The Pet Info Thread

Common Causes of Acute Liver Failure in Dogs-acetaminophen-wild mushrooms (particularly amanitas)-blue-green algae-alfalatoxin (from dog food made with moldy corn)-xylitol (artificial sweetener)-sago palm plants-leadToday I spend a few hours learning about and treating a 12 week old Westie dying from the mushroom toxicity...thought I should throw this up for the dog owners here. Watch out for the crap above, in addition to all the other stuff that can be toxic to pets (onions, grapes/raisins, other plants, etc.).

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

Common Causes of Acute Liver Failure in Dogs-acetaminophen-wild mushrooms (particularly amanitas)-blue-green algae-alfalatoxin (from dog food made with moldy corn)-xylitol (artificial sweetener)-sago palm plants-leadToday I spend a few hours learning about and treating a 12 week old Westie dying from the mushroom toxicity...thought I should throw this up for the dog owners here. Watch out for the crap above, in addition to all the other stuff that can be toxic to pets (onions, grapes/raisins, other plants, etc.).
Onions? Like what happens if I am eating a coney dog and one of the onions falls to the floor and my vacuum cat eats it?
Onions? Like what happens if I am eating a coney dog and one of the onions falls to the floor and my vacuum cat eats it?
Probably nothing if it's just a bit, but you might want to avoid that just in case.

Anyone know of a strong, trustworthy dog collar? Shasta just broke her 2nd collar (admittedly, the first was just the one from the shelter) and I spent 40 minutes looking for her this morning. We live on a highway, so I really don't want to take my chances. But every collar maker makes the same claims, so I was wondering if there was any particular one you trust. She's only 55lbs, but strong like bull.

An update on my pups...Bella the Pitbull continues to develop into a great dog. She is obedient and sweet natured. Only "issue" is she has started pooping in the house occasionally. When she does this it is usually what I'd call a "distressed" stool. Huge and soft. She tends to eat all forms of crap in the yard: grass, bunny poop, other poop, dirt, mulch, sticks... So her in home poop seems to be an "emergency" rather than a bad habit.Fozzie the Pit Mix is a good boy. He is the only dog allowed on the bed and he enjoys snuggling with Ms RAC. He is teaching Bella how to play and has gotten her into good shape. He has always been sort of a natural athlete - strong with great moves and instincts. He loves having a solid playmate. Fargo has always been too fragile for him to go full speed in their play.My good friend Fargo is starting to decline again. Earlier in the Year I wrote about her digestive system falling apart. That was only temporary and now she is healthy again in that respect. However physically she is just not doing well. Her back legs continue to lose strength and she finds it difficult to go down stairs and navigate the hardwood floors. She often panics and winds up peeing all over. She is largely not in control of her pooping and she will go at random times, usually while she is walking or sleeping. Her spirits are good and she still snaps playfully at us and the other dogs. The vet tells me that he doesn't think she is in any pain, and that is my primary criterion regarding her health. Even so, if her quality of life continues to decline we will need to make the right decision for her. Not looking forward to that day.

So, my cats love to jump in the shower after I'm done. I don't think this is uncommon, but they love nothing more than licking the walls, bathtub floor or shower curtain when it is damp/dripping. My shower does not get peed in, nor is it used for any unusual (fecal?) sex play. In case you were wondering.Is this a potential issue? Seems like the water is clean enough that there shouldn't be, though it is a little disconcerting that they want that water, even when the water in their bowl is clean, cold, etc.

Is this a potential issue? Seems like the water is clean enough that there shouldn't be, though it is a little disconcerting that they want that water, even when the water in their bowl is clean, cold, etc.
This is pure speculation, but I'd be a little worried about the soap and shampoo residue.
Is this a potential issue? Seems like the water is clean enough that there shouldn't be, though it is a little disconcerting that they want that water, even when the water in their bowl is clean, cold, etc.
You're right, this is pretty normal. Cats are weird (or it could be argued that other animals are weird for not being particular in this way) about having fresh water, which is why they tend to like running faucets, showers, and those little pet fountains. It's nothing to worry about, except:
I'd be a little worried about the soap and shampoo residue.
So just make sure the tub is well rinsed out after you're done, and give it a good scrubbing fairly regularly. I have to do the same thing.

How does a dog change a light bulb????Golden Retriever The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out light bulb??? Border Collie Just one. And I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code. Dachshund I can't reach the stupid lamp! Toy Poodle I'll just blow in the Border collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.Rottweiler Go Ahead! Make me!Shi-tzu Puh-leeze, dah-ling. Let the servants...Labrador Retriever (Lab) Oh, me, me!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I?? (see also old English sheepdog)Malamute Let the Border collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy. Cocker Spaniel Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.Doberman Pinscher While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.Mastiff Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.Hound Dog ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Chihuahua Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Irish Wolfhound Can somebody else do it? I've got a hangover.Pointer I see it, there it is, right there...Greyhound It isn't moving. Who cares?Australian Shepherd Put all the light bulbs in a little circle...Old English Sheep Dog Light bulb? Light bulb? That thing I just ate was a light bulb?

You're right, this is pretty normal. Cats are weird (or it could be argued that other animals are weird for not being particular in this way) about having fresh water, which is why they tend to like running faucets, showers, and those little pet fountains. It's nothing to worry about, except:So just make sure the tub is well rinsed out after you're done, and give it a good scrubbing fairly regularly. I have to do the same thing.
Will (continue to) do, thanks.
  • 2 months later...

I have a 15 month old Shih tzu female. I believe she got a laceration in the center of her eye from my sisters cat while visiting Christmas day.on the drive back home yesterday she slept all the way home and was real lethargic. I was driving and just put it off to having a busy day and she was tired.once i got home i did a visual inspection and noticed her left eye was barely open. long story short .... i called the emergency # for my vet and at 1am i took her in to get checked. he confirmed the laceration and gave her some antibiotics and pain killer. sent me home with Tobramycin drops and Previcox pills.woke up this morning and she had big time eye boogers in her hurt eye. washed it out with water since she wasnt letting me near her with a washcloth.cleaned it up and eye dropped her. checked her about an hour later and it looks like her eye is real cloudy. (kinda weird looking)was wanting to know if this eye will heal properly and will sight be normal. i know these are question for the vet but it was one a.m. and didnt think to ask at the time .....

Eyes tend to heal themselves very well, but unfortunately it's hard to say. A laceration like that is very unlikely to make the eye completely blind, but it could certainly permanently hinder her vision to some extent. The good news is that even if it does have a long lasting effect, neither you nor your dog will really notice it. Full vision in one eye and part vision in the other is more than enough for a dog to lead a completely normal life. Honestly, even if something went wrong and she lost the eye (very unlikely), it still wouldn't be something that would really decrease her quality of life.

that is comforting to know . thanks for taking the time and giving me the input. never thought i would care about an animal (so much)but it is what it is ...i go in tomorrow to pay the gigantic late night bill so will probably bring her with me for a follow up. her eye looks pretty damn scary right now ... thanks speedzzzzzzzz , needed that

• 2 weeks later...