The Pet Info Thread

Well. The ones in the nest are pretty easy, even for my boy. But he is pretty good at getting even the adults and adolescents in the open areas. We have a wrought iron fence with gaps between slats and below the fence plenty big for a Bunny to run thru at a full sprint. I just think we've got extraordinarily stupid Bunnies around here.Early one evening a few years ago, I was having a glass of wine under the Magnolia tree near the fence. The sidewalk runs along the fence line. My Boy Pitmix was at my feet eagerly tearing apart a stuffed bunny. He enthusiastically tossed white polyester filler everywhere. A woman was pushing a baby carriage towards us. As she came laong side she stopped with an audible *gasp* and her hand flew to her face. "Oh, my god! I thought that was a real rabbit!!"...pause...I just looked at her. What kind of monster does she think I am to sit calmly sipping a glass of wine while my Pitbull tears apart a bunny at my feet? Does she think I keep a little cooler of fresh bunnies - tossing them to him as he tears thru them? I finally said: "No. It isn't real. He's a Pitbull. They prefer babies."
I like your response.I think my surprise has to do with bunnies making nests near your house/backyard. With my outside cats who hunted, it was a rarity to find a rabbit on our four acres, let alone next to the house where a slow dog (mine) could get to him. My brother's chocolate lab is really good at smelling the rabbits and chasing them out of their dens, but as soon as the chase is on, the rabbit makes the dog look totally inept. Probably the opposite of what your dogs would do to a small animal.
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

The third Bunny wasn't dead and despite a bit of a tear in his coat seemed to be in fair shape. His legs seemed to be working fine. I didn't have the heart to smash him with my shovel. We gathered up some of the nest material and put him in a box on the porch. I figured if he survived thru the day I'd try and find someone interested in trying to nurse him along - or someone who has a snake. When I got home from work he was burrowed all the way to the bottom of the nest and was still very much alive. Our vet (the same one that took my baby bird a few weeks ago) let us drop him off. Little guy was pretty cute.

The third Bunny wasn't dead and despite a bit of a tear in his coat seemed to be in fair shape. His legs seemed to be working fine. I didn't have the heart to smash him with my shovel. We gathered up some of the nest material and put him in a box on the porch. I figured if he survived thru the day I'd try and find someone interested in trying to nurse him along - or someone who has a snake. When I got home from work he was burrowed all the way to the bottom of the nest and was still very much alive. Our vet (the same one that took my baby bird a few weeks ago) let us drop him off. Little guy was pretty cute.
Yesterday Bela the Pitbull figured out where the Great Bunny Burial Ground was located and she snacked on a several day old carcass.Yuk!
Yesterday Bela the Pitbull figured out where the Great Bunny Burial Ground was located and she snacked on a several day old carcass.Yuk!
I grew up on 4 acres, and we had animals. Ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits. They were kept in open pens, and several times a year we would find dead animals. We had to dig 4ft down and put large rocks above the bodies, to keep out the local dogs and coyotes. Good thing they weren't several weeks into decay.
Dear PetInfo2,You don't really need to wash a cat, do you?Unsure,JoeyJoJo
JoeyJoJo,Thank you for writing. No, you don't really need to wash a typical cat. Sometimes grooming is necessary in the case of fat, old, or just very lazy long-haired cats because their hair can get very matted to the point where it's painful for them and an eyesore for their owners. I think the only real excuse for bathing a short-haired cat would be in case of a skunk spraying (or other smellifying incident), allergies (feline or human), or I suppose for the purpose of a cat show. One thing that video proves, after a bit of youtube browsing, is that it's almost difficult to film and post a cat video without it ending up with tens, or usually hundreds, of thousands of hits.Take 'er easy, I know that you will,PetInfo2
Yesterday Bela the Pitbull figured out where the Great Bunny Burial Ground was located and she snacked on a several day old carcass.
I'm assuming you know to watch her closely for the next few days, and to permanently relocate the burial grounds to somewhere off-campus?
How is that not animal abuse?
I'm not sure if there are any documented cases of animal abuse that involve only mental abuse. Physically, that's not hurting the animal. It's just scaring the shit out of it. I guess it should be illegal, but it opens up a whole slew of very subjective issues.
I'm assuming you know to watch her closely for the next few days, and to permanently relocate the burial grounds to somewhere off-campus?
Yes to both. A little over 24 hours later and she hasn't shown any ill effects other than an "extra" bowel movement this morning. The first one in the AM was normal, the second an hour later was pretty nasty. Her stool this afternoon was normal.Pretty stupid of me to think she wouldn't find that carcass eventually.
Yes to both. A little over 24 hours later and she hasn't shown any ill effects other than an "extra" bowel movement this morning. The first one in the AM was normal, the second an hour later was pretty nasty. Her stool this afternoon was normal.Pretty stupid of me to think she wouldn't find that carcass eventually.
We started saving newspaper plastic bags for animal corpses/trophies, and just started throwing them away. Not worth the effort.
We started saving newspaper plastic bags for animal corpses/trophies, and just started throwing them away. Not worth the effort.
I know it sounds a little silly, but I sort of liked the idea of burying the little guys in the only yard they ever knew......until my Pitbulls ate them.

