The Pet Info Thread

Fargo the Norwegian Elk Hound is doing much better this week. Her intestinal issues have cleared up somewhat. My furry friend will be around for a little longer - I'll use this little reprieve to remind myself of the positive ways she has affected my life.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

My mutt (rough collie/belgian? shepherd mix) seems to have a problem with gagging (he's a gaggy dog sometimes because he pulls and sometimes out of the blue) and throws up more than normal. Sometimes seemingly for no reason at all. This usually resolves with some digestive rest (about a day) and then the introduction of bland foods. Today we did some cheerios (dry) and then a little chicken broth later. He's kept it all down just fine, but I'm wondering what's causing him to get sick in the first place. I'd say we have this issue about every three months for a few days. Do I need to see his vet or will they just tell me to do what I'm doing? I recognize that cheerios aren't really dog food, but Dave tried them today and they seem to stay down. I was going to make rice, but these seem just as bland.

Some vomiting every three months or so wouldn't worry me if that's been the routine for a while. I don't think you need to bother bringing him to the vet just for that, but you could ask the next time you bring him in for a routine physical and vaccines. If it starts happening more often or the spells last longer, I'd bring him to the vet, but it's likely that he just has a slightly sensitive stomach that acts up once in a while. At least likely enough to make it kind of silly to run all kinds of expensive tests on him, since occasional GI upset has about a bazillion differentials (most of which are relatively harmless).Go with boiled chicken & rice instead of the cheerios. It's a pain, but if he has to be on bland food for a few days it's definitely better for him to have some protein in there. You could also pick up a prescription bland diet from your vet, but those are expensive and no better than what you make at home (but easier to deal with). I know the cheerios was a one time thing, but I felt like I had to say that anyway.

Some vomiting every three months or so wouldn't worry me if that's been the routine for a while. I don't think you need to bother bringing him to the vet just for that, but you could ask the next time you bring him in for a routine physical and vaccines. If it starts happening more often or the spells last longer, I'd bring him to the vet, but it's likely that he just has a slightly sensitive stomach that acts up once in a while. At least likely enough to make it kind of silly to run all kinds of expensive tests on him, since occasional GI upset has about a bazillion differentials (most of which are relatively harmless).Go with boiled chicken & rice instead of the cheerios. It's a pain, but if he has to be on bland food for a few days it's definitely better for him to have some protein in there. You could also pick up a prescription bland diet from your vet, but those are expensive and no better than what you make at home (but easier to deal with). I know the cheerios was a one time thing, but I felt like I had to say that anyway.
I can manage boiled chicken and rice. His digestive upset has resolved. I think you're right about the sensitive stomach, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being too flippant.Thanks for the advice.

long time listener, first time caller.Seriously, I'm a pussy - afraid of unfamilar dogs. I'm dreading mowing because the neighbor's neighbor's pair of labs like to run free. They've grown up around lots of children. Aside from the excitable one barking occassionally, they seem balanced enough. But they don't listen to any commands as the owner struggles to round them up as she feigns embarrassment for letting them out once again. What is it about dog owners that think it's perfectly fine to extend their dogs turf to our house?So, basically in my head I say "these dogs are friendly, No Eyes, No Talk, No touch" but my heart and face say "yikes, he might bite" I hinted the other day that it would be good to formerly meet the dogs, stopping short of admitting a fear. Even writing this feels gay. Ok, I feel better. Honetly sometimes I think I'm wired to worry and when life is pretty good, all that worry is channeled into irrational stuff.Any advice on settling my anxiety qround these dogs?I'll hang up and listen

long time listener, first time caller.Seriously, I'm a pussy - afraid of unfamilar dogs. I'm dreading mowing because the neighbor's neighbor's pair of labs like to run free. They've grown up around lots of children. Aside from the excitable one barking occassionally, they seem balanced enough. But they don't listen to any commands as the owner struggles to round them up as she feigns embarrassment for letting them out once again. What is it about dog owners that think it's perfectly fine to extend their dogs turf to our house?So, basically in my head I say "these dogs are friendly, No Eyes, No Talk, No touch" but my heart and face say "yikes, he might bite" I hinted the other day that it would be good to formerly meet the dogs, stopping short of admitting a fear. Even writing this feels gay. Ok, I feel better. Honetly sometimes I think I'm wired to worry and when life is pretty good, all that worry is channeled into irrational stuff.Any advice on settling my anxiety qround these dogs?I'll hang up and listen
Also, I can't resist answering this since its really a psychology question and not a pet question. The answer is exposure. You just have to habituate to the feelings that come with the anxiety. Spend time around the dogs whenever you can. If you have to do it incrementally thats fine - be near them, then eventually touch and pet them. Biggest thing is not to avoid due to the anxious feelings. Experience the anxious feelings, examine them even. Just don't avoid them.
I hinted the other day that it would be good to formerly meet the dogs, stopping short of admitting a fear.
Well, if it helps, the only things those labs want to do to you is maybe lick your face while you pet them. But you probably already know that, intellectually.The best thing to do would be do tell your neighbor that you're afraid of dogs (make up something about being bitten by one when you were a kid) and ask if you can come meet them while they're on leashes so you can get comfortable with them. Spend some time with them, give them treats, etc. Always have treats in your pockets when you're in your front yard so they'll get used to coming over to you and following your orders (make them sit to get their treats). You might always be a little wary around unfamiliar dogs, but there's no reason why you can't be relaxed around dogs that you know to be friendly.Or do some variation of the above that you're comfortable with. The worst, and easiest, choice is to just keep going through the anxiety and embarrassment of being afraid of something for no good reason.
Well, if it helps, the only things those labs want to do to you is maybe lick your face while you pet them. But you probably already know that, intellectually.The best thing to do would be do tell your neighbor that you're afraid of dogs (make up something about being bitten by one when you were a kid) and ask if you can come meet them while they're on leashes so you can get comfortable with them. Spend some time with them, give them treats, etc. Always have treats in your pockets when you're in your front yard so they'll get used to coming over to you and following your orders (make them sit to get their treats). You might always be a little wary around unfamiliar dogs, but there's no reason why you can't be relaxed around dogs that you know to be friendly.Or do some variation of the above that you're comfortable with. The worst, and easiest, choice is to just keep going through the anxiety and embarrassment of being afraid of something for no good reason.
I recommend this as a normal practice.

The facing up to fears makes sense. Heck, I used to deliver pizza and wait tables. This coming from a shy person who is afraid of dogs and pretty much everything. But 1:00 in the morning I was going to strang homes every night. I do this with regards to Wasp Nests, surveying the deck/house frequently, or going under the house regularly to minimize the anxiety that builds when I avoid.alright, thanks for confirming. I don't think I'll be feeding the dogs though. More likely, I'll work towards presenting a confdent, comfortable demeanor, generally ignoring them.

I recommend this as a normal practice.
Weak. I typically recommend running towards unfamiliar dogs, immediately putting your hand over their heads to initiate petting, and sticking your face in theirs to show them that you just want to love them.
alright, thanks for confirming. I don't think I'll be feeding the dogs though. More likely, I'll work towards presenting a confdent, comfortable demeanor, generally ignoring them.
So...you're going to do the same thing you've been doing, but while trying to be less terrified during the encounters. Obviously I'm biased, but you really might want to consider actually trying hard to get over the fear and actively enjoy dogs. Easy for me to say, I know.
So...you're going to do the same thing you've been doing, but while trying to be less terrified during the encounters. Obviously I'm biased, but you really might want to consider actually trying hard to get over the fear and actively enjoy dogs. Easy for me to say, I know.
Currently I actively avoid them. Ignoring them is progress
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a baby bird this morning. Bella hasn't been feeling well and so I was with her in the yard just monitoring her morning "output". The other day we'd noticed a nest with a little family living in our Magnolia tree. A pretty severe storm rolled through overnight and I thought I'd check on the little aviators. On the ground under the nest there was a little nestling - still with his pinfeathers - lying motionless. The storm must have somehow knocked him out of his nest. At first I thought he was dead, but then he fluttered a little. I could see that the nest was intact with his siblings and mother about 10 feet above the ground. There was no way I could get him home. I'd read that birds don't generally have a good sense of smell - it is a bit of an urban myth that touching baby birds will cause the parents to abandon them due to your smell. I also read that the parents will only tend to them out of the nest if the entire nest was destroyed - they will not tend to multiple locations. Plus I worried about the dogs finding and breaking him.So I picked the little guy up. He was cold. Very cold. And wet. And still nearly motionless. I expected him to take his final breath any moment. His eyes were shut.I warmed him in my hands for about an hour. After time he started to rustle around and chirp a little. Finally he stretched out his neck and opened his mouth to be fed. I whistled for the dogs and he answered with a series of chirps. I was already late for work and didn't really have the time to figure out how to feed the little guy. I called a local vet who I know does some rehab work, but they said they only handle Raptors. Snobs. I was seriously doubting the little guy was going to be able to make it, but hate to give up. I considered asking if they had anyone with a snake - I figured waste not......but I decided to go to my vet and see if they wanted a challenge. When I got there I asked them if they had anyone who might want to try and help the little guy beat the odds. They said one of the "girls" working at the vet had just successfully nursed 10 starlings and released them a couple of days ago. They figured she might be able to find the time to help one little Robin.So I feel pretty good this morning.Oh... Fargo, Fozzie, and Bella are all doing well.

