Turning To Religion At A Time Of Crisis

No I don't need anything that is worthy of actual prayer but thanks though for the offer.My issue is that her posts are retarded. Actually self-serving, attention whoring selfishness would be a better description. I have no issue with feeling bad about ones situation or about anothers, but to go around a poker website posting prayers to god to kill you and save another is just plain disrespectful, rude, and not deserving of any sympathy from me at least. Of cousre I spent 9 hours dealing with a sewage back up yesterday so my mood is tense.
oh lord, won't you buy me, a new septic tank. my shit's all backed up, and it smells f'ing rank
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

everyone knows prayers don't come true if you say them out loud

No, no problem. It's just a little odd that you'd post a prayer asking God to take you instead of others in at least three places (like one wasn't good enough). A bit dramatic, but hey it's the inte

I got nothing better to do so why not take some time to respond...first of all, I not looking for any ones sympathyYes you were. Maybe you don't realize it but it was a obvious post of LOOK AT ME PEOP

It's the athletes that get me. If you pray to win are you really expecting God to will losing upon the opponent? Is God rooting foryou to be #1 (finger waving in the air) and the other team to lose? I find it rather pretentious that they would believe that he actually cared who won a sporting event.I have no problem with prayer and believe alot of people should take a few moments each day to do a little self-reflectionand ponder life a little.
Based on the few books written by Christian athletes I've read and the interviews I've seen, they are not praying to win, they are usually trying to redirect any accomplishments they achieve towards God as a humble acknowledgment that they are only gifted with talent, it's not something they deserved.I'm sure some of them are praying for other things, but the majority seem to have a good atitude that these short lived accomplishments are a distant second to their faith in Christ.
I find it rather pretentious that they would believe that he actually cared who won a sporting event.
I find it interesting that you would believe that "God" would have to prioritize what he cared about.
It's the athletes that get me. If you pray to win are you really expecting God to will losing upon the opponent? Is God rooting foryou to be #1 (finger waving in the air) and the other team to lose? I find it rather pretentious that they would believe that he actually cared who won a sporting event.I have no problem with prayer and believe alot of people should take a few moments each day to do a little self-reflectionand ponder life a little.
My only problem with it is when athletes don't also thank god when they lose. I know it might not be a big deal, but let's take Kurt Warner for example. If he wins a big game, I guarantee you that the first thing he will do is thank God and redirect the accomplishment to Him... which is great. But when he loses a big game (like last year's Superbowl)... he should do that also and it would be a huge testament to his faith if he did, but he doesn't. I have never seen Kurt honor God that way after a loss.... and it really annoys me. It annoys me for basically the same reason it annoys you. God doesn't care who wins the game.
13Now on the day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, 14a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, 15and the Sabeans attacked and took them. They also slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you." 16While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you." 17While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and took them and slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you." 18While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, 19and behold, a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people and they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you." 20Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." 22Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is the section of the Bible that all athletes should live by.
I find it interesting that you would believe that "God" would have to prioritize what he cared about.
I have long thought this, but the far majority of the world believes that He does, in fact, need to prioritize.... this includes probably 95% of 'atheists', when speaking in hypotheticals.Omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence are apparently hard words to understand.
I have long thought thisOmniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence are apparently hard words to understand.
So how do you reconcile that with Creation?What's the motivation to create?Certainly successfully accomplishing a task wouldn't be motivation to an omnipotent being.And omniscience seems to be a barrier to wanting to see how things play out after creation.Where does the need or desire to create come in?(Also, I realize that trying to assign human emotions to a God is probably equally silly, but I think it's fun to think about.)
It's more superstitious than pretentious. Superstitions tend to prevail in circumstances where a certain outcome is highly desired, but achieving it is only partially under control: e.g. gambling, sports, weather. Unpredictable relationships between actions and consequences lead to the feeling of outside control... think of a ouija board or divining rod. It feels like it is moving on its own because you can't predict where it will go next. The feeling of control comes from our brain's ability to predict what will happen next.
It's more superstitious than pretentious. Superstitions tend to prevail in circumstances where a certain outcome is highly desired, but achieving it is only partially under control: e.g. gambling, sports, weather. Unpredictable relationships between actions and consequences lead to the feeling of outside control... think of a ouija board or divining rod. It feels like it is moving on its own because you can't predict where it will go next. The feeling of control comes from our brain's ability to predict what will happen next.
ummm ouijia boards are real
No I don't need anything that is worthy of actual prayer but thanks though for the offer.My issue is that her posts are retarded. Actually self-serving, attention whoring selfishness would be a better description. I have no issue with feeling bad about ones situation or about anothers, but to go around a poker website posting prayers to god to kill you and save another is just plain disrespectful, rude, and not deserving of any sympathy from me at least. Of cousre I spent 9 hours dealing with a sewage back up yesterday so my mood is tense.
first of all, I not looking for any ones sympathy, you have no clue of the person of who I am, or what is going on with me. I feel for your sewage problem I do, but the thing is you don't know what is in my heart and soul if I could honestly give my life to save them I would, so were is that being selfish. I am dying. There's nothing in this world that is going to stop that process. It's part of reality. So If I could save another humans life I would in a heart beat because that's who I am. They stopped my radiation. Not because I asked them too, because there no sense continuing. But I don't want people to feel sorry or to say too bad, I am not looking for that. Chrozzo and I are good friends, it hit me like a ton of bricks when I found out, especially when he called me the day he went in as if he was saying good bye, so don't tell me I am selfish you ass. I would give my life for any kid here, or any person. Your acting like an arrogant jerk. the problem here is people don't like dealing in reality or truth or don't like the fact that I speak so bluntly about my life. Well this is the religion forum and here is where I came for some solitude and prayer and hope and what ever it took, he just might hear me. I have been ripped apart here emotionally by a lot of people but I also have developed some true friends as well. When I leave this world I will be at peace and I will know that at least I tried to care and love and do the best I could to help others. I am not perfect and heaven knows I have committed a lot of sins as well but the lord will have to decide what he plans to do with me at that time. But I know there are an awe full lot of hate in this place and that's something people will have to deal with later in there own lives.
It's that exactly you can't predict what's going to happen next thus sometimes you lose control of your feelings, and being a female especially one who is in the state of mind that I am in it's easily to make irrational comments and yeah I am making more of them as time gets closer I guess. And according to my psychiatrist that's to be expected and normal to have emotional thoughts and thinking like she said "I am a human dying".

