The Existence Of Morality

assuming you value life and social harmony, the right or wrong of those actions reduces to basic common sense.presumably you don't need god to tell you it would lead to social chaos if stealing were tolerated.
Stealing is an action, the moralty of stealing why is it wrong.Evolutionary survival of the fittest says I should get the best mate and procreate. If someone weaker has a prime female, a superior male should take her from him and procreate for the betterment of the species.Morality tells us that this is wrong.They didn't both evolve side by side as some atheist try to claim.
  • Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were born in a Christian based morality and therefore have a concept of right and wrong that you pretend is 'natural' but is in fact culturally based.It's okay, you can use our morality without giving us credit. You use our hospitals, schools and churchs too.
Uhm, "Christian" sentiments that actually have to do with morality were around long before Christianity. The golden rule is a direct rip off of Confucius.You really don't know what you are talking about.
Evolutionary survival of the fittest says I should get the best mate and procreate. If someone weaker has a prime female, a superior male should take her from him and procreate for the betterment of the species.
Stunning. Simply stunning. It would take years and training and books, not a post or series of posts, to correct your deficiencies in the areas of biology, logic and ethics.
Anyhow, this concept theists have about morality having something to do with their space daddies directives isn't morality at all.Doing something to avoid punishment or gain reward from a magic dragon in the 28th dimension isn't "moral".I don't even know how you guys even confuse it for morality.And the idea that you would be naked in the streets humping babies, cutting throats, stealing livestock and rolling around in shit if your zombie master didn't tell you not to is just stupid. If you thought about it for a minute you might realize that it is stupid.It is a stupid argument that actually denigrates yourself.
But if you do something for the reward of a better species, a better society or a better family unit...that's not an action/reward motive?Interested to hear you then explain why would morality evolve then. Until then misdirection is getting boring...let's try to focus on topic and not go on a tangent that you created because you're sure you know what I am going to say next. It's really a poor attempt to deflect from the problem your side has with regards to morality.
But if you do something for the reward of a better species, a better society or a better family unit...that's not an action/reward motive?
Internally directed. Self motivated. From within.Don't be silly, the point of discussion is whence morality comes.From your Warbling Vortex Fairy, or from within.Doing something to avoid punishment or gain reward from a magic dragon in the 28th dimension isn't "moral"That is the point of contention.Missing the point, whether intentional or simply a matter of inability, isn't going to work with me. Stay on track.
Uhm, "Christian" sentiments that actually have to do with morality were around long before Christianity. The golden rule is a direct rip off of Confucius.You really don't know what you are talking about.
Golden rule is a catchphrase snippet of the Chrisitan faith, but if you want to pretend that we broke a copyright then enjoy yourself.I think you are right about 'not knowing what they are talking about'..just not who.And Christianity is the fullfillment of Judism..an extension if you will. So if you want to look at our core..you would have to start 4,500 years before Confusius, give or take a decade.
Some animals eat their young.
Yeah, and some don't. When a mother cat cares for her kittens, I don't think to myself, "Wow, this cat must have a personal relationship with God that she learned by reading the Sermon on the Mount." I'm assuming you don't, either. Does it seem bizarre to you that the cat behaves in a way that doesn't directly benefit it? If not, how do you explain this behavior?
Internally directed. Self motivated. From within.Don't be silly, the point of discussion is whence morality comes.From your space daddy, or from within.Stay on track.
What is the motivating factor in self that directs your morality then?
Yeah, and some don't. When a mother cat cares for her kittens, I don't think to myself, "Wow, this cat must have a personal relationship with God that she learned by reading the Sermon on the Mount." I'm assuming you don't, either. Does it seem bizarre to you that the cat behaves in a way that doesn't directly benefit it? If not, how do you explain this behavior?
Oh..I get it, if an animal does something that we do, it's because we're all animals.But if they do something that is contrary to what we do..then it's just an imperfect example.you get to have your cake and eat it.
Many people here like to voice the opinion that religion is wrong for the world, that when the world is free of religion, it will be a better place. Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris…they’re making a fortune feeding this to the masses minorities.This view begs the question of how do you value whether something is right or wrong?
fwiw, this question has become sam's new focus, and we can expect to hear more from him soon on this issue. his point of view, that I largely agree with, is that ethical standards can be based on objective analysis.
In fact the truth is that the atheist movement is denying their parasitical existence feasting on the morality in our society brought by religious institutions, from God. They like to claim that morality is a quality that exists separate from God, but there is no basis for this assumption other than it’s the only answer they got.
