Jeff Shulman's Comments About Wsop

I wrote a rant like two weeks ago on another site about how terrible Harrah's/the Rio/WSOP(HRW) was, and Shulman's sentiments pretty much echo mine and I'm sure many other player's. He is not trying to disrespect tradition and all that, just Harrah's and the entire way they do business. I also respect him for sticking to his statements even after he made the final table. I hope he wins and tips $0.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a rant like two weeks ago on another site about how terrible Harrah's/the Rio/WSOP(HRW) was, and Shulman's sentiments pretty much echo mine and I'm sure many other player's. He is not trying to disrespect tradition and all that, just Harrah's and the entire way they do business. I also respect him for sticking to his statements even after he made the final table. I hope he wins and tips $0.
his issue is with mgt, not the dealers. not tipping would be a huge dick move and uncalled for regardless of whether his issues with mgt are justified or not in the court of public opinion
his issue is with mgt, not the dealers. not tipping would be a huge dick move and uncalled for regardless of whether his issues with mgt are justified or not in the court of public opinion
They already get a tip, 1.8% of the buy in is forced out of the buy in by Harrahs for staff tips
there were a ton of people left out of the ME who were told that there was NO way that anyone would be shut out. throughout the entire WSOP history, no one has been turned away. you can't blame a player for not registering earlier
I don't know about that.Obviously there was a failure based on their notion of "no player would ever be shut out". But IMO anyone showing up on the last day of play without a registration is taking on some level of risk, in that you never know what can happen.It's like going to movie theater to go see Pootie Tang. Sure the theater can guarantee that it won't be sold out.....but you never know that one time the "impossible" may happen and not one seat will be available. If it's that important to you, you should plan ahead. I think that's a good thought for anything in life. Obviously you can't always control it...but waiting until the last minute always carries a level of risk.
They already get a tip, forced out of the buy in by Harrahs
yes, and i hate forced tipping. It's so contradictory. It's fun though as I'm a 20-25% tipper standard at minimum, so when i get a forced 15% tip I never tip over that out of principle.
yes, and i hate forced tipping. It's so contradictory. It's fun though as I'm a 20-25% tipper standard at minimum, so when i get a forced 15% tip I never tip over that out of principle.
Well it's 1.8%, or $1,168,000 this year for the main Event.About 1,000 staff, so roughly $1,200 per person....I think, there are people here with more knowledge about this than me, but they lie a lot so take what they say with a grain of salt.
Well it's 1.8%, or $1,168,000 this year for the main Event.About 1,000 staff, so roughly $1,200 per person....I think, there are people here with more knowledge about this than me, but they lie a lot so take what they say with a grain of salt.
I prolly came off wrong. Forced tipping is fine in tourney poker. It's actually sensible. I understand the forced tipping....but I think it's brash to then ask anyone who cashes if they want to tip. I dunno, I guess there's nothing wrong with asking......but I think it is wrong if a force tip has already been taken (which is okay for any tourney event).I guess my point is if you force tip something, asking if someone wants to tip after seems very seedy. And on the whole, the notion of forced tipping leaves a bad taste with me...but i wholly understand in situations of huge parties at restaurant or big poker tourney the relative necessity of it.
I prolly came off wrong. Forced tipping is fine in tourney poker. It's actually sensible. I understand the forced tipping....but I think it's brash to then ask anyone who cashes if they want to tip. I dunno, I guess there's nothing wrong with asking......but I think it is wrong if a force tip has already been taken (which is okay for any tourney event).I guess my point is if you force tip something, asking if someone wants to tip after seems very seedy. And on the whole, the notion of forced tipping leaves a bad taste with me...but i wholly understand in situations of huge parties at restaurant or big poker tourney the relative necessity of it.
I agree, "forced tip" seems like an oxymoron to me.
This is the final table of the biggest tourney of the year. A stage for the whole world to see this game...he needs to do 3 things:2. Shuffle up.
I hate to be a stickler, but I think they have dealers to do that for him. Unless you mean shuffling his chips. Now, I'm not sure that he HAS to shuffle his chips, but yes, I guess he can choose to if he so desires.
I don't know about that.Obviously there was a failure based on their notion of "no player would ever be shut out". But IMO anyone showing up on the last day of play without a registration is taking on some level of risk, in that you never know what can happen.It's like going to movie theater to go see Pootie Tang. Sure the theater can guarantee that it won't be sold out.....but you never know that one time the "impossible" may happen and not one seat will be available. If it's that important to you, you should plan ahead. I think that's a good thought for anything in life. Obviously you can't always control it...but waiting until the last minute always carries a level of risk.
when the words no one will ever be shut out, actually come out of the commissioner's mouth it seems hard to misinterpret that. especially since they let C-list celebrities in after they were "sold out"
when the words no one will ever be shut out, actually come out of the commissioner's mouth it seems hard to misinterpret that. especially since they let C-list celebrities in after they were "sold out"
true. Ive always been taught to not leave things off till the last minute, so that probably assists in my thinking. You are right though "no one will ever be shut out" is pretty cut and dry.

I like how he says it is not about Cardplayer not getting media duties at the WSOP.Yet in every interview I've read or seen with him they talk about Cardplayer not getting media duties at the WSOP.He is definitely getting the publicity he wants for Cardplayer even if that was not his motive.

Maybe this is posted somewhere else, but who were the celebs that were let in after registration was "closed"? I think I read that a couple of pro's (Mickey Appleman and others) were left out, but some celebs made it in?
Maybe this is posted somewhere else, but who were the celebs that were let in after registration was "closed"? I think I read that a couple of pro's (Mickey Appleman and others) were left out, but some celebs made it in?
jeff schulman says celebs in his interview but the only one i know of was joe reitman, and he traded in shannon elizabeth for annie duke
I could have sworn that any minute, Adam & Diego were going to take turns blowing Shulman.
QFT. I didn't make it past the first 3 minutes.
I almost QFT, but you hate Steak & Shake? Seriously?I almost don't think we could ever be friends now.
Ok, I should explain. Any other city, SnS is the bomb but in STL it seems like they recruit the bottom of the barrel for employees. I actually LOVE the food from steak and shake...I just can't trade the taste of the food over the possibility of it being undercooked, food poisoned (happened twice to me) and let's not forget the fact that for some reason it takes 45 minutes to get a burger if you go through the drive thru. I have on two occasions gone inside to eat and waited to be seated for about 20 minutes with an empty store.. .Finally got a table and had to wait another 25 minutes for a waitress. If I'm out of town.....I'm there (frisco melts are amazing) but I refuse to go here until they hire someone in the STL area that cares about servicing the customer in a somewhat speedy manner. I hope we can still be friends.... :club: