The Pet Info Thread

Hi Southern Buddhist, I know a lot about cat diets as it is the subject of my thesis. However, to make an informed diagnosis of your cats' condition, it's necessary to visually inspect them. Please post some photographs of your cats so that I may assess their appearances before giving you my opinion. Thanks, LG.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

I've got a question for you, Speedz. We feed our cats Science Diet Sensitive Stomach dry food. They seem to make a hobby out of puking nevertheless, about a couple of pukes a week each. Is there a different, better food we could give them, or are they doing it for hairballs, or is something wrong? They both (ages 14 and 9) seem to be in good health, have silky fur, good teeth and breath (for a cat), normal litter habits, etc.
Some cats are just pukers, but it'd be a bit of an anomaly to have two pukers. Do they wolf down their food really fast in competition with each other and then vomit mostly undigested nuggets, or does it just happen at random times (with digested food or bile coming out)? Has this been going on for a long time on that same food or was there a recent shift in diet or frequency? With no other information, I'd say to try mixing in some hairball formula food and see what happens. Start out with 3/4 Sensitive, 1/4 Hairball for a week, then move to 1/2 of each and see what happens.Edit: First do what LG says.Edit 2: Have you tried wet food with them? Some cats just seem to do better on wet food. That could be another option to try if the hairball thing doesn't work.

Last post on page 2 is our adorable li'l Peanut, at age two weeks. She's too cute for words.They don't seem to bolt their food all that much, but it usually is undigested nuggets, so maybe they do. There's been no change in their diet for many years (in fact, since Peanut went off kitten food eight years ago), and the puking's not new -- our oldest cat, now dead, did it as well. We have two multi-day feeders. Luckily, neither of them is fat and they only eat when they're hungry, so we have the luxury of leaving food out all the time rather than having to be home at exactly the right time to give them their measured cup's worth. So the food is available at all times.I'll try the Hairball Control. Wet food will be a last resort, because it will stink, can't be left out when we travel, and I've heard it makes the litter much, much nastier.

It only smells if you give them wet food that has grains in them (which is ridiculous in the first place).Good wet food does not contain grains, sugar or any other crap. Just meat and minerals, and nothing else. If you give them that, litterbox will smell even less than it does on kibble.Alternatively you could feed them whole pray animals, like I do, but I don't see you Americans go there yet :rolleyes:Here's my cats munching on chicks:IMG_0329.jpgIMG_0338.jpg\They also get pigeons and quails.

That is one seriously cute cat eusa_verliefd.gif

They don't seem to bolt their food all that much, but it usually is undigested nuggets, so maybe they do. I'll try the Hairball Control. Wet food will be a last resort, because it will stink, can't be left out when we travel, and I've heard it makes the litter much, much nastier.
Yeah, I'm guessing they eat too fast. Some cats, even if free fed, do it. I really wouldn't worry about it other than the mess it makes. And I understand not wanting to do the wet food...it's definitely easier not to, and if your cats are otherwise healthy I don't see much of a reason to change.Let me know how the hairball control goes.
It only smells if you give them wet food that has grains in them (which is ridiculous in the first place). Good wet food does not contain grains, sugar or any other crap. Just meat and minerals, and nothing else. If you give them that, litterbox will smell even less than it does on kibble. Here's my cats munching on chicks: They also get pigeons and quails.
Your cats are pretty fat for being on a carnivorous diet. Or at least the black one is (he's probably a diabetic).
Alternatively you could feed them whole pray animals, like I do, but I don't see you Americans go there yet :club:
IMG_3440.jpg(fyi, it's prey, not pray)

Lol, I knew that, kinda late overhere ;)The black one is very old. She's a little overweight, but most of the belly is just from being old (hanging skin). She's not a diabetic.The kitten isn't overweight either, she's exactly right. Got her weighed at the vet last friday.

Last post on page 2 is our adorable li'l Peanut, at age two weeks. She's too cute for words.(in fact, since Peanut went off kitten food eight years ago)
Well obviously that photo is way too old to judge his medical condition from.
scorpion-spear.pngIt's actually "over here," not "overhere". also, :club: probably better conveys how you're feeling at the moment
I'm wondering if the hidden picture is meant to convey some type of fatal victory but I'm just a mortal so what I know about linguistic combat?
it totally worked on my laptop earlier... must be an anti-hotlinking host.regardless, it was meant to be a joke about scorpion's catch phrase. if you don't know it, I can't help you.
Haha that was one of the finest google image searches I've ever conducted.

