Nbc’s Face The Ace (full Tilt Poker Promo)

Not sure if anyone here has qualified, would have thought something would have popped up in General.Here are the details courtesy of http://www.pokernewsdaily.com/nbc-face-the...ugust-1st-3573/In online poker’s version of Iron Chef, Face the Ace will premier on NBC on August 1st. The show will air in the 9:00pm to 10:00pm ET time slot and is hosted by The Sopranos’ Steve Schirripa. It features pros from Full Tilt Poker.In a conference call earlier this week, Schirripa noted that Face the Ace is the “first of its kind to air in primetime on a broadcast network.” At stake is a chance to win $1 million on national television and the series contains a total of seven episodes. To start Face the Ace, four pros will be stationed behind glass doors, hidden from view by a contestant, who will select one to play in a game of Heads-Up No Limit Hold’em. If a contestant defeats the “ace,” they’ll receive $40,000 for their efforts. They can then elect to keep the $40,000 and walk away or face a second pro for a chance at $200,000. If they win once again, each contestant can take the money or play one last heads-up match for $1 million. If a contestant loses to an “ace” at any time, they’ll forfeit their winnings in a unique all-or-nothing proposition.Each match that a pro wins means $10,000 will be donated to the charity of their choice. The pros who will participate in NBC’s Face the Ace include some of Full Tilt Poker’s top names: Durrrr Challenge participant Patrik Antonius, Andy Bloch, Allen Cunningham, Chris Ferguson, Phil Gordon, Gus Hansen, Jennifer Harman, 2009 World Series of Poker (WSOP) November Nine member Phil Ivey, 2008 WSOP Europe Main Event winner John Juanda, Howard Lederer, Erick Lindgren, Mike Matusow, reigning National Heads-Up Poker Championship victor Huck Seed, Erik Seidel, and Gavin Smith.The show is co-hosted by Ali Nejad and Megan Abrigo, who holds case number six on the hit NBC game show Deal or No Deal, is Face the Ace’s hostess. Nejad gave his take on the caliber of contestants that viewers can expect to see: “The qualification process online is difficult. For these guys to have gotten that far - they’re either the luckiest guys we know or they’re good.” Schirripa added, “Personally, I thought some were pretty good. They didn’t seem intimidated and, if they were, they hid it pretty well.”The show airs on August 1st and August 8th at 9:00pm ET. Then, it airs once per month through January, 2010:August 1st, 2009 – 9:00pm ETAugust 8th, 2009 – 9:00pm ETSeptember 12th, 2009 – 2:00pm ETOctober 31st, 2009 – 3:30pm ETNovember 14th, 2009 – 3:00pm ETDecember 12th, 2009 – 3:00pm ETJanuary 2nd, 2010 – 2:30pm ETThree of the seven episodes have already been filmed, with Schirripa describing the first two primetime broadcasts as opportunities to “test the waters.” When viewers tune in, they’ll witness high-stakes poker and life-changing money on the line. Nejad described what makes Face the Ace resoundingly successful: “There’s no safety net here like there is in other game shows. If you don’t win your match, you lose everything you’ve won. The pressure is really on and this isn’t a cakewalk.”Face the Ace is not NBC’s first venture into the poker world. The massive U.S. network airs Poker After Dark weekly and the National Heads-Up Poker Championship once per year. Meanwhile, qualification for Face the Ace continues on Full Tilt Poker. The site, which serves as a presenting sponsor of the World Poker Tour (WPT) on Fox Sports Net, is holding Round Two Face the Ace qualifiers tonight at 21:15 ET and August 2nd at 21:15 ET. The next Face the Ace Final Qualifier takes place on August 3rd at 21:15 ET. The two former tournaments have a buy-in of 100 Full Tilt Points, while the Final Qualifier boasts a price tag of 2,500.

200,000 or a mill if you beat Phil Ivey - who would risk it?not me i'm afraid even though heads up is about all i playstatistically its worth it if you just go all in pre flop enough but i still wouldn't

200,000 or a mill if you beat Phil Ivey - who would risk it?not me i'm afraid even though heads up is about all i playstatistically its worth it if you just go all in pre flop enough but i still wouldn't
Yeah, no chance I'd go up against half those players in an all or nothing situation. More than half.

You're getting laid 5-1 and then 4-1 and you wouldn't play a HU SNG where the structure for television has to be bad enough to work for TV?I'm just saying, granted I play HU primarily, but I don't think there's a chance in hell i'm worse than a 5-1 dog to ANYONE in an escalating blind SNG.edit: I shoud also note that even after explaining the math to my wife, she still said she would divorce / kill me if I gambled $40k rather than walk away with it at this point in our lives. Never try and use logic against a woman, they're impervious :club:

edit: I shoud also note that even after explaining the math to my wife, she still said she would divorce / kill me if I gambled $40k rather than walk away with it at this point in our lives. Never try and use logic against a woman, they're impervious :club:
Is that the right math?Don't you have to factor in how $X would affect your financial situation? If you were $200,000 in debt, would you still risk the $200,000 to win $1m just because the math works?Note: I'm actually asking, not just trying to make a point. The above might be why I don't gamble much.

Obviously it depends on the person's individual financial situation, but i'm only 26. My only debt is a mortgage on our house that we live in comfortably while still contributing to retirement accounts, etc. Obviously if I won $40k and someone said "would you like to flip a coin double or nothing" i'd slap them and go cash my check, but I think the upside of $130k post tax and how that would change my life is far more significant than $26k. 26k would be a new car for my wife and a nice vacation. $130k would mean I could take a year off of work to help her raise our son and make a more focused effort into transitioning to playing full time. I don't know that I could even quantify how happy I would be to not have to be an accountant for even a year and get to spend all that extra time with my wife and experience my son's first year that much more. I definitely know it would be worth risking $26k I am not in dire need of. I think the more important decision point would be risking the 130k for 650k because I personally would be giving up what I just talked about for just an expanded ability to do the same thing more comfortably. It would also depend very heavily on if I knew who I was playing in the third round. I'd snap call obviously if I pulled phil gordon or matusow but would snap fold ivey or antonious. I think / hope that someone with 20k+ in credit card / other consumer debt (not implying that's you obviously) wouldn't go this same route, so I understand your point.

Door #1 means your wife gets a new car or nice vacation.Door #2 means you stay home with her for a year.She would rather kill you than risk door #1 for door #2.How's that logic work for you?

Door #1 means your wife gets a new car or nice vacation.Door #2 means you stay home with her for a year.She would rather kill you than risk door #1 for door #2.How's that logic work for you?
She's thinking about it as "you would seriously consider losing FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLARS?!?!" Which is a perfectly acceptable gut reaction for a non poker playing female who doesn't deal with any big picture finances. well played though :club:

I've hated Ali Nejad ever since the 1st Protege tourney. Nothing has changed.

Funny how the thread in OT is mostly about the strategy, while the thread in GenPo is all about how good/bad the show is. Well, not funny but interesting in a silent chuckle to myself kind of way.

I haven't seen the show or anything about it till this thread but I have a question. Itsounds like FTP is advertised heavily in this and the people qualify online in what I assumeis a freeroll of some sort. It's still apparent that people are playing online yet NBC doesn't seemed fazed by any repurcussion from the US gov. I'd say this is basically a good thing for online poker and the American public.