Tom Watson Final Tables With Chip Lead At Turnberry

and this is why golf shouldn't be a sport. Wilt Chamberlain isn't coming back to lead the Sixers to a championship, you can count on that.In either case, I hope he wins, if not to just have something better to talk about than the damn Yankees for a few days.

and this is why golf shouldn't be a sport. Wilt Chamberlain isn't coming back to lead the Sixers to a championship, you can count on that.In either case, I hope he wins, if not to just have something better to talk about than the damn Yankees for a few days.
What does it being a sport have to do with anything? I'm never totally sure why people care what is considered a sport. If you enjoy it, then it shouldn't matter.

Even if he doesn't win, I thought that walk down 18 was pretty cool today.Also, its not that golf shouldn't be a sport. It's the British Open shouldn't be a major, imo. It is like winning a miniature golf tournament with all the hazards and short yardage holes.Nonetheless, it is still awesome what Watson is doing.

and this is why golf shouldn't be a sport. Wilt Chamberlain isn't coming back to lead the Sixers to a championship, you can count on that.
Why do "sports" have to be limited to young people? Why are the strengths of youth a requirement of a sport? Why can't a sport be more dependent on physical skill, judgment, mental toughness, etc.? It's not as if golf didn't require any physical skills. There are definite physical skills required ... a certain amount of physical strength, physical flexibility, physical stamina, physical accuracy, physical coordination, and consistency in the performance of all of those physical skills.And ... in the vast majority of cases, younger men in their 20's and 30's are at the top of their game. The fact that a few extraordinary people can remain competitive beyond age 40 should not mean that the game is not a sport.
Even if he doesn't win, I thought that walk down 18 was pretty cool today.Also, its not that golf shouldn't be a sport. It's the British Open shouldn't be a major, imo. It is like winning a miniature golf tournament with all the hazards and short yardage holes.Nonetheless, it is still awesome what Watson is doing.
lol, you know that's where golf started, right? And the course is playing over 7200 yards for a par 70, right?

For anyone who thinks golf is not a sport: Go play 18 holes per day for four days straight, walking (and yes, you can take a caddie). If, after day four, you still feel that it's not a sport, then I will respect your opinion even though I don't agree with you.As for Tom, it is amazing what he is doing, and I can't wait for tomorrow.I remember when I fell in love with golf. It was watching Jack make his charge on the final nine at Augusta in '86. Before that tournament even started, I remember a reporter saying basically, "Jack doesn't have much of a chance. At 46, he just can't compete with the younger guys". When the Sunday coverage began, I was alone in a college TV room watching. By the time Jack won, the room was full of guys screaming and cheering. It's one of my fondest sports memories.If Tom can pull this out, it will be even more amazing than Jack's '86 win. While Jack made an incredible charge on the back nine, Tom has the chance to win this thing wire-to-wire (which for any golfer would be newsworthy). He's handling this course better than any other golfer, doing it with an incredible show of class, and all while he's 59 years old.

lol, you know that's where golf started, right? And the course is playing over 7200 yards for a par 70, right?
heh, I did not know that. I was going off the 5 or 6 holes that I watched. There is so much I can take of guys trying to hit balls out of the middle of the field, or a sandtrap with a 20 foot slope.

Tom Watson is a welcome reminder that experience counts for something.I have nothing against the youth of today. Hell, I have 3 young kids. But it is reassuring to see someone who is considered "past his prime" competing with the young guns.Nothing against the youth of tomorrow...... but us old farts still have a few tricks left.He's going for his 6th Open.Awesome.

heh, I did not know that. I was going off the 5 or 6 holes that I watched. There is so much I can take of guys trying to hit balls out of the middle of the field, or a sandtrap with a 20 foot slope.
It's definitely different than the golf you usually see, but it's an incredible challenge, and is pretty much golf at it's most pure... very difficult, but completely fair (unlike how the US Open often turns out, unfortunately).
Firstly, it's not the British Open. It's 'The Open'. We kind of invented the game, so that's all we need to call it.Secondly, what you just said is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum... you actually have it completely the other way round. This is PROPER golf.
Firstly, it's not the British Open. It's 'The Open'. We kind of invented the game, so that's all we need to call it.Secondly, what you just said is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum... you actually have it completely the other way round. This is PROPER golf.
Hi!I already cleared that up.

He just shot an 8 on a par 4 when 2 shots up at -4. Now at E 2 shots back.

I made a bet with my buddy that he wouldn't win it b4 the start of the final round. I gave him 3 to 1 odds. It was close, I almost lost $150. so relieved when he missed that final putt. Deep down inside of course I wish watson had won, i didn't think he'd hang in there till the end though. thought he would get taken over like greg norman did last year.

For anyone who thinks golf is not a sport: Go play 18 holes per day for four days straight, walking (and yes, you can take a caddie). If, after day four, you still feel that it's not a sport, then I will respect your opinion even though I don't agree with you.As for Tom, it is amazing what he is doing, and I can't wait for tomorrow.I remember when I fell in love with golf. It was watching Jack make his charge on the final nine at Augusta in '86. Before that tournament even started, I remember a reporter saying basically, "Jack doesn't have much of a chance. At 46, he just can't compete with the younger guys". When the Sunday coverage began, I was alone in a college TV room watching. By the time Jack won, the room was full of guys screaming and cheering. It's one of my fondest sports memories.If Tom can pull this out, it will be even more amazing than Jack's '86 win. While Jack made an incredible charge on the back nine, Tom has the chance to win this thing wire-to-wire (which for any golfer would be newsworthy). He's handling this course better than any other golfer, doing it with an incredible show of class, and all while he's 59 years old.
QFMFT, every word of it....