This is Big Missy with her new family128qyu.jpgI like to call this Orange fatty take beating from little girlcat100yh.jpgYum ears taste good 107pb.jpgNo question just using your thread to prove that cats >>>>>> dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Not vet stuff I guess but any tips for this one?Dog used to be homeless, is probably around a year old. When hes off the leash he plays with dogs and loves being chased etc. When on a lead, he turns into a beast. Any dog, the minute he spots it hes getting ready for battle. Hes starting to get more out of control and entirely losing it, a shout and a tug would calm him down or at least make him move on. Hes getting worse. I know the whole idea of the dog can feel the owner tense up and therefore tenses up but I was texting in my own world and he attacked a dog walking by. Doesn't matter if its girl or male, he doesn't discriminate, but hes OK with puppies.He's definitely had a rough life and barks and whines his ass off if you leave him outside the shop and spends the whole time sniffing under the door if you go to the toilet.84233183609403916111303.th.jpg

Leash aggression is a relatively common issue. Call your vet's office and get some names of trainers in the area that they recommend. Or do some serious research online and try to train him on your own, but that'll obviously take a lot more effort on your part.I guess that's a really obvious answer ("just train him"), but there's really not much else you can do here. I mean, I could cut & paste leash training methods, but you should do a lot of research to try and find the most accepted method and/or the one that you think you would be most apt to try.

• 1 month later...

My cats continue to be pretty healthy, but I have some concerns.My male cat is getting fat. He isn't huge yet, but obviously will get there if things progress the way they are. Only 18 months old, but we feed him and the female cat from the same dish, so I'm not sure how to put him on a diet.From experience, feeding them from different dishes doesn't work, unless we take drastic steps.I don't think the fatness is affecting him yet. He naps a lot and is generally lethargic...but he's also a cat so I'm not too worried.My female cat had a serious issue with a polyp when she was a kitten. Almost had to be put down, but you may recall we took her to a crazy old bat retired vet who gave her some anti-biotics (instead of surgery, as two other vets recommended) and seem to have solved the problem. The issue now is the growth continues to be there. Not clear whether it is growing. It doesn't seem to be 'live' because it doesn't bother her. We can go as far as to press on the area or squeeze the growth without causing her any discomfort. Figure this means she is fine, but we're concerned the growth isn't going away as we'd expect.Her behaviour does not show any signs of discomfort.So my question is - am I a bad person if I just give them away or kill them, then pick out some new kittens at the shelter? I'm pretty sure I could get away with it...

And new (preferably not cat abandonment-related) questions? Or updates on how pets are doing?
I have an issue, but first here is a recent pic of my girls. dogsoct0945.jpgNesta, the black one, has developed what I believe is called "hot spot", probably as a result of me getting lazy with separating the cords all the way down to the skin. It is an irritated area that also kind of smells bad and was pretty gross when I first discovered it. I cleared the area of hair, and cleaned it off, and I think it is doing better, seems to be maybe scabbing now. I have these antibiotic sort of oxyclean type pads that my dermatologist gave me for my face, I forget exactly what the drug is called, but its a topical antibiotic. Should I use this on her hot spot? Or just leave it to heal on its own? (obviously I'm trying to avoid going to the vet here, as that would mean leaving my house)thanks!
I have an issue, but first here is a recent pic of my girls. dogsoct0945.jpgNesta, the black one, has developed what I believe is called "hot spot", probably as a result of me getting lazy with separating the cords all the way down to the skin. It is an irritated area that also kind of smells bad and was pretty gross when I first discovered it. I cleared the area of hair, and cleaned it off, and I think it is doing better, seems to be maybe scabbing now. I have these antibiotic sort of oxyclean type pads that my dermatologist gave me for my face, I forget exactly what the drug is called, but its a topical antibiotic. Should I use this on her hot spot? Or just leave it to heal on its own? (obviously I'm trying to avoid going to the vet here, as that would mean leaving my house)thanks!
How do you not laugh your head completely off when you drop acid with those dogs in your house?