The Pet Info Thread

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

Update - as per Speedz' insistance, I was finally able to get my female cat an appointment for a spay. For anyone interested (why would anyone be interested?), she had a health problem when she was younger and it was recommended we did not get it done when she was a kitten.Health has been fine for a while now. She is still somewhat of a risk, as she is a small cat, and the growth near her throat is still there. Does not seem to be affecting her though, so I think we're going ahead.She gets it next Wednesday. I'll be really sad if she gets fat and lazy like my other cat. Right now she has more personality than I've ever seen in a cat.

I was going to post pictures as an introduction to my dog Shasta, but they're only on Facebook and I'm too lazy to sign up for a photobucket/etc. account to do so. Sorry.Anyway, Shasta's a 13 month old husky mix that I adopted from the pound about 2 months ago. I've been working with her to train commands, and enrolled her in obedience training which just started Monday. Problem is, for the last 3-4 weeks whenever she wants to play, she only wants to play rough...using my forearm or hand as a chew toy. She has a tug-of-war rope, kong, and other toys, but she shuns them for my limbs. Not getting what she wants, she barks. Then, when I pull away (when sitting) or turn away (when standing), she nips at any body part or loose piece of clothing on my body.When this started, I thought she just needed more exercise. But, now it's started happening almost immediately after she's been out for a run/walk. I asked the behaviorist, and she demonstrated the turn-away technique, not really accepting the statement that I've been using it for weeks. Any ideas or tips on how to stop this? I'm going to keep bugging the behaviorist, but it's only a once-a-week class. Figured maybe you guys would have some ideas.
Never play with him by letting him have a towel or rope or toy in his mouth and you holding it as well. You know how people like to swing their dogs around while they're holding it? Yeah, that. Don't.As you learn commands and he adjusts you can simply make him sit. Youcan do this now and if he tries to jump stand on the leash. If the leash doesn't seem to affect him, get a chain choker leash for the mean time.
She gets it next Wednesday. I'll be really sad if she gets fat and lazy like my other cat. Right now she has more personality than I've ever seen in a cat.
A few bits and pieces of her personality could definitely be hormone related (like, you confusing "fuck me" behavior for "pet me" behavior), but hopefully she won't change much, if at all.
A few bits and pieces of her personality could definitely be hormone related (like, you confusing "fuck me" behavior for "pet me" behavior), but hopefully she won't change much, if at all.
Are you implying that I sex my cat?
Update - as per Speedz' insistance, I was finally able to get my female cat an appointment for a spay.
You know, I don't remember this happening, and I can't find it anywhere. It's not that I think it's impossible, but can your refresh my memory and show where I insisted she get spayed? My only memory of it is you always saying "she can't get spayed yet, trust me, that's what my vet said" and I let it go.
I'm implying that your cat wants you to sex her. I have no idea what you do about it.
Come on, you have some idea.
You know, I don't remember this happening, and I can't find it anywhere. It's not that I think it's impossible, but can your refresh my memory and show where I insisted she get spayed? My only memory of it is you always saying "she can't get spayed yet, trust me, that's what my vet said" and I let it go.
I'm far too lazy to look. Ok, I lied, and just did look. It was actually LG who posted some stolen information about potential problems from non-spayage. You didn't jump in and call her an ignorant twat, so I assume you at least didn't strongly disagree.
Ok, I lied, and just did look. It was actually LG who posted some stolen information about potential problems from non-spayage. You didn't jump in and call her an ignorant twat, so I assume you at least didn't strongly disagree.
I certainly agree with her that all pet cats should be spayed or neutered, but I'd never recommend it against your vet's recommendation not to due to underlying health issues, which is why I wanted to double check when it sounded as if I might have pressured you. Not a big deal.

I am in Costa Rica for a vacation. Great, beautiful place, but I am saddened by the large numbers of Stray Dogs. They are mostly well treated - just neglected. They seem gentle and with sweet natures. Not the packs of dangerous dogs you might see in Detroit. We took a side trip into Nicaragua and it was even worse. I also witnessed horses pulling carts and the poor animals were undernourished to a sickening extreme. Their ribs and hip bones were sticking out.However we also saw a cool vaccination/spay/neuter (free?) event with several dozen dog owners lined up to get their dogs some attention. All of those animals looked well tended.