Do you really think that killing was not considered bad before Christianity? Why is it considered wrong through the world by pretty much every culture (even before coming in contact with christianity?)
Hitchens is the guy that likes to make the case that morality ‘evolved’ on its own. That morals such as compassion, empathy, forgiveness and honesty are the traits that survived in the pod of people that eventually became Canadians, but the pods that failed to incorporate these traits died off. Thus morality became a surviving gene? Dna? Amino Acid? Or is the contention that society is a living organism that can hold to these morals, foster them, make them grow as they watch Oprah together?
Short answer is yes. Some of it is biological -- compassion and empathy for example are wired into the basic way the brain functions -- but also cultural evolution contributes. Culture is a collective set of values and behaviors and it does indeed evolve over time. If you look at the way morality works across cultures you find that there are some basic categorical values that serve to allow large masses of people to co-exist.
I contend that this is worse than rubbish, it’s poppycock. Without a benchmark standard, there is no right and wrong. No one can judge anyone’s actions with authority because there is no authority.
If there is an objective reason why something is wrong we don't need an authority.
In fact history shows us that the normal ‘evolution’ of a civilization always passes it apex and begins it’s downward spiral of decay to eventual ruin, with decadence…or a refusal to accommodate morality.Once a society begins to disregard the morality foundations laid down by religion, it begins to decay from within. Once the people in the society decide to ‘shuck off the shackles of morality’ they seal the fate of their society. And so far nihilism: 0, Morality: 100
I agree that moral rules aid in the success of a civilization. But that is not an answer to the question of where they came from, (or more importantly where they should come from).
So if morality exists, and we all agree it does…where did it come from if not God?And who are you to tell me that your morality is greater than mine, or that any morality should be imposed on anyone by anybody?
If we start by agreeing to some basic values like maximizing happiness and peace, everything follows rationally from that. And those values are inherent to us by nature, regardless of religion or culture.
Morality is doing what is right not matter what you are toldReligion is doing what you are told no matter what is right
Catchy.StupidBut catchy."..doing what is RIGHT no matter what you are told" Sounds like you have a code of what is right and wrong. Care to share it's origin since that is what this subject is about?
What is the motivating factor in self that directs your morality then?
Reason. The intrinsic knowledge that human life is "good".If one eats, breathes and shelters himself from the elements he is by necessity making this declaration.If you can't reason from that starting point an ethical and moral set, your ability to reason is flawed.This is so basic it gives the mind pause that it must be explained.
Also, we should just deal with the big elephant in the room: most rapes murders and child molestations in this country are committed by crazy people.
ef p
fwiw, this question has become sam's new focus, and we can expect to hear more from him soon on this issue. his point of view, that I largely agree with, is that ethical standards can be based on objective analysis.
I was reading a book that was in a rebuttal to some of Sam's work which is what promted me to start this thread I told you I thought could be interesting. If it keeps falling into a spademan style who can top who with an insult fest..then I will grow quickly bored.
Do you really think that killing was not considered bad before Christianity? Why is it considered wrong through the world by pretty much every culture (even before coming in contact with christianity?)
Pretty much every culture I can think of felt killing someone from another tribe was totally okay. But let's say this is true. Did the morailty of not killing someone begin right at that level, or did it 'evolve' from "It's only okay to kill another if they have blue eyes" then advance foward from there?
Short answer is yes. Some of it is biological -- compassion and empathy for example are wired into the basic way the brain functions -- but also cultural evolution contributes. Culture is a collective set of values and behaviors and it does indeed evolve over time. If you look at the way morality works across cultures you find that there are some basic categorical values that serve to allow large masses of people to co-exist.
I will try to allow you this point, even though I want to argue the 'Adam and Eve core branching out means there is a common ancestory, therefore why is it surprising that there is a common trait" line.Cultures throughout history have shown a propencity to decade after reaching the level of being 'above morality' wouldn't you agree? Doesn't this suggest that morality is a banchmark that exist seperate from cultures, and when ignored it is to the detriment to that culture?
If there is an objective reason why something is wrong we don't need an authority.
If there is a toaster that says something is wrong, then we don't need a vaccum to tell us that it's wrong?You are arguing that since objective reason tells us soemthing is wrong, we don't need a Bible to tell us this. What authority does objective reason have? In fact aren't you just calling the authority: "objective reason" and pretending that you aren't?
I agree that moral rules aid in the success of a civilization. But that is not an answer to the question of where they came from, (or more importantly where they should come from).
