Wsop Player Of The Year Format

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

apologize in advance as i said i was done posting here months ago...If phil ivey wins his 3rd bracelet to tie lisandro, he still loses POY. How the **** is that possible when 1 bracelet is the main event?Eff that , even if Phil only makes final nine, I believe he still deserves POY over lisandro cuz ME should be wheighted that much more. please daniel if you can have any influence on this in the future please make the ME worth at least 2x a standard 1500NL if not more!
Please abide by this thought.
its prolly a mistake by pokernews. you thinking stud tables are ninehanded removes you from any argument in this thread. everyone knows stud is an 8handed game, at least legit poker players know that. the official payouts went as this: 1 $ 373,744 Freddie Ellis 2 $ 231,014 Eric Drache 3 $ 152,915 Ville Wahlbeck 4 $ 107,959 Max Pescatori 5 $ 80,969 Hasan Habib 6 $ 64,297 Ivan Schertzer 7 $ 53,886 Greg 'FBT' Mueller 8 $ 47,532 Tim Phan 9 $ 36,267 Jeff Lisandro 10 $ 36,267 Daniel Negreanu since when is making the final table not worth 1 penny more than bubbling the FT?
Find me one stud event this year in the wsop where they were NOT 9 handed at the final table and I will give you $100 dollars on full tilt. I don't think stud tables naturally are 9 handed. I think that they include one more player then normal in all final tables for tournaments . eg. 10 people in NLHE tables when they are naturally 9 handed. To your point about 1 penny more event 54 and 53 are the EXACT same. With the pay outs being the same for 9th and 10th and 8th and 9th respectively. I am sure the rest will be more or less the same but I dont care enough to look. You have NO idea what you are talking about but that is nothing new.
it may have been said earlier....but who gives a shit?
this is a poker forumwhy are u responding in a thread you dont give a shit about? are u trying to impress other men on here that you have a crush on? why are so many people on this board homosexuals?ivey played just as many events as negraunu, him betting on p.o.y. is not unlikely.yeah im losing money but i would be upset even if i wasnt, its all about the sport of poker and its legend/history that i care about and unless he blows up before the november nine IVEY deserves p.o.y.dude you are right they were ninehanded but it did not equate to the final table. it was a logistics desicion and not a wsop FT that nine place recieved
this is a poker forumwhy are u responding in a thread you dont give a shit about? are u trying to impress other men on here that you have a crush on? why are so many people on this board homosexuals?ivey played just as many events as negraunu, him betting on p.o.y. is not unlikely.yeah im losing money but i would be upset even if i wasnt, its all about the sport of poker and its legend/history that i care about and unless he blows up before the november nine IVEY deserves p.o.y.
This is a statement that a grade schooler would make in a verbal altercation with a fellow student in home room.
poker's a sport? don't sports usually require some sort of athletic ability? jimmy fricke doesn't look to athletic to me.
You've obviously never seen him when they announce dinner break!
You've obviously never seen him when they announce dinner break!
ZING!Didn't lisandro break the top 200 in the ME also? Yeah, he's pretty good.
dude you are right they were ninehanded but it did not equate to the final table. it was a logistics desicion and not a wsop FT that nine place recieved
WTF are you on about. If they are only playing on one table, how is it not the final table.

brief, but complete answer:the structure of WSOP player of the year is horrible. But it was designed to make sure that the winner is actually a solid poker pro. If they awarded points using a tiered system, based upon number of entries and cost of entering the tournament, the main event donkament would be given too much weight. No one would take the WSOP POY seriously if someone like Jerry Yang won. But after Phil Ivey's run this year I predict that they revise the criteria for POY before 2010.gmanshade

Jez, people are being a little harsh. I think Ivey does care about the POY. All poker players must care about it some bit. He cares about the money and the actual bracelets a lot more, but I'm sure he would like to win the POY. As for the actual system, IDK, I thinks it's fair enough. I think the Main Event is a different animal to all the other WSOP events. Personally, I agree with the thought process that the Main Event should not be included in the POY race.

brief, but complete answer:the structure of WSOP player of the year is horrible. But it was designed to make sure that the winner is actually a solid poker pro. If they awarded points using a tiered system, based upon number of entries and cost of entering the tournament, the main event donkament would be given too much weight. No one would take the WSOP POY seriously if someone like Jerry Yang won. But after Phil Ivey's run this year I predict that they revise the criteria for POY before 2010.gmanshade
I'll take your word for it, you seem like a trustworthy guy....

They really need to weight the points accumulated by the type of game, the number of pros that enter, the cost to enter, the quality of the players at the final table, and especially how many races you won aipf.So a razz game with no-names at the final table for $1,000 buy in should give you like 4 points total to 1st place.

They really need to weight the points accumulated by the type of game, the number of pros that enter, the cost to enter, the quality of the players at the final table, and especially how many races you won aipf.So a razz game with no-names at the final table for $1,000 buy in should give you like 4 points total to 1st place.
Hmmm, seems like you could be onto something there Balloon guy
I'll take your word for it, you seem like a trustworthy guy....
I know you are upset because GMan owes you $500, but let's move to the issue from yesterday - GMan said he was leaving and yet he was still here I mean really, I would think that someone as self important as GMan would have better things to do than crawl back to a forum where he is hated anyways

Considering this thread was doomed from the start, there's a surprising amount of "win" in here. nice work fellas. :club:

Did we ever differentiate between playing at one table and making the final table?Also, how did they run the 6-max tourneys, combine to one table at 7 or 8 or did they play4 and 3 handed on two tables?

This is a statement that a grade schooler would make in a verbal altercation with a fellow student in home room.
I'm sorry but I still laughed.

The main event DOES award more points than any other tournament. See if you can figure out why that is before looking below... In a $10,000 stud event with 158 players, only 16 places are awarded points. The total points awarded in the event is dwarfed by large field events where 5 points is given out to any cash. In the ME, over 600 players got points. Total points given out was more than two $10k events combined.

The main event DOES award more points than any other tournament. See if you can figure out why that is before looking below... In a $10,000 stud event with 158 players, only 16 places are awarded points. The total points awarded in the event is dwarfed by large field events where 5 points is given out to any cash. In the ME, over 600 players got points. Total points given out was more than two $10k events combined.
It awards more points, but proportionally it blows. 40 times as many people as a small 10K event, but only twice as many points?
It awards more points, but proportionally it blows. 40 times as many people as a small 10K event, but only twice as many points?
There is NO WAY to do it proportionally that doesn't make Jerry Yang POY