2009 Poker Hall Of Fame Nominees Announces

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think should be inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame this year

• Tom Dwan
    • Barry Greenstein
    • Dan Harrington
    • Phil Ivey
    • Tom McEvoy
    • Men Nguyen
    • Scotty Nguyen
    • Erik Seidel
    • Mike Sexton
    • Daniel Negreanu

http://www.pokernetwork.com/news/2009-poke...nounced9326.htmWhat does everyone think? Firstly, the fact that Tom McEvoy is even a nominee is a complete joke. He no way deserves to be there. To be inducted, I think it is between Seidel and Greenstein. Ivey and Negreanu will be inducted at some point no doubt, but they are a bit young to be inducted now I think (same with Dwan). Harrington, Scotty, Men just haven't done enough to deserve it imo. Sexton definitely doesn't deserve it from a playing standpoint but his overall contribution to poker does merit a nomination.

I love DN and a bunch of other guys on that list.No way they should be nominated into the hall of fame at their young age.Not unless you want to make the hall of fame a joke

Sexton was the only one who got my vote. Ivey and DN are likely future locks. While Dwan has had amazing success in a short career, it is somewhat silly to put him on there at this point. Clearly a nod to the Internet generation who think that the World formed around the time when they were born or perhaps became self-aware while watching The Matrix. 3 or 4 years isn't a career.

Some great players on the list but for the hall of fame I can only pick Dan Harrington for his WSOP performances - especially in some of the recent main events.
Harrington certainly deserves some serious consideration.

My votes are Sexton, Harrington and Seidel.Seidel based on his playing record. Mike Sexton arguably the best ambassador of the game we have seen and Action Dan who not only has shown great results but authored one of the best books for poker.Ivey and Daniel will get in one day but shouldnt even be considered at this stage.And is Dwan even really on a list???

http://www.pokernetwork.com/news/2009-poke...nounced9326.htmWhat does everyone think? Firstly, the fact that Tom McEvoy is even a nominee is a complete joke. He no way deserves to be there. To be inducted, I think it is between Seidel and Greenstein. Ivey and Negreanu will be inducted at some point no doubt, but they are a bit young to be inducted now I think (same with Dwan). Harrington, Scotty, Men just haven't done enough to deserve it imo. Sexton definitely doesn't deserve it from a playing standpoint but his overall contribution to poker does merit a nomination.
Seriously? I expected to see a s/w or something following this statement.

Dwan being nominated at this point in his career is a joke, and I hope that even he would agree to that.My pick was Harrington until I saw Sexton further down. Both have had not only great success on the tables, but were both instrumental in making poker accessible to a huge audience, and have been great promoters for the game. Harrington's books were great, but Sexton's work with the WPT gives him the nod, IMO.

Seriously? I expected to see a s/w or something following this statement.
I definitely don't think Men or Scotty deserve to be inducted. I think it's fair enough for Harrington to be inducted, but I still think Seidel and Greenstein are more deserving
Harrington, McEvoy and Sexton are easy choices.
and Greenstein would be my choices. No offense to Durr but Maybe 10 yrs from now

I agree some may not want to include Men because of his alleged questionable play/dealings with his horses, but there is no denying his WSOP cashes (2nd to Hellmuth) and his CardPlayer: Player of the Year Awards (1997, 2001, 2003 and 2005).I personally don't care for him, but his stats I believe do warrant inclusion into the HOF.

I agree some may not want to include Men because of his alleged questionable play/dealings with his horses, but there is no denying his WSOP cashes (2nd to Hellmuth) and his CardPlayer: Player of the Year Awards (1997, 2001, 2003 and 2005).I personally don't care for him, but his stats I believe do warrant inclusion into the HOF.
Those sorts of questions make Men the Mark Mcgwire of Poker.

RequirementsBefore starting the 2009 WSOP, the WSOP Commissioner Jeffrey Pollack announced that the process for becoming a member into the Poker Hall of Fame would undergo a slight modification. Starting in 2009, the Poker Hall of Fame started accepting nominations from the public. This move is intended to increase interest in the Hall. Almost immediately after this decision was announced, Party Poker started an on-line campaign to get its representative and World Poker Tour commentator Mike Sexton elected to the Hall. The requirements for the Poker Hall of Fame are: * A gambler must have played poker against acknowledged top competition, * Played for high stakes, * Played consistently well, gained the respect of peers, * And stood the test of time. * Or, for non-players, contributed to the overall growth and success of the game of poker, with indelible positive and lasting results.After receiving the nominations, the WSOP will announce a list of ten candidates eligible for the 2009 class at the WSOP Main Event. In August, the WSOP will review the nominations from the general public and add any that it deems necessary. Finally, the WSOP will send out ballots to each of the living Hall of Famers and a limited number of people in the media to vote for the 2009 class. The number of media ballots will not exceed the number of voting members from the Hall of Fame. Any person who receives at least 75% of the vote will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at the Main Event Final Table in November 2009.So McEvoy certainly meets the requirement test. And after reviewing the list, his 4 Bracelets put him in the upper echelon considering how many members have none. Tom deserves the nomination, easily. Pulling the votes is another story.I'm assuming 16 'living member' votes exist where as the remaining 21 go to the media. Seeing how the 'old school' doesn't have the numbers in the voting process, it might might not turn out well for Tom.

even if McEvoy meets most of the requirements, there is no way that he has gained the respect of his peers. Anyone who knows poker and knows Tom McEvoy knows what a bad poker player he is. The guy is terrible!

Those sorts of questions make Men the Mark Mcgwire of Poker.
Um, atleast McGwire wasn't doing something that was outside the norm (as we all know now.) Men's blatant cheating acts should most definitely disqualify him imho.