2009 Wsop $10,000 World Championship No Limit Hold'em

I played yesterday as did Casey (bubbleboy), Jesse (pocktdeuces), Rod (Rdog), Marky (msals), Trevor (Tremomey) and I'm pretty sure Hoosier also played.I know that Jesse and Rod busted but Tre and I both have averagish stacks (45k) going to day 2 on Wednesday and Marky and Casey probably have like 25-30k each I think.http://twitter.com/AcidKnighthttp://twitter.com/TreMomey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played yesterday as did Casey (bubbleboy), Jesse (pocktdeuces), Rod (Rdog), Marky (msals), Trevor (Tremomey) and I'm pretty sure Hoosier also played.I know that Jesse and Rod busted but Tre and I both have averagish stacks (45k) going to day 2 on Wednesday and Marky and Casey probably have like 25-30k each I think.http://twitter.com/AcidKnighthttp://twitter.com/TreMomey
I approve of this
Daniel has an A, B and C game while somebody like Ivey seems to only have an A game although I'm sure not even that's true.To say that Daniel is really really bad at poker like hubdub did is just plain stupid. There is just a wee bit of variance in tournament poker.Obviously based on his statements Daniel was playing his C game yesterday. My guess is mostly to his being very sick.Daniel is open and honest about his feelings and says what is on his mind at all times and people often project their own feelings and when Daniel doesn't think about something the same way that they do they get upset about it.
My argument isn't "plain stupid" at all. Daniel gave off this "I don't really care" attitude quite frequently this WSOP ie: his crazy 3k triple chance antics, his ME showing, etc. That 33 bustout hand was played about as bad as you can play a hand and he managed to execute that in the Main Event of the WSOP. Now I have always been a fan of DN and the way he handles himself at the table, but the last year or so he's lost something, maybe it's his desire to crush live tournaments or live cash games because he's already reached the pinnacle of the game, but either way, I don't consider him to be an elite player anymore, and it's a pretty unanimous sentiment amongst a lot of players as well. Not to mention his disastrous recent season of HSP either.But Daniel is basically freerolling life now and doesn't have to pay for tournament buyins or many expenses due to his endorsements so that could also be a factor in his apparent lack of motivation. Either way, I hope he goes on more hot streaks and wins more titles, he's good for the game, nobody can deny that.
not saying he sucks at all, but your argument is retarded.
IE. "Results don't matter.
loosh made it to day 2 w/ 43k.
Shouldn't rcgs be posting this stuff up? Like, WTF?!
My argument isn't "plain stupid" at all. Daniel gave off this "I don't really care" attitude quite frequently this WSOP ie: his crazy 3k triple chance antics, his ME showing, etc. That 33 bustout hand was played about as bad as you can play a hand and he managed to execute that in the Main Event of the WSOP. Now I have always been a fan of DN and the way he handles himself at the table, but the last year or so he's lost something, maybe it's his desire to crush live tournaments or live cash games because he's already reached the pinnacle of the game, but either way, I don't consider him to be an elite player anymore, and it's a pretty unanimous sentiment amongst a lot of players as well. Not to mention his disastrous recent season of HSP either.But Daniel is basically freerolling life now and doesn't have to pay for tournament buyins or many expenses due to his endorsements so that could also be a factor in his apparent lack of motivation. Either way, I hope he goes on more hot streaks and wins more titles, he's good for the game, nobody can deny that.
You made the statement that Daniel is really bad at poker now and that statement is stupid. Now you can say that Daniel doesn't always seem to play his best in every tournament that he plays and nobody should give you an agrument about that, I sure won't and his C game can be well below his A game. You can argue that Daniel's NL cash game skills aren't up there with the top NL cash game players. Also when it comes to many of the things that he did in the WSOP you have to factor in that he was playing in more than one tournament and his actions were motivated mostly by getting WSOP player of the year points. In the case you mentioned of his 3K triple chance antics he was only playing that tournament while on break from a tournament that he was already deep in. He had to either build up a big stack or go broke since he was only going to play that tournament while on break from the other one. It also gave him a chance to blow off some steam and nutbar. My guess is that most players who you consider elite would trade Daniel's tournament results since the start of the 2008 WSOP for their own.
You made the statement that Daniel is really bad at poker now and that statement is stupid. Now you can say that Daniel doesn't always seem to play his best in every tournament that he plays and nobody should give you an agrument about that, I sure won't and his C game can be well below his A game. You can argue that Daniel's NL cash game skills aren't up there with the top NL cash game players. Also when it comes to many of the things that he did in the WSOP you have to factor in that he was playing in more than one tournament and his actions were motivated mostly by getting WSOP player of the year points. In the case you mentioned of his 3K triple chance antics he was only playing that tournament while on break from a tournament that he was already deep in. He had to either build up a big stack or go broke since he was only going to play that tournament while on break from the other one. It also gave him a chance to blow off some steam and nutbar. My guess is that most players who you consider elite would trade Daniel's tournament results since the start of the 2008 WSOP for their own.
All true but,It would be good to see him play more cash games, he lives in Vegas damn it and never seems to go out and just sit down at a table and play. If he would get out a couple times a week to a card room and just play the game without making it some kind of special event or challenge it would help with this perception, same goes for online.

