2009 Wsop $10,000 World Championship No Limit Hold'em

Official Day 1C NumbersThe final count is in, and 1,697 players came out for Day 1C of the 2009 WSOP Main Event. That brings the total number of registered players over the first three days to 3,686.By comparison, 2008's Day 1C attracted 1,928 players. In 2007 1,743 players started on Day 1C and in 2006 there were 2,160
so if there are ~ 1500 players on day 4 that would bring the total to a little bit over 5k. Would that be considered it a success or failure? Anything over 5,000 players is a success IMO. Rough year - Lots of strikes against poker - AIGA, recession, Hellmuth's skirt.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looshle53k at dinner break, playing my A gameabout 2 hours ago from TwitterFonmarkysals41,600 on dinner. Wasicka and Kelly Kim at my table now but I think were next to break. Last update phone about to dieabout 2 hours ago from Tweetie

BkIce twitter: I open 9d7d two callers, flop Kd7h4d I bet 1900 he raises to 5500 I make it 14200 he shoves for 35k or so I obv call he has the toppest set.......and then I make frush! great success!He should have about 140k if my calculations are correct

I'm just gonna say what myself ( and many other online players ) have thought for a long time. Daniel is becoming really really bad at poker, and i'm really not sure why.

I'm just gonna say what myself ( and many other online players ) have thought for a long time. Daniel is becoming really really bad at poker, and i'm really not sure why.
gl against the upcoming fanboy onslaught
You mean people are still gonna defend him after he busts out of the tournament everyone waited all year to see him do well in and followed it up with a statement to the effect that he's glad he busted and can't wait to get in bed? Of course they are!
Now I'm not one to completely stick up for the way he's been playing, but he had 8 cashes this WSOP, and as Denny Green would say cashes are cashes. Now FWIW I dont think DN has ever won a NLHE bracelet and I'm not one to speculate but perhaps NL just isnt his game. The ME should not be the end all be all for WSOP success. Therefore in conclusion really really bad is a wicked stretch IMHO.

Say what you want about DN. But, he did have the most cashes this WSOP with 8. Also I was there a few days ago and the guy is rock star on the circuit. No one is better for the game that DN. That being said, if he is as sick as he says he is then what can you do. He lost, it happens.

I don't really care TBH.

Did daniel probably dump the last 6k of his stack? Yeah, probably. He still did plenty this world series, like the others said 8 cashes, blahblahblah.Honestly, if I was a pro who really only got up for the mixed events (not a stretch if you know me, besides the "pro" part lol) I wouldn't even want to play the ME period.. potential 10 day grind in a game you can marginally stand in the first place.To put it in perspective: imagine the main even was Razz, with 30k starting chips and 25 chip ante. I'm not apologizing for DN, really, I'm just saying if I had already played 15-20 events and/or was under the weather, I probably wouldn't care either.

Jeffrey Lisandro 355 pts 3 6 $807,521 Ville Wahlbeck 320 pts 1 6 $1,082,176 Phil Ivey 242 pts 2 5 $356,994 Vitaly Lunkin 240 pts 1 4 $2,696,305 Greg Mueller 240 pts 2 3 $709,635 John Brock Parker 227 pts 2 6 $806,870 James Van Alstyne 220 pts 1 3 $519,080 Matthew Hawrilenko 205 pts 1 5 $1,159,287 Daniel Negreanu 195 pts 0 8 $331,860YEP he sucks...

Jeffrey Lisandro 355 pts 3 6 $807,521 Ville Wahlbeck 320 pts 1 6 $1,082,176 Phil Ivey 242 pts 2 5 $356,994 Vitaly Lunkin 240 pts 1 4 $2,696,305 Greg Mueller 240 pts 2 3 $709,635 John Brock Parker 227 pts 2 6 $806,870 James Van Alstyne 220 pts 1 3 $519,080 Matthew Hawrilenko 205 pts 1 5 $1,159,287 Daniel Negreanu 195 pts 0 8 $331,860YEP he sucks...
not saying he sucks at all, but your argument is retarded.
not saying he sucks at all, but your argument is retarded.
NO YOUUUUU ARE !!!have to admit i was very very very disapointed to see daniel bust so early,porbly tryed to play to cute for the cameras :club:

Daniel has an A, B and C game while somebody like Ivey seems to only have an A game although I'm sure not even that's true.To say that Daniel is really really bad at poker like hubdub did is just plain stupid. There is just a wee bit of variance in tournament poker.Obviously based on his statements Daniel was playing his C game yesterday. My guess is mostly to his being very sick.Daniel is open and honest about his feelings and says what is on his mind at all times and people often project their own feelings and when Daniel doesn't think about something the same way that they do they get upset about it.

