My Main Event Disaster

Ok, now that I have had a few hours to put everything in perspective. Being knocked out of the main event is painful no matter when it happens. The sick thing about poker is if you don't win your pissed and winning the main event is practically impossible. "If your not first ur last". I feel fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to play the main event for the third time (last year I cashed). Although I didn't cash this year it isn't all bad for me:1. I was in the tournament through a few hundred dollar satellite so basically the buy in was free.2. On day 1 I played the main feature table for the entire day. Playing with Alan Cunningham, Eli Elezra, CK Hua, and Lex "RaSZi" Veldhuis. Incidentally Lex is really sick, Eli said he was the best player at the table before play began and he wasn't wrong. Unfortunately for Lex he probably kept the pace up on day two, because he was gone pretty early.3. With feature table sponsorship money and the fact that I was basically in for free I already cashed (no I won't disclose on here how much).4. I made reasonably good decisions and fought like hell for almost ten hours yesterday with my short stack. At the end I blinded off to an M of 5 and still found a spot where I was a 60% favorite when the money went in.If you have never had the opportunity to play the main event you really need to save the money and do it. If you can't win a seat save the money and play anyway not because it is +ev necessarily, but because it is a lifelong dream. Where else in the world can you pay 10K to jump right into the championship game, and test yourself against all of the great players. Start saving now and you'll have your own 12K prize package and an experience for a lifetime by the time next year’s wsop starts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why (but you certainly don't have to tell us why).And yes, the thread title sucked.I expected a story about misreading your hand or spilling coffee on yourself which caused you to bust. I dunno. Something other than blinding down to 5bbs.However, your point about playing the ME if you get the chance is well taken. Sounds like a blast.

I'm curious as to why (but you certainly don't have to tell us why).And yes, the thread title sucked.I expected a story about misreading your hand or spilling coffee on yourself which caused you to bust. I dunno. Something other than blinding down to 5bbs.However, your point about playing the ME if you get the chance is well taken. Sounds like a blast.
Nope didn't spill coffee on myself, but I did walk straight into the womens rest room took a long nice piss and texted some friends, before noticing that it was FAR too quite to be the mens room. At which point I saw a lady walking into another stall and quietly "skirted" my way out the door.
I'm curious as to why (but you certainly don't have to tell us why).And yes, the thread title sucked.I expected a story about misreading your hand or touching your cell phone which resulted in your top set getting delcared dead. I dunno. Something other than blinding down to 5bbs.However, your point about playing the ME if you get the chance is well taken. Sounds like a blast.
fyp

the "how much do you make for appearing at a featured table" is a really often asked question that no one seems to want to answer. i'd love to know the answer and hear about the process because it really intrigues me from a business perspective. it's not like we're asking for your credit card statements.please reconsider.

For a poor guy like me, that would be like winning the lottery to be at the feature table and get sponsorship money...all the more reason I thought that it was mightily duechey that Phil Ivey refused to be at the feature table thus costing everyone else that drew his table to miss out on sponsorship money and a chance to be on television.

the "how much do you make for appearing at a featured table" is a really often asked question that no one seems to want to answer. i'd love to know the answer and hear about the process because it really intrigues me from a business perspective. it's not like we're asking for your credit card statements.please reconsider.
As for how much I just don't think that you should post that sort of thing.It is really sort of a frantic process, because you have to start off the day wearing the logo so you litterally only have like five minutes to negotiate (although I had decided that I would miss the beginning if necessary). If your table is chosen to be the feature table when you arrive at your original table they have a flyer taped to the table saying "Please report to the ESPN feature table" (at which point you litterally piss yourself). When you walk over to the feature table area carrying your seat card these poker agents will politely approach you offering you a variety of deals for wearing a logo on your shirt, a hat, or both.
For a poor guy like me, that would be like winning the lottery to be at the feature table and get sponsorship money...all the more reason I thought that it was mightily duechey that Phil Ivey refused to be at the feature table thus costing everyone else that drew his table to miss out on sponsorship money and a chance to be on television.
And we all know phil ivey plays poker to give other people money :club:
I agree when I saw that he refused I thought the same thing. I am sure that he didn't want people seeing him playing a bit tighter then you'd expect because it was day 1. He probably had the idea that he would try to avoid putting the hammer down that early in the tournament, but he likes everyone having the impression that he does.
As for how much I just don't think that you should post that sort of thing.It is really sort of a frantic process, because you have to start off the day wearing the logo so you litterally only have like five minutes to negotiate (although I had decided that I would miss the beginning if necessary). If your table is chosen to be the feature table when you arrive at your original table they have a flyer taped to the table saying "Please report to the ESPN feature table" (at which point you litterally piss yourself). When you walk over to the feature table area carrying your seat card these poker agents will politely approach you offering you a variety of deals for wearing a logo on your shirt, a hat, or both.
Right, but what I'm curious about is how the offers vary from site to site. Like, does UB have to offer more since their brand is tarnished and people would typically prefer not to wear them if they follow online poker? Does every agent just pimp one brand or do they say "We can do stars for 10k, full tilt for 8k" etc. What about pokerVT? I see a lot of people wearing poker VT patches at the featured tables, is that like a bonus add on for an extra grand?If you really really feel compelled to leave out numbers, that's your choice, but I'm really interested in the whole agency scene. I had a guy last year with 3 tables left in the stud 8 give me a card and say to call his cell as soon as we got down to 1 table and he'd hook me up with a patch and some cash but i never got specifics.
But there was an entire other group of people that got rewarded by Ivey refusing. I don't think it's douchey at all by him if it's douchey by anyone it's whoever said okay we'll switch the table then.
I didn't know you can refuse to be at the feature table? Why is this?
why not?
Probably because there is a finite amount of space on the internet and there is no reason to waste some of that space on things that don't really matter....
Probably because there is a finite amount of space on the internet and there is no reason to waste some of that space on things that don't really matter....
and as most plumbers know, too much crap clogs the tubes.
Right, but what I'm curious about is how the offers vary from site to site. Like, does UB have to offer more since their brand is tarnished and people would typically prefer not to wear them if they follow online poker? Does every agent just pimp one brand or do they say "We can do stars for 10k, full tilt for 8k" etc. What about pokerVT? I see a lot of people wearing poker VT patches at the featured tables, is that like a bonus add on for an extra grand?If you really really feel compelled to leave out numbers, that's your choice, but I'm really interested in the whole agency scene. I had a guy last year with 3 tables left in the stud 8 give me a card and say to call his cell as soon as we got down to 1 table and he'd hook me up with a patch and some cash but i never got specifics.
The big name sites were all around the same amount. It seemed like some agents could just make deals for one brand while others had several options. They only allowed three players to wear the same logo's at the table so that limited being too picky over the brand if you favor one over the others. I don't know about pokerVT, because no one offered it.