I'm nominating "Big Country Dreams" as the song I most want to die.

Oh, God, I would welcome "Always Something There to Remind Me." My grocery store seems fixated on the feel-good pop ballad. My husband is genuinely creepy about this ... one day I came home ranting about "that horrible whiny '80s song, not 'Leader of the Band,' but that other one..." He immediately said, "Take/these broken wings/? That one?" Without a single word of the lyrics or any description beyond horrible and whiny, he nailed it. I was trying all afternoon to remember it and couldn't. Just now I walked downstairs and said, "Remember that time I came home from the store and they'd been playing that horrible whiny song and you identified it?" Mind you, this was like last year that this happened. And he said, "Take/these broken wings/? Yep. Mister Mister." [The same guy who can't remember his parents' phone number....]That song would be candidate number 2.

And what kind of a fucking band name is "Mister Mister" anyway?I'd have to say Amanda by Boston is one mf my most hated songs of all time. With it's faux power ballad tempo and facile lyrics, it has to be one of the worst big hits of the 80's. It just drips with forced sentiment and the rhyme schemes are almost as embarassing as Anthony Kiedis' rapping.See if you don't agree with me.Amanda, by BostonSpecial Mention: More Than Words, by Extreme...I really thought those dudes (?) were going to kiss each other in the video.

This won't die because I won't let itFirst, when there's nothing but a slow glowing dreamThat your fear seems to hide deep inside your mindAll alone I have cried silent tears full of prideIn a world made of steel, made of stoneWell I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythmWrap around, take a hold of my heart[Chorus:]What a feeling, bein's believin'I can't have it all, now I'm dancin' for my lifeTake your passion, and make it happenPictures come alive, you can dance right through your life[solo]Now I hear the music, close my eyes, I am rhythmIn a flash it takes hold of my heart[chorus (with ... "now I'm dancing through my life")]What a feelingWhat a feeling (I am music now), bein's believin' (I am rhythm now)Pictures come alive, you can dance right through your lifeWhat a feeling (I can really have it all)What a feeling (Pictures come alive when I call)I can have it all (I can really have it all)Have it all (Pictures come alive when I call)(call, call, call, call, what a feeling) I can have it all(Bein's believin') bein's believin'(Take your passion, make it happen) make it happen(What a feeling) what a feeling... [to fade]

Maybe these songs won't die because 80's music rocks!
Really? Mister Mister rocks?I love '80s music. I'm delighted when store muzak comes out with Pet Shop Boys, Blondie, B-52s ("Deadbeat Club" was playing in Staples the other day), or, all too rarely, Talking Heads. [see the "title" under my name? It's an homage to David Byrne.]But not these songs. These are the songs that need to die.
Really? Mister Mister rocks?I love '80s music. I'm delighted when store muzak comes out with Pet Shop Boys, Blondie, B-52s ("Deadbeat Club" was playing in Staples the other day), or, all too rarely, Talking Heads. [see the "title" under my name? It's an homage to David Byrne.]But not these songs. These are the songs that need to die.
Blondie was primarily a 70s band, but I guess "Call Me" was 1980.Van Halen, Aerosmith, REO, Journey, Styx, RUSH!, Queen, ZZ Top, The Cars, and even Yes had popularity in the 80s but all of them did their best stuff in the 70s and really started sucking in the 80sFor me Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only "good" music from the 80s.

In fact so many of these bands are defined today by their most popular songs that really aren't consistent with their body of work. For example, ZZ Top's stuff like "Sharp Dressed Man" is not the Texas Blues Based rock that was their Bread & Butter for more than a decade before they became "popular". The Cars being remembered by things like "You Might Think" or their most successful song "Drive" amazes me when compared to their core pseudo-punk, New Wave stuff like "Just what I Needed". I take it almost personally that Areosmith, RUSH!, and Yes might be remembered by more people for the crap that they put out in the 80s rather than their "real" sound as defined in the 70s

And what kind of a fucking band name is "Mister Mister" anyway?
In high school I worked as a telemarketer and called somebody with the last name "Mister". My buddy worked at the station next to mine and when that name popped up, I immediately nudged him and pointed at my screen. I made it about 10 seconds past, "Hello, may I please speak to Mr. Mister..." before we were both cracking up and I got hung up on. Looking back, that story is neither funny nor worthy of being retold.

Granted, Blondie was mainly 70s. And I know what you mean that bands get remembered for monster hits that are virtually nothing like their core sound. At least when the B-52s became a so-called one-hit wonder, it was with a song that was truly their signature sound. Ironic that the Pet Shop Boys are remembered for a song about girls. As a side note, they worked wonders with a remake of "Always on My Mind." With the simple act of cutting a line in the middle, a la sampling, they uncovered the real meaning of the song, something that I think both Elvis and Willie Nelson had missed, and maybe even the songwriters themselves. They cut the line "maybe I didn't love you quite as often as I should have" to "maybe I didn't love you," and that's what ends the song. Brilliant.

tom-cruise-gives-thumbs-up.jpg
You know he's got Spandau Ballet and Tears for Fears and A-ha and Mister Mister all over his Walkman.
In high school I worked as a telemarketer and called somebody with the last name "Mister". My buddy worked at the station next to mine and when that name popped up, I immediately nudged him and pointed at my screen. I made it about 10 seconds past, "Hello, may I please speak to Mr. Mister..." before we were both cracking up and I got hung up on. Looking back, that story is neither funny nor worthy of being retold.
I lol'd.Makes me think of one thing I hate in the workplace: People who say Mr. followed by your first name."Yes, Mr. Jeff, i can get this rate for you on copy paper, not a problem!" "Fuck you, arsehole"
Granted, Blondie was mainly 70s. And I know what you mean that bands get remembered for monster hits that are virtually nothing like their core sound. At least when the B-52s became a so-called one-hit wonder, it was with a song that was truly their signature sound.
Rock Lobster would like some stern words with you

At the rate this thread is going, I don't think we're going to get to 80 songs any time soon.Maybe you should have set the bar lower?

"any way you want it", "don't stop believin'" or pretty much any song by journey ( to which I include like all those crappy late 70's arena rock bands that sound just like journey)

C'mon EileenIt sticks in your head forever.In fact, some of you will have it in your head as you go to bed tonight.

Actually, I'm moving that odious Mister Mister song up to number 1 of songs I want to die. "Big Country Dreams" is fucking Shakespeare next to it.Also, anything by Billy Joel, but most of all his insipid hooky 80s stuff. Gets stuck in your head forever, especially when you don't like the song to begin with, and makes you want claw your brain out through your ear and stomp on it.Hblask reminded me, because the hookiest songs are always the ones I most hate.

Also, anything by Billy Joel, but most of all his insipid hooky 80s stuff. Gets stuck in your head forever, especially when you don't like the song to begin with, and makes you want claw your brain out through your ear and stomp on it.
I like Only the good die young by billy joel, and some of his 70's stuff is okay, but the 80's he got fairly brutal. I'll tell you an 80's song I can't get enough of.. 99 red balloons