Now I'm not one to completely stick up for the way he's been playing, but he had 8 cashes this WSOP, and as Denny Green would say cashes are cashes. Now FWIW I dont think DN has ever won a NLHE bracelet and I'm not one to speculate but perhaps NL just isnt his game. The ME should not be the end all be all for WSOP success. Therefore in conclusion really really bad is a wicked stretch IMHO.
NL holdem bracelets are going to be the toughest to win by far.1. largest fields2. there are far more players who are competent at NL Holdem than there are in the other games since most of the internet players only play NL Holdem.Daniel has won WPT events, won the BC Championship last fall and finished 5th in the WSOP-Europe main event.Phil Ivey hasn't won a NL bracelet either as I'm pretty sure all his are in games other than NL Holdem.The love affair with NL Holdem does show a bit of the generational difference between people who played poker before the boom and those who have started recently and mostly on the internet and only really know NL Holdem. I doubt you'll find many players who have been around awhile who will say that NL Holdem is their favorite form of poker to play. I played a couple NL tournaments online last week and even in the one that I finished top 15 in I was bored to tears. When I busted out of the other tourney in the first half hour I was so glad that I hadn't wasted a lot of time in it. I can see why online tourney players need to play a bunch at the same time to keep from falling asleep.

Here is Negreanu's blog that was removed from the site, not sure why it was. I found it on pokerroad.com if anyone that missed it wanted to read it:http://pokerroad.com/blog/daniel-negreanu/...starts-tomorrow--------------------------------------------I'm as ready as I can be, I guess... I'm slightly under the weather. Not sure how it happened, but whatever. If necessary I'll have DayQuil with a Vitamin C boost handy for day one which should be an easy day in terms of fatigue. Just four two hour levels with a dinner break to boot.Not that you really need any extra motivation to win the big one, but I've made it a yearly tradition to watch the Rocky movies before the main event begins. So today, I burned through Rocky I all the way through Rocky IV. I'd planned on watching all six, but realized that I don't own "Rocky Balboa" yet (Patty?)Besides, Rocky V isn't all that much of an inspirational story. Oh! I did notice a flaw in the films: In Rocky I Mickey comes to Rocky's place and says, "I'm a 76 year old man..." and at the time Rocky is 30. Well, in Rocky III, after 10 successful title defenses they say that Rocky is now 34. Well, Mickey dies in Rocky III and on his casket it read: Mickey Goldmills 1905-1981. That would make him 76! Oops.Today was all about resting up as much as possible and these sniffles do concern me a little bit. I've already bought in, and am sitting in the Amazon Orange section table 92 seat 6. My guess is that we have 1700 players in the room tomorrow. Most people like to buy in on the 3rd or 4th day normally and I don't see why this year would be any different.What am I expecting? More of the same. Weak, scared play for the most part. An idea situation for aggressive players. I'm not nearly as aggressive as most of the pros on tour, but in this event, if table conditions warrant it, I'll often kick it up a notch, simply because I think I can play more hands for profit against a weaker field. Nothing crazy overboard, but maybe opening 35% when first in rather than 27% which is more in line with the no limit system I use in most tournaments. That number isn't as high as it seems. Remember, that number only applies to when no one else has entered the pot yet and doesn't reflect the number of hands I'll actually play. That number will be smaller than 35%.One thing that might be interesting is the first two levels of play since it's the deepest the main event has ever been with 300 big blinds to start off. It's always been 200, but this year the WSOP offered triple chips with the same structure from last year. That can only reward the better players and it certainly is something that benefits my style, a style designed to see a lot of flops without risking large percentages of my chips.For example, calling a standard raise last year, of say, 300 represented 1.5% of my starting stack, but this year, calling that same raise with 6h 4h will only cost me 1% of my stack. It might not seem like a big deal- but it adds up.This is a random guess, but I expect to end the day with 68,400 in chips. If I ended with 30,000, while disappointing, wouldn't be much