However we also saw a cool vaccination/spay/neuter (free?) event with several dozen dog owners lined up to get their dogs some attention. All of those animals looked well tended.
I've done one of those in Honduras, and a vet school buddy of mine is doing one in Costa Rica soon...I think later this month. You don't have to be a vet or work in an animal hospital to volunteer for them.www.worldvets.org

I wonder how fast expedia was able to book Vonteego's vacation to Costa Rica?Hey Speedz, my mom took the cat to a different Vet, pulled the tooth right there, no anesthesia, $48. Sent them home.

Hey Speedz, my mom took the cat to a different Vet, pulled the tooth right there, no anesthesia, $48. Sent them home.
It must have really been almost completely rotted away. I've seen that a few times, it's always fun to watch the client react to the vet just yanking out a tooth with his or her bare hands.
  • 3 weeks later...
Then good luck to you, and come on back once you're comfortable just ignoring them and we'll talk next step.
Only had two occassions to "practice". Saw them (two 3 yr old black labs) around mail box and just walked out to get the mail and retrive the can. The quieter one came to me head down. I just had my hand down and basically chilled while he took a quick sniff and sautered off. THe other one then decides to start barking, and pretty much followed me back to the garage. I then walked out of the garage and stood in the yard, generally, trying to look disniterested, occassionally walking towards barkng dog. She would move away and then come back once I retrieved. THe male more behave one, just walks around and sniffs stuff. I decided to not continue the dominance game, and gave her the victory, and at least felt more confident around themOn another day they met me coming home from work. They gave me space to get out; but soon after departing, the girl starts barking again. I just walked in. Lately thwy seem to spend more time inside because its so hot. I hope they contniue to get sufficent exercise and dont end up anxious and undisciplined and full grown. Aside from that, I think I'll be ok.

Any advice on getting dog urine smell out of a carpet? I've tried carpet cleaner spray, baking soda, and a vacuum so far. The only google suggestion left is water+vinegar, so I was hoping you guys had some other suggestions.

Any advice on getting dog urine smell out of a carpet? I've tried carpet cleaner spray, baking soda, and a vacuum so far. The only google suggestion left is water+vinegar, so I was hoping you guys had some other suggestions.
If it's through to the padding, you may have to replace the damaged padding.

Whoops...turns out it wasn't the dog, it was a leaking air conditioner. She got to watch me tear out the entire carpet in my room, cause the leak had soaked a good portion of it.

I wonder how fast expedia was able to book Vonteego's vacation to Costa Rica?Hey Speedz, my mom took the cat to a different Vet, pulled the tooth right there, no anesthesia, $48. Sent them home.
Sounds just like San Antonio, why would I need to go to Costa Rica? And, we already do a free spay/neuter event every other month, and we fix/vaccinate/microchip 170+ animals in one day.
Sounds just like San Antonio, why would I need to go to Costa Rica?
As bad as San Antonio might be, I'm guessing it doesn't compare to Costa Rica/Nicaragua. ...not to detract from your efforts. Keep up the good work wherever you can.
Speedz I'm sure you've covered this before but whats your/most vets views on Cesar Milan? I was reading some criticism of him lately and I think I remember vonteego a while ago trashing him.
I definitely can't speak for most vets, and I'm not a behavior expert, but I can give you my fairly uneducated opinion on Milan. I think he's very good at exactly waht he does on the show...taking dogs that misbehave and turning them into obediant pets by breaking bad habits. There are many ways to train a dog, especially when doing it from scratch, and I think there are methods that are more positive for both the owner and the dog. Also, the average dog owner just isn't capable of doing it Milan's way, so it's kind of pointless to even try when there are easier (and similarly productive) ways to go. That said, if someone wanted to go with his method I certainly wouldn't discourage them all that much.

