Oldest Known Bible Online

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then you should disregard as false your own date for the torah.
This list was shorter than I had imagined.
You guys are totally missing the point. That which can readily be learned through observation cannot be evidence of externally provided knowledge.
this is true. but at the same time if the exodus story were based in fact, and deuteronomy was actually contemporarywith the ebers papyrus, it would be a bit of an anomaly that egyptian and hebrew cultures weren't somewhatmore synchronized. it wouldn't be evidence of divinely provided knowledge, but it would require some additionalexplanation.since the exodus story is myth and deuteronomy was written 1000+ years later there's nothing to explain.
this is true. but at the same time if the exodus story were based in fact, and deuteronomy was actually contemporarywith the ebers papyrus, it would be a bit of an anomaly that egyptian and hebrew cultures weren't somewhatmore synchronized. it wouldn't be evidence of divinely provided knowledge, but it would require some additionalexplanation.since the exodus story is myth and deuteronomy was written 1000+ years later there's nothing to explain.
This is 100% true*...For the rest of us..you can go with the experts who disagree*if you consider hope truth
This is 100% true*...For the rest of us..you can go with the experts who disagree
your "experts" (apologists) who believe exodus is a literal history of the jews are in the minority, probably a very small minorityin the overall archeological community, and they can't even agree among themselves on the date, whether the hyksos were thejews or not, who the pharoah of moses was etc. it's kind of a joke.
This is 100% true*...For the rest of us..you can go with the experts who disagree*if you consider hope truth
Obviously you consider the people sitting next to you in the pew as experts, because as far as biblical scholars go, you couldn't be further from the truth.
Obviously you consider the people sitting next to you in the pew as experts, because as far as biblical scholars go, you couldn't be further from the truth.
Not to be a nit, but your op doesn't lend itself to believing you have a good grasp of the subject.crow likes to pretend that everyone is on board wiht him, but the truth is, the short bus he is on isn't even very full
Not to be a nit, but your op doesn't lend itself to believing you have a good grasp of the subject.
nothing you post lends itself to believing you have a good grasp of any relevant subject.and the OP has nothing to do with archeological consensus on evidence for the exodus (obviously)
crow likes to pretend that everyone is on board wiht him, but the truth is, the short bus he is on isn't even very full
you were the one who appealed to authority. anyone who cares enough to research the subject is free to do so. attacking me won't change what they will find.
deuteronomy was written much later than you imagine.
cult speak + dodging the question = crowtrobot
Not to be a nit, but your op doesn't lend itself to believing you have a good grasp of the subject.
I kind of find this comment funny. I quoted another author and linked to a story he was describing about the CNN article. I was incorrect (since he was incorrect) in my statement that the document did not reference the resurrection. Then I realized my mistake, and admitted it. This last action is something you are quite clearly unable to do. And my making one mistake regarding one story about an old biblical text, does not warrant further conclusions about my knowledge of religious scholars. But as you've already proven, logic isn't your strong point.
I kind of find this comment funny. I quoted another author and linked to a story he was describing about the CNN article. I was incorrect (since he was incorrect) in my statement that the document did not reference the resurrection. Then I realized my mistake, and admitted it. This last action is something you are quite clearly unable to do. And my making one mistake regarding one story about an old biblical text, does not warrant further conclusions about my knowledge of religious scholars. But as you've already proven, logic isn't your strong point.
Or it is..and you don't follow...ever think of that?
Or it is..and you don't follow...ever think of that?
There is no world in which the conclusion you made about me is logical. But, if there is one thing you christians are good at, it's making snap judgments. Thanks for not letting us down.
cult speak + dodging the question = crowtrobot
both the ancient greeks and romans practiced ritual hand washing. the ancient chinese were also heavily into cleanliness. other asian peoples have the custom of keeping one hand clean for eating (while using the other for toilet paper) that go back 1000s of years. contemporary cultures also practiced thorough washing off of "unclean" stuff such as blood and bodily discharge, and knew enough not to touch dead bodies unless they were cleaned. there's nothing about the ritualistic cleanliness rules in deuteronomy that would have been particularly insightful for the time period in which it was written.as for "prior to 2000 BC" i don't know what was going on then and don't care since that's completely irrelevant.

what's really funny is comparing the amount of insight and experience that would have been necessary for primitive egyptians to engineer the pyramids (something we are still struggling to understand today) with the amount of insight and experience that would have been necessary to learn that it's good to wash your hands.maybe you should be worshipping Ra.

• 2 weeks later...
what's really funny is comparing the amount of insight and experience that would have been necessary for primitive egyptians to engineer the pyramids (something we are still struggling to understand today) with the amount of insight and experience that would have been necessary to learn that it's good to wash your hands.maybe you should be worshipping Ra.
Nice.