of a concern coming back for day two to play with 200-400 blinds and a 50 ante. One thing you CAN"T complain about in regards to the main event is the amount of play you get. If you can handle adversity well, stay focused, show some heart, and bounce back from tough hands, the structure gives you enough time to make a comeback.I've been doing a lot of visualization lately, not on purpose, it just sort of happens. I see myself at the table, more calm than I have been especially down the stretch at the WSOP. More focused than I've been in a long time, and playing tenaciously. Slightly less engaging with the rail birds, and much more focused on what's happening at the table.I can't help but get the Rocky references out of my head in connection with the main event, but there really is so much to learn from those movies about what it takes to be the best you can be. Certain rules that apply not only to boxing or poker, but to life in general. Get too comfortable- you get sloppy. The guy who works the hardest- gets the reward. Whoever is the most hungry- will eat.There is no magic pill to staying hungry. If you start at the bottom and work your way to the top, to get there, you have to be hungry the whole time. When you get there, staying hungry, and pushing yourself, is a more difficult task than the grind on the way up. I see it happen to everyone- not just me. It's natural. Human nature. Some crack under pressure, some need added pressure to perform at their best. I like pressure. No, I love pressure and I crave it.This will be my 12th attempt at winning the big one. Wow, time flies... I came close in 2001, chip leader with 12 left only to finish 11th. I played AK against 66 in a spot where today, pfft, I would never have made that mistake. I went broke with 9-6 against 7-7 before the flop... again, a mistake I'd never make today.A couple years ago, with 1000 players left I was 5th in chips. I cashed, like 229th, but it was a missed opportunity. I was jamming it down everyone's throats up until that third day and came in with the same psyche. By the team I realized I needed to make an adjustment... it was too late. I'd lost my powerful big stack and was forced to play catch up on a short stack. A mistake I wouldn't make today...Last year, pfft, last year I was stoked when I got all my chips in the middle. I flopped bottom set and against the opponent I was facing, assumed he got all of his money in drawing slim with an over pair. Nope. He had top set, but to this day I have no regrets about that one.This year I think it's gonna be tough to knock me out. At least not till the late stages where the caliber of play improves dramatically. Last year's final table, while not full of household names, may have been the strongest ever from 1-9. I expect the final table to be even tougher this year. Poker isn't getting any easier, and to succeed and stay afloat with the young guns you need to find that inner "Eye of the Tiger."Ok, so that last line is uber cheesy, but what can I say, I love me some Rocky! Yoooo Adriane!!!12:30am, time for bed. Good night all, and good luck if you are playing tomorrow.-------------------------------------

Daniel is open and honest about his feelings and says what is on his mind at all times and people often project their own feelings and when Daniel doesn't think about something the same way that they do they get upset about it.
This is why I came to this site in the first place, and why I enjoy DN poker, and why if I even considered myself a "fan" of a poker player, it would be him.

I was a little disappointed when I read that he shoved with 33, but life goes on. I'm surprised there isn't more of the usual fanboy onslaught. Not that my opinion means that much, but I've argued for Daniel against some that say DN doesn't care about poker or isn't as good as he once was. Alas, it looked like today, and he said as much that he didn't care yesterday.I wonder if he would've put off playing yesterday for today if he would've felt better and possibly played better. Oh well.

What poker really, really, really needs in 2009 is to have either a tv pro or a very charismatic online or live pro win the main event. At this point the Moneymaker effect is worn out.

ENLIGHTEN ME
b/c cashing 8 times in ~30 tournaments means absolutely nothing. Anyone with a vague grasp of poker probably does this every once in a while. If he final tabled 8 tournaments out of 30 that'd be something.All said though, DN had a fairly impressive series this year.
5 July 2009, 5:27 pmRealKidPoker: Out of the wsop and don't really care. So sick I just need a bed.
Swine flu is a bitch