I got nothing better to do so why not take some time to respond...first of all, I not looking for any ones sympathyYes you were. Maybe you don't realize it but it was a obvious post of LOOK AT ME PEOPLE AND FEEL SORRY FOR ME AND MY PROBLEMS. you have no clue of the person of who I am, or what is going on with me.Yes I do, it doesn't take anyone long to figure out that you seek out attention any way you can get it and this was just a another way for you to try and put people's focus on you. You do it all the time. It's why most people treat you the way they do. but the thing is you don't know what is in my heart and soul if I could honestly give my life to save them I would, so were is that being selfish. I am dying. There's nothing in this world that is going to stop that process. It's part of reality. So If I could save another humans life I would in a heart beat because that's who I am.I have no doubts that you would like to give your life up for them. That is not the issue. It's how you go about expressing it. That is what gets my goat. Chrozzo and I are good friends, it hit me like a ton of bricks when I found out, especially when he called me the day he went in as if he was saying good bye, so don't tell me I am selfish you ass.You are selfish though, you just clearly don't see it. Not my problem. There is nothing at all wrong to feel terrible about your friend who is sick. There is nothing wrong with wanting him to pull through. Maybe you should actually learn something from him. But the fact of the matter is that you went around this site, not just here and posting messages to God to take your life and spare his. God doesn't read poker message boards you dink. You only posted that to make yourself stand out. You posted that for attention because the plain simple fact is that you are a textbook example of a attention whore. Keep trying to deny it but you are. It has nothing to do with your cancer, it has nothing to do with your feelings for Chrozzo's well being, it simply has to do with how you go about directing attention on to your self. I would give my life for any kid here, or any person. Your acting like an arrogant jerk. the problem here is people don't like dealing in reality or truth or don't like the fact that I speak so bluntly about my life. Well this is the religion forum and here is where I came for some solitude and prayer and hope and what ever it took, he just might hear me.I don't really care if you think I am an arrogant jerk because you mighty be right. At least I can freely admit that. But you keep thinking that you aren't an attention whore. You didn't come to the Religion forum for solitude, you came for attention. You posted the same thing in General OT. And I believe other places as well on this site. You want prayer, go to church. Call family and friends. Don't go posting all over an internet poker message board saying you want God to take your life and save some other guy as if God is logged in reading this site. It's just plain retarded in my opinion. It is nothing but a sad sad pathetic cry for attention and takes away from what Chrozzo was fighting. You took his situation and used it to gain sympathy for your situation. Keep trying to deny it but that is exactly what you did whether you even realize it.I have been ripped apart here emotionally by a lot of people but I also have developed some true friends as well. When I leave this world I will be at peace and I will know that at least I tried to care and love and do the best I could to help others. I am not perfect and heaven knows I have committed a lot of sins as well but the lord will have to decide what he plans to do with me at that time. But I know there are an awe full lot of hate in this place and that's something people will have to deal with later in there own lives. Lets be honest here. You created all of this yourself by posting what you have. It still amazes me that you are indeed not some huge elaborate joke account. If you are a joke account than you are the king/queeen of the internet. If not, wow, I do actually feel sympathy for you but not for the reasons you seek.But hey, look I am giving you attention so at least I am giving you what you crave. Keep saying you don't seek attention it's a good way of getting it here.