Nice work.In my nape of the woods...neck of the wape...where I'm from, starlings are the only birds that rehab places won't touch. They're not native here and they fuck up our shit, so we let them die. Robins we like, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Dog update.Fargo the Norwegian Elkhound is doing quite well. Like any 90 year old woman, she has good & bad days. But mostly she is just slow and takes a little patience. Her attitude is still good and she sleeps about 22 hours a day in front of her own personal fan.Fozzie the Pit Mix is loving having Bella around. He finally gets to play hard. He has decided that the Jeep is his personal dog house. Yesterday he spent most of the day hanging out in the Jeep while I worked in the yard. Bella the Pitbull is just a great dog. This week she enters week number 15 of 16 weeks of rehabilitation from her second surgery. She walks and plays without a limp for the most part. She is a little slow going up stairs and sometimes by the end of the day will show a little bit of favor to her right leg. Those days she gets a half of a Rimadyl. I try to limit the amount of Rimadyl she takes. Literally every day more of her personality comes out. I am loving being able to watch her develop and just be a dog. She likes to punch people and dogs with her muzzle when she is feeling playful. She has also started "talking" when she wants attention. Not actually barking, but noises that I honestly she believes is the same thing as humans talking. Pretty cute actually.I've increased the amount and intensity of play that I allow between Fozzie & Bella. When it gets too extreme (jumping over each other or grabbing too hard) I separate them and let them cool down.I am constantly amazed by people's reactions when they learn Bella is a Pitbull. One minute the same people that were complimenting me on my beautiful well behaved dog and petting her through the fence suddenly take a step back and turn cold on hearing the word "Pitbull". Not long ago we had a large party. One of the caterers fell in love immediately with Bella. My wife told her that Bella was an American Staffodshire Terrier. Later, near the end of the party I brought the dogs back out to socialize with the few remaining guests. The caterer was again petting Bella. She heard me comment to someone about her being a Pitbull. The woman was shocked. She said: "Your wife said she was some sort of Terrier". I said: "Yeah, American Staffordshire, that is what a Pitbull is." She said: "Well I learned something tonight. I'm so glad I didn't know she was a Pitbulll, I would have never been as comfortable with her."Sorry. I could go on all day about this dog. I love all of our mutts, but have really bonded with Bella.

She said: "Well I learned something tonight. I'm so glad I didn't know she was a Pitbulll, I would have never been as comfortable with her."
I love shit like this...glad you converted someone into realizing pitbulls aren't all evil killing machines.

I was going to post pictures as an introduction to my dog Shasta, but they're only on Facebook and I'm too lazy to sign up for a photobucket/etc. account to do so. Sorry.Anyway, Shasta's a 13 month old husky mix that I adopted from the pound about 2 months ago. I've been working with her to train commands, and enrolled her in obedience training which just started Monday. Problem is, for the last 3-4 weeks whenever she wants to play, she only wants to play rough...using my forearm or hand as a chew toy. She has a tug-of-war rope, kong, and other toys, but she shuns them for my limbs. Not getting what she wants, she barks. Then, when I pull away (when sitting) or turn away (when standing), she nips at any body part or loose piece of clothing on my body.When this started, I thought she just needed more exercise. But, now it's started happening almost immediately after she's been out for a run/walk. I asked the behaviorist, and she demonstrated the turn-away technique, not really accepting the statement that I've been using it for weeks. Any ideas or tips on how to stop this? I'm going to keep bugging the behaviorist, but it's only a once-a-week class. Figured maybe you guys would have some ideas.

I had a husky for 17 years, and the only problems I ever had were shedding/heat in the early summer and attempting to deal with multiple problems associated with it's high energy.My parents have several acres, and finally we had to put him outside on a dog run about 100 feet long, so he could run around and dig holes and do other dog stuff. If he didn't have a rawhide or cow bone or something to chew on, he would chew the wood on his dog house. It was absurd. I'm not really sure what I'm saying.

Hey Speedz.My moms cat is older prob 12ish. One of its teeth has gotten infected and is half falling out. The vet charged her $240 to look at it, then sent her home with no pain meds or antibiotics and scheduled a surgery for 2 weeks out. My mom got home and was upset, called back and got the cat some meds.(This is the same vet hospital we have always gone to, but the owner recently retired and sold it to one of the other vets, so apparently things have changed there)They want to charge my mom over $1,300 to remove the tooth and clean the gums. How can this possibly be this much money? I understand they need to put the cat out to do this, but how much anesthesia does a cat need and how long can that procedure actually take. My mom is going to get a second opinion. Any thoughts?

Hey Speedz.My moms cat is older prob 12ish. One of its teeth has gotten infected and is half falling out. The vet charged her $240 to look at it, then sent her home with no pain meds or antibiotics and scheduled a surgery for 2 weeks out. My mom got home and was upset, called back and got the cat some meds.(This is the same vet hospital we have always gone to, but the owner recently retired and sold it to one of the other vets, so apparently things have changed there)They want to charge my mom over $1,300 to remove the tooth and clean the gums. How can this possibly be this much money? I understand they need to put the cat out to do this, but how much anesthesia does a cat need and how long can that procedure actually take. My mom is going to get a second opinion. Any thoughts?
Maybe cats are WAY different, but to pull a dog's tooth it's only a couple hundred... first and easiest suggestion is to find another vet. Also (and again, I'm speaking of dogs) anesthesia dangerous in older animals... we had a 12 year old dog with an infected tooth, and they told us if they put her under to pull it, there was a pretty decent chance she'd never wake up. But yes, I realize a 12 year old GSD is much older than a 12 year old cat, although I'm not sure what the cutoff line is for what's considered a safe procedure. I'd recommend calling around.
When this started, I thought she just needed more exercise. But, now it's started happening almost immediately after she's been out for a run/walk. I asked the behaviorist, and she demonstrated the turn-away technique, not really accepting the statement that I've been using it for weeks. Any ideas or tips on how to stop this? I'm going to keep bugging the behaviorist, but it's only a once-a-week class. Figured maybe you guys would have some ideas.
Sorry, turning away is the only suggestion I would have had. I'm not particularly helpful with the behavioral stuff.
Any thoughts?
Vonteego covered it pretty well. $240 is way too much just to look at a bad tooth, and $1,300 is ridiculous for that kind of procedure, although it could get up to the $500 range pretty easily. The anesthesia is like any surgery and it can take a while, but again, $1,300 is crazy. She's got the right idea...it's time to find a new vet.Just curious, is that the high range of an estimate or a hard price?
Also (and again, I'm speaking of dogs) anesthesia dangerous in older animals... we had a 12 year old dog with an infected tooth, and they told us if they put her under to pull it, there was a pretty decent chance she'd never wake up. But yes, I realize a 12 year old GSD is much older than a 12 year old cat, although I'm not sure what the cutoff line is for what's considered a safe procedure.
A 12 year old cat is still considered an anesthesia risk, depending on it's general health (specifically cardiac), but when it gets to a certain point there's really no choice. Obviously you can't let teeth rot in an animal's mouth.