As far as I'm concerned:There are a lot of things that make you a great poker player. Not all of them have to do with actually playing cards. Playing in the right games where you have an edge and playing when you're fully prepared to play your best are two things that people just overlook a lot. I think that DN is a great tournament poker player. He is also certainly ahead of most of the world in a lot of other games because he has a lot more experience in those games.When it comes to cash games, especially NLHE, especially televised games with great/cutting edge players like Ivey and PA and Durrrrr, those are not games where DN is likely going to have any edge at all and he will probably be a dog in those games, even playing his best, simply because he's playing guys who play NLHE cash constantly.When it comes to the tournaments, something like the ME is not a spot where you should ever really be caught playing anything but your A game. Sure you can make mistakes, everyone will, but your attitude and attention have to be your A-game level. I mean, it's the tournament that everyone wants to win and it comes around only once a year. You shouldn't really be playing your C game in that tournament.I also agree with the people who said that complacency has probably hurt his game. Not relying on poker income for day to day things and not having to pay your tournament buyins will certainly take away some of your killer instinct, but that's a mindset thing too.I was disappointed with how poorly played his bustout hand seemed and I was somewhat shocked with some of the plays that he made on HSP. It feels like there are just so many things going on in the game of NLHE right now that are different than 3 years ago and different than 8 years ago and if you're not really keeping up with these things, you're going to get left behind a little bit and that's what it feels like happened to DN a little.

I think DN (by his action and especially by his comments) has burnt out on no limit hold em.Every time he plays a NLHE event he invariably complains about the never-ending boredom. He seems to chase action in NLHE----even in cash games (though HSP is a small sample size and DN clearly has some mental issues regarding HSP for good reason).I think a temporary break from NLHE would do him a world of good.....but Pokerstars might not be so keen on that.I agree that his play in the Main Event this year was disappointing but I dont think you can look at his results over the last two years and say he has "lost" it. The exposure/face time he gets from HSP is probably worth the fact that he is -EV in that game. But, it is clear that he is a notch below the top NLHE cash players and that is ok. The idea that DN is a "bad" or even "average" poker player now is ridiculous, though.

It would surely make me think twice about spending money on pokervt after listening to him whine about NLHE for the last month. If he is that bored at the table then how bored is he putting up video's of the same thing? I don't know, I followed him on twitter and it was getting a little old reading the complaints about how bored he was and then basically seeing how he gave up in the ME. Sucks that he was not feeling well and I think we can all agree it is hard to play your A game when you feel like shit but for a $10K buy in I would at least try to act like I was trying.

b/c cashing 8 times in ~30 tournaments means absolutely nothing. Anyone with a vague grasp of poker probably does this every once in a while.
Agreed. It's funny how we call some things in poker "achievements" and other things not, though. For the average player, the probability of cashing 8 out of 30 tournaments (or better) is about 0.77%, or 1/128. (I assumed top 10% is paid.) A small number, but there are enough players playing a large number of events to claim that it is just a statistical fluctuation when this happens.Now let's consider the probability of winning a bracelet. For the average player, playing in 30 events of 500 players, the probability of winning a bracelet is about 5.8%. The probability of winning two bracelets is 0.17%. Make the average fields a bit smaller by playing a lot of non-NLHE events, and that probability becomes comparable to the one above.Yet, we think of someone who cashes 8 times as someone who was just on a good streak. Someone who wins two bracelets in one year, on the other hand, gets his name in the history books.All of this is not to defend Daniel (or to say that Phil Ivey was just lucky this year), it just shows that judging a poker player's ability by his scores during a single WSOP is almost impossible, and that we should be a bit careful when calling things "just lucky" or "great achievements" from numbers alone. Which I guess was most people's point above anyway. :club:
It would surely make me think twice about spending money on pokervt after listening to him whine about NLHE for the last month. If he is that bored at the table then how bored is he putting up video's of the same thing? I don't know, I followed him on twitter and it was getting a little old reading the complaints about how bored he was and then basically seeing how he gave up in the ME. Sucks that he was not feeling well and I think we can all agree it is hard to play your A game when you feel like shit but for a $10K buy in I would at least try to act like I was trying.
I have to agree. In the year 2009 if I were going to learn NL holdem cash I would turn to an online star (Durrrrr, Justin Bonomo, Shannon Shorr). If I were going to learn NL tournament I would turn to Hellmuth or one of the young live and online stars. If I wanted to learn how to gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars on golf as a below-average golfer, make poor financial decisions, and berate fans who offer you intelligent advice for free I would contact Daniel.

Just guessing that that week straight of 3am finishes finally caught up to him. You could tell by some of those later video blogs he was just getting sick of being at the Rio. It might have been worth it in the end though for his POY bets, he probably won all of them except the one vs. Barry and Lisandro.

Just guessing that that week straight of 3am finishes finally caught up to him. You could tell by some of those later video blogs he was just getting sick of being at the Rio. It might have been worth it in the end though for his POY bets, he probably won all of them except the one vs. Barry and Lisandro.
This is a good point. A lot of us are projecting our expectations on DN. He had a pretty great streak of deep runs at the WSOP this year and he gassed himself further by playing two events at once all the time. By the ME, he was probably spent. And, to DN, the 10K buy-in is not such a big deal. So, maybe he mailed in his ME performance. Let's not overreact too much to all this.I would love to see DN go to the WSOP next year and not play two events at once, not make a bunch of crazy sidebets, and just focus on winning a bracelet or two. But thats my view of what he should do and DN has earned the right to do it his way.And I cant believe we are complaining about DN being "too open" in his blog. I find the blunt honesty refreshing. Always been one of my favorite things about the guy.
And I cant believe we are complaining about DN being "too open" in his blog. I find the blunt honesty refreshing. Always been one of my favorite things about the guy.
For me it's always been the hair.

Is Danny still doing that 10 dollar to 10,000 dollar grind?

If enjoying watching Daniel on TV and understanding how he could have not been into the ME yesterday makes me a fanboy, then put me on the list. After all, who am I to judge how he performs at his job, he doesn't come to my work and ask me why I put in place certain polocies or why we don't do a certain promotion. Nice series Daniel, I am sure you wanted to do better just like your fans wanted you to do better. Take a vacation from the poker life and get recharged. Oh, and be careful what prop bets you get yourself into next year. :club:

Hellmuth is genius - my guess is that the amount of income he brings in - not by playing poker is more than 99 percent of the people playing poker for a living and he deserves itgod help me no one is dying to find out what Jesus Furgeson is up to next. He's the Howard Stern of Poker - showing up for every tourney late is complete genius because he always ensured that his entrance would be filmed - the guy is on a whole other level in self promotion than any poker player alivemaking money without any risk beats gambling well any day
this
Daniel has an A, B and C game while somebody like Ivey seems to only have an A game although I'm sure not even that's true.To say that Daniel is really really bad at poker like hubdub did is just plain stupid. There is just a wee bit of variance in tournament poker.Obviously based on his statements Daniel was playing his C game yesterday. My guess is mostly to his being very sick.Daniel is open and honest about his feelings and says what is on his mind at all times and people often project their own feelings and when Daniel doesn't think about something the same way that they do they get upset about it.
I played with Ivey in the 2-7 when he had his A game and in the $5k Shootout when he had his C game. DN probably just had a bad day and bad timing for it to be during the WSOP ME.