Turning To Religion At A Time Of Crisis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

everyone knows prayers don't come true if you say them out loud

No, no problem. It's just a little odd that you'd post a prayer asking God to take you instead of others in at least three places (like one wasn't good enough). A bit dramatic, but hey it's the inte

I got nothing better to do so why not take some time to respond...first of all, I not looking for any ones sympathyYes you were. Maybe you don't realize it but it was a obvious post of LOOK AT ME PEOP

are you guys going to seriously debate this idiot? brvhrt is one thing. balloon guy okay. but this douchebag?
not for his sake specifically. there are a lot of people that think the way he does about christianity so can't be any harm in pointing out obvious logical flaws.
not at all. you're selectively ignoring the bible and changing the definition of christianity to fit your own personal sensibilities (happiness is more important than belief).i'm not complaining about that, just pointing it out.
You are correct. i selectively ignored the Bible when participating in a discussion about religious beliefs. However...I never changed "the definition of Christianity" to fit my own personal anything. Can you point to somewhere where it appears I did this? Seriously lost me on that one.
You seem to be arguing that whether or not someone beleives a certain proposition has no bearing on it's truth. That was actually my point, since your original post seemed to imply that murders turning to god had something to do with religion being right. Now, the reasons people beleive does have a lot to do with credibility. Consider Larry, who beleives that John did not kill his father, for one of the following reasons:1. John said so at his murder trial. 2. He saw Frank do it. 3. He stands to inheret a fortune if John did it. I think whether he believes for reason 1,2, or 3 has quite a bit of influence on his credibility don't you?
Not at all. I BELIEVE OJ killed Nicole and Ron. However...my belief has nothing to do with whether he did or not.I also never said that murderers turning religious in the face of death has anything to do with religion being "right". I merely pointed out that many times they do find religion. (Once again...I didn't say Christianity nor did I define Christianity)
However...I never changed "the definition of Christianity" to fit my own personal anything. Can you point to somewhere where it appears I did this? Seriously lost me on that one.
i already did. to summarize, you implied that what specifically a person believes doesn't matter - as long it makes them feel good or happy, enjoy each day etc. you directly compared religious faith to the belief that a rock protects someone from bear attacks, and implied that what feels good to believe in should be a higherpriority than whether a belief is objectively true or not.those are not statements a sincere christian can logically make.
i already did. to summarize, you implied that what specifically a person believes doesn't matter - as long it makes them feel good or happy, enjoy each day etc. you directly compared religious faith to the belief that a rock protects someone from bear attacks.those are not statements a sincere christian can logically make.
I still can't find the word "Christianity" in anything I said so I'm not sure where I redefined Christianity.
I still can't find the word "Christianity" in anything I said so I'm not sure where I redefined Christianity.
you're redefining christianity if you believe what you wrote and call yourself a christian.

I am not saying I don't believe, sometimes I just question my own self. Deep down inside there always been some faith I just choose the times when to use it. It may be a bit hypocritical but I am not perfect and I don't pretend to be either. When my friends, family, or people I care about or things in the world are crazy and I wish things would go better sometimes I speak to whoever and say my peace. It may not help but it may not hurt either. As for me well, sure I hope and pray he will again help me but all I can do is ask, and keep on trying and not give up. Each one of us have our own thoughts and feelings some may believe some may not. I am not here to change the world, but if I can help someone with kind words or listen to them as they speak then I know I have done something positive in my life. :club:

why thank you. you do know that? I built this city! onnnnnn rock and rolllllll.
Well... Someone here always playing corporation gamesWho cares they're always changing corporation namesWe just want to dance here someone stole the stageThey call us irresponsible write us off the page

Who counts the money underneath the barWho writes the wrecking ball in two wild guitarsDon't tell us you need us, 'cause we're just simple foolsLooking for America, coming through your schoolsThey can't stop us......we commin back!

Wow...you gave up easily. This place isn't as fun as it used to be. You disappoint me.
Well this kind of thing is pretty frustrating to read:
Not at all. I BELIEVE OJ killed Nicole and Ron. However...my belief has nothing to do with whether he did or not.
When I explicitly said in the very post you are replying to:
You seem to be arguing that whether or not someone beleives a certain proposition has no bearing on it's truth. That was actually my point, since your original post seemed to imply that murders turning to god had something to do with religion being right.
You can't really think that I am in the position of arguing that something is true simply because someone believes it to be. So I don't really know what you're up to, but then again I never really do.
Well this kind of thing is pretty frustrating to read:When I explicitly said in the very post you are replying to:You can't really think that I am in the position of arguing that something is true simply because someone believes it to be. So I don't really know what you're up to, but then again I never really do.
OK...you are correct. I misinterpreted your post :"If people believe something when it is in their interest to do so this does quite the opposite of giving credibility to that belief."I interpreted that to mean that if people believed in something when it is NOT in their best interest, their belief could lend credibility to that belief.I apologize.
why thank you. you do know that? I built this city! onnnnnn rock and rolllllll.
a song that you know that I actually like , now that is amazing, thank you above. :club:
  • 2 weeks later...

well once again I am here doing my thing, thinking and talking to you know who above. He listened to my prayers about a certain friend and now I am hoping he will again listen to my prayers when I go back under the dreaded knife again on Friday. I am glad that he heard me when I did pray for my friend but please hear me now. I don't ask for too much in life and I know I am a nuisance to say the least but I still have lots to offer in this world. :club:

well once again I am here doing my thing, thinking and talking to you know who above. He listened to my prayers about a certain friend and now I am hoping he will again listen to my prayers when I go back under the dreaded knife again on Friday. I am glad that he heard me when I did pray for my friend but please hear me now. I don't ask for too much in life and I know I am a nuisance to say the least but I still have lots to offer in this world. :club:
That's weird that he answers your prayers but is woefully silent and inept when it comes to a policeman's plea to walk again after being shot in the line of duty.Also, he hates amputee's. Weird.
That's weird that he answers your prayers but is woefully silent and inept when it comes to a policeman's plea to walk again after being shot in the line of duty.Also, he hates amputee's. Weird.
duh god only works miracles that can have alternate non-miraculous explanations because he wants people to believe in him by faith :club:
praying for you Rose.
praying for you Rose.
thx SportsmackSpademan I guess having some faith and believing in miracles do happen
I BELIEVE OJ killed Nicole and Ron. However...my belief has nothing to do with whether he did or not.I also never said that murderers turning religious in the face of death has anything to do with religion being "right". I merely pointed out that many times they do find religion. (Once again...I didn't say Christianity nor did I define Christianity)
BG,If you're reading this, please know that I am truly filled with a profound sense of regret for comparing you to this guy in another thread and that I honestly hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me.
  • 2 weeks later...

not a crisis but a little kind gesture, lord please get me through this tournament to the Ft tonight for me and my backers thanks. :club: and thank you for the great news and the outcomes from the surgery too.

not a crisis but a little kind gesture, lord please get me through this tournament to the Ft tonight for me and my backers thanks. :club: and thank you for the great news and the outcomes from the surgery too.
if there is a god, he sure as shit better be ashamed of himself for creating you.