Bad Day to be a BunnyMost mornings Ms RAC is first up and therefore responsible for AM Dog Control. She let the hounds out for the usual while she prepared their breakfast. As she stuck her head out the back door to bring them in, she heard the telltale squeak of a Bunny being broken. Followed immediately by two more similar sounds of expiration. She could see Fozzie the Pitmix with the third rodent still in his mouth. She told him to drop it, and he did and then came to her - proudly wagging his tail. At this point, she fed the mutts and came upstairs to alert me for a "Bunny Clean-up in Aisle Ten".I went outside to survey the carnage. Fozzie had discovered a nest. The Dumb Bunny had built her hutch in the yard near the air-conditioner units. One of the more highly traveled dog areas. Of course who knows how long the nest had been there before the dog finally found it? There was Bunny Nest material strewn around randomly and three little carcasses scattered near-by. Two were DOA. The third was still alive, but with a good sized rip in his fur. They were about three inches long with full fur, but eyes still shut.I buried them in the usual Wild Kingdom Cemetery part of my backyard. These were Bunnies 3, 4, and 5 so far this year and they joined several birds and a squirrel found deceased of unknown causes. (The birds were discovered dead and waterlogged in my fountain and I think the drowned in there)

Bad Day to be a BunnyMost mornings Ms RAC is first up and therefore responsible for AM Dog Control. She let the hounds out for the usual while she prepared their breakfast. As she stuck her head out the back door to bring them in, she heard the telltale squeak of a Bunny being broken. Followed immediately by two more similar sounds of expiration. She could see Fozzie the Pitmix with the third rodent still in his mouth. She told him to drop it, and he did and then came to her - proudly wagging his tail. At this point, she fed the mutts and came upstairs to alert me for a "Bunny Clean-up in Aisle Ten".I went outside to survey the carnage. Fozzie had discovered a nest. The Dumb Bunny had built her hutch in the yard near the air-conditioner units. One of the more highly traveled dog areas. Of course who knows how long the nest had been there before the dog finally found it? There was Bunny Nest material strewn around randomly and three little carcasses scattered near-by. Two were DOA. The third was still alive, but with a good sized rip in his fur. They were about three inches long with full fur, but eyes still shut.I buried them in the usual Wild Kingdom Cemetery part of my backyard. These were Bunnies 3, 4, and 5 so far this year and they joined several birds and a squirrel found deceased of unknown causes. (The birds were discovered dead and waterlogged in my fountain and I think the drowned in there)
I think we're up to three rabbits this year. I have a 6 year old black lab and my gf has a four year old Shiba Inu. My yard has a privacy fence but they can still get in by the gate. It's bad news when they do because as soon as the shiba gets after them they can't seem to remember how to get out.

This is so weird to me. I grew up on 4 acres and had inside and outside cats, and dogs. The dogs were always too stupid to catch the rabbits, and the cats would start bringing 3 rabbits per week around the house as trophies. But they killed anything. Snakes, birds, rabbits, other rodents, etc. We never had a fenced in yard though, I'm sure a rabbit in a fenced in yard with a dog will probably not end well for the rabbit in most cases.

This is so weird to me. I grew up on 4 acres and had inside and outside cats, and dogs. The dogs were always too stupid to catch the rabbits, and the cats would start bringing 3 rabbits per week around the house as trophies. But they killed anything. Snakes, birds, rabbits, other rodents, etc. We never had a fenced in yard though, I'm sure a rabbit in a fenced in yard with a dog will probably not end well for the rabbit in most cases.
Well. The ones in the nest are pretty easy, even for my boy. But he is pretty good at getting even the adults and adolescents in the open areas. We have a wrought iron fence with gaps between slats and below the fence plenty big for a Bunny to run thru at a full sprint. I just think we've got extraordinarily stupid Bunnies around here.Early one evening a few years ago, I was having a glass of wine under the Magnolia tree near the fence. The sidewalk runs along the fence line. My Boy Pitmix was at my feet eagerly tearing apart a stuffed bunny. He enthusiastically tossed white polyester filler everywhere. A woman was pushing a baby carriage towards us. As she came along side she stopped with an audible *gasp* and her hand flew to her face. "Oh, my god! I thought that was a real rabbit!!"...pause...I just looked at her. What kind of monster does she think I am to sit calmly sipping a glass of wine while my Pitbull tears apart a bunny at my feet? Does she think I keep a little cooler of fresh bunnies - tossing them to him as he tears thru them? I finally said: "No. It isn't real. He's a Pitbull. They prefer babies."