Went to the local shelter today to maybe get our puggle a playmate. I'd say out of 20-24 dogs that were there a good 16 of them were pit or pit mixes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we've come to terms that it's not fair for my dog to suffer any longer. She's not even 6 yet but her allergies/skin disorder has just taken over her body. Her meds & food do nothing for her and she's been wearing a cone for the past month almost exclusively. For the couple hours a day it's off she's removed most of the fur off her legs, and bleeds from either biting or scratching. Even with her cone on she'll scratch her shoulders with her hind legs for 10min intervals. She'll be put to rest later this afternoon :club:nolacone2.jpg

We have a bunch of new baby chipmunks running around the yard today (I've counted 5 at a glance). And Shasta can't stand not to be able to chase them. As cute as it is to watch her whine, bark, and chase, it does make me wish we had a fenced-in yard so she could chase them This is going to be a rough week for her.

That was easily the hardest emotional thing I've ever done. She past away in my arms @ 4:30. Don't think I could ever own another pet.
I'm so sorry.

Sorry Gov. It's hard but later you will be glad you were able to be there, to see her through.

Sorry man.Look at it as an honor to be the human in the relationship and doing the most difficult thing you can to pay her back for being a good friend.I've helped make my boy be a better dog, and he's made me a better human.People who care make better owners, you owe it to her to share that with another dog when you're ready.

I watched Marley & Me again today (I used to have a yellow lab who did everything Marley did. And I'm a quee-ah, obviously). Shasta and I are gonna go through a ton together. Thinking about having to put her down in the distant future was tough to imagine. In 3 months I've seemingly fallen in love with her.It's unpopular, but I'd rather have a rowdy and unruly dog than a soldier. I love that she jumps in my arms when I've come home from work and goes a little crazy running around the house late at night, even if it's all undesirable when we have people over. Maybe I'm still a little immature myself.This Big Daddy quote seemed kinda appropriate: "I'll tell you what, do what you wanna do. And I'll teach you some cool stuff along the way."As an(other) aside, she loves to bury her head in my chest and then lay down next to me to sleep. And when I pick up a paper towel that she's taken from the trash, her tail goes between her legs like she's being telepathically scolded. I love both of those things.

I never thought I'd be posting in here...I found a kitten yesterday, obviously dumped by some barely human neighbor of mine. The kitten was probably less than a week old, eyes barely open, and had trouble standing. I found him below the mail boxes of my complex, in a mail carton filled with newspaper flyers and a tiny little bottle next to him. There are a lot of kids that play (unsupervised) in this area, so I knew I couldn't leave him where he was.So I brought him up to my place (my husband and I are both miserably allergic to cats) and tried to figure out what to do. I was really worried about the kitten surviving the night--I think he was way too young to be separated from mom. We hemmed and hawed, helped him feed a little, and named him Hoffa. Then we called animal control, who came right over, and we fussily handed over Hoffa, with some donated towels. This morning I threw a couple of bucks to that humane society chapter, who came right over on Labor Day (I would have dropped off the kitten at a no-kill, but I couldn't find one that was open, or that was accepting pets, and I was really, really worried about Hoffa dying on my watch.)I'm an adult. I know I probably signed his death warrant. I did the best I could for him, and I swear, if I wasn't so allergic I would have kept him. If I had left him outside, kids, nature, or general exposure would have gotten him.