Shark, I would make a separate post for your hands.First hand I could go either way depending on opp's stats, but would probably rather shove because 1)there is more money to steal in the pot than in the hand we started this topic with, and 2) the 2 mp's who flatted the original raise make it harder for the original raiser to call your shove / your shove looks even stronger because its going into 3 opps instead of 2. And on a smaller note, AQs is a slightly better hand than AQo.Second hand, I raise preflop to punish the limpers. As limped, you HAVE to raise much more on flop. Pot it, board is way too dangerous and the min bet mp2 can easily be a draw or weaker ace with outs against you. Shove turn if it isn't all in on flop already.
I know. I wasn't going to post them orginially but I think they fit pretty well with the overall topic here. They are all 4.40 hands and all just slightly different situations, given stack sizes, position, players, and blinds.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 75/150 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP3 (t6920)CO (t6204)Hero (Button) (t4526)SB (t2405)BB (t1400)UTG (t10690)UTG+1 (t2770)MP1 (t2985)MP2 (t3580)Hero's M: 20.12Preflop: Hero is Button with Aheart.gif, Qspade.gifUTG calls t150, 2 folds, MP2 calls t150, 2 folds, Hero calls t150, SB calls t75, BB checksFlop: (t750) Kheart.gif, 5club.gif, Aclub.gif(5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 bets t150, Hero raises to t567, 2 folds, UTG calls t567, 1 foldTurn: (t2034) 8diamond.gif(2 players)UTG checks, Hero checksRiver: (t2034) 5spade.gif(2 players)UTG bets t1500, Hero calls t1500Total pot: t5034UTG has somehow gotten a big stack from card donk racking people. Flatting in position a better play for this situation? Does anyone disagree with the line?
Out of the 3 AQ hands in this thread, I like raising this one preflop the most. I'm not trying to play AQo possibly 5 ways with 30 BBs.

Shark 1st hand: standard2nd hand: def raise pf to $750. As played I think you have to call the river and should chop a good enough percentage of the time.

You are missing the point of why I threw that in there. My point is that people are so passive pre & post flop, they play their hands face up. Go ahead and play your hands face up, have fun being a break even player. I am all about picking up dead money and we have a great shot to do so here. When you have a clear cut opportunity to dictate the action and gain equity, do it! The 'ZOMG Oh no, what if he calls?!?' crowd will always disagree with me and I'm okay with that. I am just offering my POV as a successful player, that's all. Take it or leave it.
How is our flat of AQ on the button playing our hand face up? Not saying you are wrong at all I am just curious. I don't think this puts me in the "ZOMG" club, lol, as if the circumstances were even a little different (see my response to Shark's hands) I'd shove all day...just in this specific one I think seeing the flop is a slightly better idea.
2nd hand: def raise pf to $750. As played I think you have to call the river and should chop a good enough percentage of the time.
I think a raise pre was better too but I actually flatted because I read this thread earlier in the day. UTG ends up having A5, which maybe he does, maybe he doesn't fold if I raise pre.
How is our flat of AQ on the button playing our hand face up? Not saying you are wrong at all I am just curious. I don't think this puts me in the "ZOMG" club, lol, as if the circumstances were even a little different (see my response to Shark's hands) I'd shove all day...just in this specific one I think seeing the flop is a slightly better idea.
The 'playing your hand face up' comment was obv implying post flop. And yes, shove pf is the correct play. :club:
I think a raise pre was better too but I actually flatted because I read this thread earlier in the day. UTG ends up having A5, which maybe he does, maybe he doesn't fold if I raise pre.
This proves my point that flatting is bad here. I always want to play stronger hands like AQ etc vs a lower number of opponents post flop. Raising pf is the only way to accomplish my goal. That way, if someone does call & I miss, it's def easier to bluff 1 or 2 opponents than it is to bluff 5. Also, you can induce some pretty spazzy shoves by weaker hands as well. It's def the best play for hand #2. The other thing about flat calling with hands like AQ in multi-way pots is you HAVE to posses the ability to fold them in hairy post flop situations. That's def easier said than done and usually requires a bit more experience so go ahead and make the standard raise pf to thin the field. :club: