I like Only the good die young by billy joel, and some of his 70's stuff is okay, but the 80's he got fairly brutal. I'll tell you an 80's song I can't get enough of.. 99 red balloons
Agree (or is it disagree?) with the 99 balloons, I was in West Germany when it came out as 99 Sclhuffballoons or somethin' like that.

I don't understand the hate for that Broken Wings song. I mean, it's not in the top 100 of all time or anything, but it seems pretty un-hateworthy.Oh Ricky, you're so fineYou're so fine you blow my mindHey Ricky.Hey Ricky.Now that's hate material.

I don't understand the hate for that Broken Wings song. I mean, it's not in the top 100 of all time or anything, but it seems pretty un-hateworthy.Oh Ricky, you're so fineYou're so fine you blow my mindHey Ricky.Hey Ricky.Now that's hate material.
it's "mickey"
Agree (or is it disagree?) with the 99 balloons, I was in West Germany when it came out as 99 Sclhuffballoons or somethin' like that.
well that's the superior version, obv. It sounds so exotic and magical."Working for the weekend" is a song that needs to die.
"any way you want it", "don't stop believin'" or pretty much any song by journey ( to which I include like all those crappy late 70's arena rock bands that sound just like journey)
I've hated the "dont stop believin" resurgence ever since they played it on the Sopranos finale. On the contrary, my FAVORITE 80's song that just wont die has to be "Your Love" by The Outfield. LOVE that song, and I hear it all over the place it seems the last couple years.
I like Only the good die young by billy joel, and some of his 70's stuff is okay, but the 80's he got fairly brutal. I'll tell you an 80's song I can't get enough of.. 99 red balloons
QTF
Blondie was primarily a 70s band, but I guess "Call Me" was 1980.Van Halen, Aerosmith, REO, Journey, Styx, RUSH!, Queen, ZZ Top, The Cars, and even Yes had popularity in the 80s but all of them did their best stuff in the 70s and really started sucking in the 80sFor me Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only "good" music from the 80s.
I don't know where to start my response to this thread, but this seemed the most logical.....VH, although I <3 sammy hagar, i thought they were better with DLR. But i was an Eddie fan, so it didn't really matter as long as he was still sexy. The music of vanhagar wasn't as good as van halen, but not so bad that i would stop being a fan.For me rush could record the national anthem played on an acordian and i would probably love it. I'm a big rush fan. It's true, they did progress closer to "mainstream" through the 80's and even into the 90's, but their idea of "typical" is still pretty much their own unique sound. They just have that quality.The only time i think aerosmith really lost it, was the whole remix into rap thing they did with RunDMC. Although i have to say, i really did like 80's rap "walk this way" didn't really work for me. But they did have some good power ballad hits in the era. And i did say i like 80's rap, it was my generation, it was new and i'm sure i still have a few old school CD's in the car.I found the 80's had a ton of "one hit wonder" bands and most of them produced pretty big chart toppers at the time. I remember Broken Wings being a huge song when it came out and i don't mind hearing it now and again today. But..i can understand, the radio station at work constantly plays "manic monday" by the Bangles.....after hearing it every hour on the hour, i kinda start to wish it would go away.Because of my age, i sometimes have trouble distinguishing late 70's music from that of the early 80's, so to me it's all one big era. I do feel the same way about U2 as you do about the bands you mentioned. Their early 80's stuff was way better than their later 80's and beyond. They made the transition to mainstream around the "joshua tree" and although some of their stuff is still really good, the stuff they did before it was waaaaaaaaaay better. But i think it all has to do with how you came to like it, U2 fans today probably prefer the "new" stuff better. It's just the style of music they are accustomed to.