The Existence Of Morality

I hate you. I already had my weekend planned out. Ok. I'll make it happen sometime this weekend.
I lied, and just remembered I lied. I'm super busy with school this weekend, so I have to put this off for now, but rest assured, I WILL NOT SLEEP until these questions are answered!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That comic is horribly stupid. Just horrible.Perfectly rational people wouldn't have committed a "crime" in the first place, and would "rat out" someone who did. If the supposed "crime" isn't a moral crime, but an unfair "law" which got both imprisoned, both rational prisoners would "rat out" the other as an honorable and just person and share the penalty with the pride of correct thought. And in the second: to an rationally ethical person something that is good for self is good for all.Fucking retarded comic and if you posted it thinking it had some intellectual value, you're retarded in kind.

That comic is horribly stupid. Just horrible.Perfectly rational people wouldn't have committed a "crime" in the first place, and would "rat out" someone who did. If the supposed "crime" isn't a moral crime, but an unfair "law" which got both imprisoned, both rational prisoners would "rat out" the other as an honorable and just person and share the penalty with the pride of correct thought. And in the second: to an rationally ethical person something that is good for self is good for all.Fucking retarded comic and if you posted it thinking it had some intellectual value, you're retarded in kind.
Yeah, also Jeremy Bentham wouldn't ever wear a jacket like that. Ridiculous!
  • 3 weeks later...
I didn't read it yet. I might have to put it off until School is out in 3 weeks.
Nudge.
  • 1 month later...
bump
Furthermore, even if you were right, and the bible "took no position" the point would remain. Any moral authority worth its parchment should take a position on slavery. It should say "slavery is wrong".
Is this the question you want answered Base? It's been a long time. Sorry.
Many people here like to voice the opinion that religion is wrong for the world, that when the world is free of religion, it will be a better place. Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris…they’re making a fortune feeding this to the masses minorities.This view begs the question of how do you value whether something is right or wrong?Why is one thing right and another wrong?Why is stealing a car wrong, but helping a stripper off the ledge is right.In fact the truth is that the atheist movement is denying their parasitical existence feasting on the morality in our society brought by religious institutions, from God. They like to claim that morality is a quality that exists separate from God, but there is no basis for this assumption other than it’s the only answer they got.Hitchens is the guy that likes to make the case that morality ‘evolved’ on its own. That morals such as compassion, empathy, forgiveness and honesty are the traits that survived in the pod of people that eventually became Canadians, but the pods that failed to incorporate these traits died off. Thus morality became a surviving gene? Dna? Amino Acid? Or is the contention that society is a living organism that can hold to these morals, foster them, make them grow as they watch Oprah together?I contend that this is worse than rubbish, it’s poppycock. Without a benchmark standard, there is no right and wrong. No one can judge anyone’s actions with authority because there is no authority.At least Michael Onfray is honest about this. Of all the atheist apologetics, he seems to be the only one that admits that the consequences of atheism, is nihilism.In fact history shows us that the normal ‘evolution’ of a civilization always passes it apex and begins it’s downward spiral of decay to eventual ruin, with decadence…or a refusal to accommodate morality.Once a society begins to disregard the morality foundations laid down by religion, it begins to decay from within. Once the people in the society decide to ‘shuck off the shackles of morality’ they seal the fate of their society. And so far nihilism: 0, Morality: 100So if morality exists, and we all agree it does…where did it come from if not God?And who are you to tell me that your morality is greater than mine, or that any morality should be imposed on anyone by anybody?
Right and wrong are merely a perception of our consciousness & often created by sociëtal conditioning. I'm a Christian and also very interested in Zen Buddhism, which teaches that freedom of spirit (enlightenment) can only exist when you can let go of earthly concepts like right & wrong. Things are just what they are whether we label it or not. If you look at human nature you can put all the things that we perceive as "right" and all the things we perceive as "wrong" in that category, it's just humanity. Adolf Hitler was just as human as you and me, often we (most of us at least) perceive what he did as wrong and inhuman, but it was & is still infact part of our human nature. What I'm trying to say is that there is a potential Adolf in all of us & there is a potential Gandhi in all of us, our choices (along with enviroment, intelligence etc.) often decide which way we are heading. Labelling those choices as "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant, and often only usefull as a tool to influence people to choose "right" instead of "wrong" (which is weird because both concepts are pure perception). But then again, how many people have the spiritual insight to really know right from wrong, and how fewer people of those have the capability to adapt their lives to these standards. In the end, we are just human.
Right and wrong are merely a perception of our consciousness & often created by sociëtal conditioning. I'm a Christian and also very interested in Zen Buddhism, which teaches that freedom of spirit (enlightenment) can only exist when you can let go of earthly concepts like right & wrong. Things are just what they are whether we label it or not. If you look at human nature you can put all the things that we perceive as "right" and all the things we perceive as "wrong" in that category, it's just humanity. Adolf Hitler was just as human as you and me, often we (most of us at least) perceive what he did as wrong and inhuman, but it was & is still infact part of our human nature. What I'm trying to say is that there is a potential Adolf in all of us & there is a potential Gandhi in all of us, our choices (along with enviroment, intelligence etc.) often decide which way we are heading. Labelling those choices as "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant, and often only usefull as a tool to influence people to choose "right" instead of "wrong" (which is weird because both concepts are pure perception). But then again, how many people have the spiritual insight to really know right from wrong, and how fewer people of those have the capability to adapt their lives to these standards. In the end, we are just human.
Is morality earthly or spiritual?
Is morality earthly or spiritual?
Morality is different in every persons perception, what we may perceive as immoral can be perceived as moral for a cannibal tribe in Australia. We, myself including, often have the arrogance to think we are right & the others are wrong when infact everyone has different standards as to what they considder to be moral. To answer your question directly, I think spirit does not physically exist anywhere in space-time. Morality is something of spirit because it is a pure perception of consciousness. Therefor morality is spiritual & not earthly. The adaptation of spiritual concepts however has rigorous effects on earth itself because it influences every single decision we make. Right and wrong are also earthly concepts because we take these spiritual concepts & apply them to earthly matter, that is why and how we judge other people & circumstances. Hope this answers your question.
  • 2 weeks later...
Morality is different in every persons perception, what we may perceive as immoral can be perceived as moral for a cannibal tribe in Australia. We, myself including, often have the arrogance to think we are right & the others are wrong when infact everyone has different standards as to what they considder to be moral. To answer your question directly, I think spirit does not physically exist anywhere in space-time. Morality is something of spirit because it is a pure perception of consciousness. Therefor morality is spiritual & not earthly. The adaptation of spiritual concepts however has rigorous effects on earth itself because it influences every single decision we make. Right and wrong are also earthly concepts because we take these spiritual concepts & apply them to earthly matter, that is why and how we judge other people & circumstances. Hope this answers your question.
1/0 = 42?
  • 2 weeks later...