also liked that she brought her own little magic rug out there with her. I also liked how she's getting the hype going for her next performance and then thought that might've sounded a little arrogant so tried to get in the "if I make it" comment. She's definitely benefited the most from the Idol makeover people.
Mike - Very good, I'm happy with this. I don't get why the judges are ragging on the song choice.
It's just a predictable song choice for him, but who knows what the judges are thinking.
Andrew - Hmm he actually doesn't know how to work the stage, its a lot of corny gesturing - he needs more practice to be more natural on stage.
Good job at directing the show by cutting to Miley twice while she has a totally disinterested look on her face. "I'm getting paid for this, right?"
Katie - Ewww I HATE this song, hate Fergie and hate Katie, so I guess it's the perfect choice for her.
I thought she sucked.
Casey - Pretty cool performance, the vocals were nice. It didn't blow my socks off but I thought it was pretty good.
I can't believe the first three judges were going crazy over this. Super generic. I did like that he said he was going to work the stage which apparently meant starting at one spot, playing a little guitar, then walking over to the mic stand and singing from there the whole time. Work it, Casey, work it!
Didi - Oooh it's sounding real good from the preview video. Very cool with the jazz musicians on the stage. I'm loving this really. I have always liked her voice and she is finally picking the right songs to showcase it (ETA: guess I disagree with Ellen). She is very distinctive and unique in the competition. Her pitch is good (ETA: guess I disagree with Randy), she's even performing it with her facial expressions (ETA: guess I disagree with Kara). I am super impressed. (ETA: Guess I disagree with Simon) My favourite of the night.
Yeah, I have no idea what the judges were seeing/hearing; I liked this a lot.
Siobhan - Great song choice. I dig the performance and the vocals, though I think she shrieks a little too much on the big notes. I thought she was really good, she's not in trouble.
She's just awesome.
In trouble: Paige, Tim, Andrew. Paige goes home.
Clearly.

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to comment on this, but I had too many quotes in my post and I had to remove some...

her geeky glasses followed by her punky stage look are very clark kent / superman
I totally agree and it definitely adds to her charm.

Yeah, they got the bottom 3 right and sent home the right person. GG Tim next week.And I just watched Tuesday's show last night. I have no idea what the judges were talking about with Didi. I thought she was great and looked quite sexy up there. I was buying it.

Ryan talking to Crystal:You have Kara saying lose the guitar and Simon saying keep the guitar. Who do you listen to?Me.Thumbs up or thumbs down?I think she needs to be careful about coming across as bigger than the show because the people who are doing the voting love the show. Of course, I get the impression that she only cares about getting the exposure and winning is secondary.

Ryan talking to Crystal:You have Kara saying lose the guitar and Simon saying keep the guitar. Who do you listen to?Me.Thumbs up or thumbs down?I think she needs to be careful about coming across as bigger than the show because the people who are doing the voting love the show. Of course, I get the impression that she only cares about getting the exposure and winning is secondary.
She definitely needs to be more careful with her answers. Adam is a perfect example of this. He was always very careful to be extremely humble, and it was endearing.
I liked the answer but maybe not the way she said it. I didn't think "whoa cocky" but I thought she should have added something to show she isn't taking herself too seriously.
I kind of like her attitude actually. She doesn't seem like the puppet type of artist that they typically have on the show and I think they need somebody like here every once in a while to shake things up a bit. Will it hurt her on the show, yeah. I think she'll definitely lose some votes in the process. I just don't think she wants to be the type of artist that they want. She'd rather do her own thing. I think you said it best, she is looking for exposure.

Simon was appluading Crystal's reply and the audience went nutso. I liked the answer and I didn't think she was full of herself. False humility is usually pretty obvious and I'd rather someone be arrogant than a facetious liar.

Ryan talking to Crystal:You have Kara saying lose the guitar and Simon saying keep the guitar. Who do you listen to?Me.Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Well, the sad truth is that it is not quite the truth. I don't think she is listening to herself when she is doing those pathetic Ford commercials or the group routines. But I do like her moxie. I doubt if she will win... but it may be best for her if she doesn't. I don't think she will be able to win over the 12-15 year olds.By the way... Vote for the Worst is pumping up Tim. Do you think he will be around for a while like Sanjayah?
She definitely needs to be more careful with her answers. Adam is a perfect example of this. He was always very careful to be extremely humble, and it was endearing.
You mean the guy that came in second last year? :club:
Well, the sad truth is that it is not quite the truth. I don't think she is listening to herself when she is doing those pathetic Ford commercials or the group routines.