• Like 1
So how do you reconcile that with Creation?What's the motivation to create?Certainly successfully accomplishing a task wouldn't be motivation to an omnipotent being.And omniscience seems to be a barrier to wanting to see how things play out after creation.Where does the need or desire to create come in?(Also, I realize that trying to assign human emotions to a God is probably equally silly, but I think it's fun to think about.)
Sorry I haven't responded until now. I usually avoid this forum, so I forget when I break down and post in here.According to the Bible, His motivation was to glorify Himself through creation.
Sorry I haven't responded until now. I usually avoid this forum, so I forget when I break down and post in here.According to the Bible, His motivation was to glorify Himself through creation.
Seriously? He did it for his ego?
Seriously? He did it for his ego?
Yes. But obviously you could look at it one of two ways. Either he's a total jerk or not.Let's say you have an old lady in a house in the country... and she LOVES cats. So she starts feeding them and watching them play and do stuff. The cats that are independent and stay to themselves, not caring about the old woman, will be on there own. The cats that love the old woman and going to get brought inside and shown much love. She still loves all the cats, and desires them to love her, but in the end, it's their decision, and the cats make her happy and they make her feel good about herself, since they rub on her leg and purr all the time. It's basically the same way with God, except that he actually did the manufacturing of the 'cats' and already knows which ones will decide to love him back.
Yes. But obviously you could look at it one of two ways. Either he's a total jerk or not.Let's say you have an old lady in a house in the country... and she LOVES cats. So she starts feeding them and watching them play and do stuff. The cats that are independent and stay to themselves, not caring about the old woman, will be on there own. The cats that love the old woman and going to get brought inside and shown much love. She still loves all the cats, and desires them to love her, but in the end, it's their decision, and the cats make her happy and they make her feel good about herself, since they rub on her leg and purr all the time. It's basically the same way with God, except that he actually did the manufacturing of the 'cats' and already knows which ones will decide to love him back.
most peculiar analogy of the week award goes toBRVHEART for "God is a Cat Lady"
who hides herself from her cats, but still expects them to worship her. If they don't, she'll burn them for eternity.
This isn't the case. He was actively and visibly a part of the lives of Jews in the Old Testament, and then came to Earth. I'm guessing you even have a book written by him in your house somewhere. He's far from hiding. (He just left town for a little while.)Also, separation from God, once you know that he is real and that you could have been with him in heaven, is the real torment. There are plenty of Biblical scholars that say that 'hell' is the separation, not literal burning. In the OT, it even describes a scenario in which people in heaven are separated from the other group by a chasm and that they can actually see the people in heaven and what they are doing, but can't join them. So who knows what 'hell' will be like... but either way, I don't want to be there.