But it about the only true data we have on the reality and practicality of morality in history. The current atheist viewpoint is 100% conjecture with no data but wishes.
If we start by agreeing to some basic values like maximizing happiness and peace, everything follows rationally from that. And those values are inherent to us by nature, regardless of religion or culture.
Maximizing happiness and peace?So if molesting a child makes an atheist happy, they should be allowed too?I knew it!
Also, we should just deal with the big elephant in the room: most rapes murders and child molestations in this country are committed by christians.
But at a much, much greater percentage of the time by atheist. Who make up such a tiny percentage of the populationSo you are saying that with a massive number of people, there are a lot of scumbags..unless they are atheist, then you don't need as many people to find the scumbags
Reason. The intrinsic knowledge that human life is "good".If one eats, breathes and shelters himself from the elements he is by necessity making this declaration.If you can't reason from that starting point an ethical and moral set, your ability to reason is flawed.This is so basic it gives the mind pause that it must be explained.
You are really missing the point, or you don't understand the point.I'm not sure which yet, but I suspect your desire to show me how dumb I am in as few words as possible is letting you head down trails that make no sense.If morality exists, then there is a right and a wrong.If there is a right and a wrong, then there is an authority.Where did this authority come from.It doesn't matter if a person can find this morality on his own, because unless that morality that you assume is so obvious is correct, and correct by authority, then it doesn't matter if it's easy to find or not.Eating breathing and sheltering oneself from the elements is done by the best of us and the worst of us. It is irrelevent to the discussion.
If it keeps falling into a spademan style who can top who with an insult fest..then I will grow quickly bored lose.
What authority does objective reason have?
You know, those tired old things like a basis in reality and actual evidence of pragmatic effectiveness.
Maximizing happiness and peace?So if molesting a child makes an atheist happy, they should be allowed too?I knew it!
You're doing it wrong. Everything you're arguing can be attributed to poor logic and anorexic reason.
Eating breathing and sheltering oneself from the elements is done by the best of us and the worst of us. It is irrelevent to the discussion.
Again, poor ability to follow a premise to a reasonable conclusion.
Pretty much every culture I can think of felt killing someone from another tribe was totally okay. But let's say this is true. Did the morailty of not killing someone begin right at that level, or did it 'evolve' from "It's only okay to kill another if they have blue eyes" then advance foward from there?
I was watching this show on Travel channel recently that Guap turned me on to about tribal peoples. In the episode I saw someone from one tribe had killed the chief from the other tribe. This was considered wrong by both tribes and they had a whole negotiation process to deal with reparations.
Cultures throughout history have shown a propencity to decade after reaching the level of being 'above morality' wouldn't you agree?
I don't know what you mean by this.
Doesn't this suggest that morality is a banchmark that exist seperate from cultures, and when ignored it is to the detriment to that culture?
I think various cultures have strayed from what would be objectively best for them and have suffered as a result, yes.
If there is a toaster that says something is wrong, then we don't need a vaccum to tell us that it's wrong?
Huh? Those would be two separate authorities. This only illustrates why "because someone said so" is a bad reason for considering something moral. We need a better reason for that.
You are arguing that since objective reason tells us soemthing is wrong, we don't need a Bible to tell us this. What authority does objective reason have? In fact aren't you just calling the authority: "objective reason" and pretending that you aren't?
It doesn't have special authority, it just happens to be one of our best tools for discovering what is objectively true. If it's true that killing babies is immoral we can discover that truth through reason.
Maximizing happiness and peace?So if molesting a child makes an atheist happy, they should be allowed too?
Well obviously the unhappiness caused the child is what you are weighing against the 'happiness' achieved by the molester, but I think in this kind of case we can also see that molestation does not really even lead to happiness in the molester.
This is a better beginning for a debate, a more focused attempt at explaining why there is a right and a wrong.I was just hainvg a little fun before.Most of human history has shown us that happiness and peace are not likely results from life. So why would morality conclude that it is and strive for this? It's almost like morality had a plan and was going to make it happen regardless of what happened. Almost like a design...
Oh..I get it, if an animal does something that we do, it's because we're all animals.But if they do something that is contrary to what we do..then it's just an imperfect example.you get to have your cake and eat it.
I'm having my cake and also a piece of bread.Social behavior is a survival strategy that some species have and some do not. Flying is a survival strategy that some species have and some do not.I'm not arguing that all species are the same, just that we can see ethical behaviors in some species other than humans.I believe that natural selection could cause this. How do you explain it? Do you think God speaks to some cats but not to certain species of fish?