Here is the list of songs that the contestants can choose from for next week:1. At Your Best You Are Love, Aaliyah2. Try Again, Aaliyah3. Tell It Like It Is, Aaron Neville4. Let's Stay Together, Al Green5. Tired of Being Alone, Al Green6. No One, Alicia Keys7. Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart, Alicia Keys8. Sweet Love, Anita Baker9. Chain of Fools, Aretha Franklin10. Respect, Aretha Franklin11. (You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman, Aretha Franklin12. Every Time I Close My Eyes, Babyface13. Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe, Barry White14. Stand by Me, Ben E. King15. Don't Be Cruel, Bobby Brown16. My Prerogative, Bobby Brown17. A Song for Mama, Boyz II Men18. I'll Make Love to You, Boyz II Men19. It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday, Boyz II Men20. On Bended Knee, Boyz II Men21. Have You Ever, Brandy22. The Boy Is Mine, Brandy23. Back At One, Brian McKnight24. Rainy Night In Georgia, Brook Benton25. Tell Me Something Good, Chaka Khan & Rufus26. Forever, Chris Brown27. With You, Chris Brown28. Treat Her Like a Lady, Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose29. It's All Right, Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions30. Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Diana Ross31. Let's Groove, Earth, Wind & Fire32. September, Earth, Wind & Fire33. Knock On Wood, Eddie Floyd34. I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Gladys Knight & The Pips35. Midnight Train to Georgia, Gladys Knight & The Pips36. (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher, Jackie Wilson37. I Want You Back, Jackson 538. Never Can Say Goodbye, Jackson 539. Who's Lovin' You, Jackson 540. I Got You (I Feel Good), James Brown41. On the Wings of Love, Jeffrey Osborne42. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted, Jimmy Ruffin43. I Wanna Know, Joe44. Superwoman, Karyn White45. Here and Now, Luther Vandross46. If Only for One Night, Luther Vandross47. Never Too Much, Luther Vandross48. Stop to Love, Luther Vandross49. Love Won't Let Me Wait, Major Harris50. Vision of Love, Mariah Carey51. We Belong Together, Mariah Carey52. (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas53. Dancing in the Street, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas54. Nowhere to Run, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas55. Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell56. I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Marvin Gaye57. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology), Marvin Gaye58. Be Without You, Mary J. Blige59. I Am, Mary J. Blige60. My Guy, Mary Wells61. Human Nature, Michael Jackson62. Rock With You, Michael Jackson63. Angel of Mine, Monica64. For You I Will, Monica65. Because of You, Ne-Yo66. Mad, Ne-Yo67. I've Been Loving You Too Long, Otis Redding68. (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay, Otis Redding69. Georgia On My Mind, Ray Charles70. Unchain My Heart, Ray Charles71. Shut Up and Drive, Rihanna72. Umbrella, Rihanna & Jay-Z73. Hold On, I'm Coming, Sam & Dave74. Soul Man, Sam & Dave75. Bring It On Home to Me, Sam Cooke76. Cruisin', Smokey Robinson77. I Second That Emotion, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles78. The Tears of a Clown, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles79. The Tracks of My Tears, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles80. Home, Stephanie Mills81. Superstition, Stevie Wonder82. I Wish, Stevie Wonder83. Living for the City, Stevie Wonder84. Uptight (Everything's Alright), Stevie Wonder85. Easy, The Commodores86. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get, The Dramatics87. Baby I Need Your Loving, The Four Tops88. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch), The Four Tops89. Reach Out I'll Be There, The Four Tops90. People Get Ready, The Impressions91. It's Your Thing, The Isley Brothers92. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You), The Isley Brothers93. Shop Around, The Miracles94. You've Really Got a Hold On Me, The Miracles95. Could It Be I'm Falling in Love, The Spinners96. People Make the World Go Round, The Stylistics97. You Make Me Feel Brand New, The Stylistics98. Back in My Arms Again, The Supremes99. Stop! In the Name of Love, The Supremes100. Where Did Our Love Go, The Supremes101. You Can't Hurry Love, The Supremes102. You Keep Me Hangin' On, The Supremes103. Ain't Too Proud to Beg, The Temptations104. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), The Temptations105. Papa Was a Rollin' Stone, The Temptations106. Don't Leave Me This Way, Thelma Houston107. I Can't Stand the Rain, Tina Turner108. We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome), Tina Turner109. Waterfalls, TLC110. Un-Break My Heart, Toni Braxton111. Burn, Usher112. My Boo, Usher113. Nice & Slow, Usher114. U Got It Bad, Usher115. U Remind Me, Usher116. Save the Best for Last, Vanessa Williams117. Greatest Love of All, Whitney Houston118. How Will I Know, Whitney Houston119. Saving All My Love for You, Whitney Houston120. In the Midnight Hour, Wilson Pickett121. Land of 1000 Dances, Wilson Pickett122. Mustang Sally, Wilson PickettAnybody want to take a guess at who will be singing what?

You know what really pisses me off? Seeing Umbrella and Shut Up and Drive on this list. You ****ing call THAT R&B? I'm not saying they are bad songs (I won't say they are good either), but that is NOT R&B, no matter how you slice it. It's POP./rantThat being said, at least half of the contestant are going to pick really stupid songs that don't match their range and are going to try really hard to suck up to the generic popularity of it all.It's a lock someone will sing Respect. I just hope they throw the Otis Redding twist on it (he wrote it, after all). Speaking of Otis (and Marvin, for that matter), there aren't nearly enough song choices on there from these artists. I love them both and I'm disappointed...(I mean, **** me in the ear...4 Boyz2Men songs and only two from Otis?)I'd like to also see someone do:Never Can Say GoodbyeShop AroundPeople Get ReadyJust My Imagination ...for exampleAlso, just for a larf, Aaron can sing "Hold On, I'm Coming" by Sam and Dave