July 1 Free Agent Frenzy

I was trying to make a joke of it, hence the 4.5, since he's been reporting it for the past week and a half, and since its clear that people on this board don't like/trust hockey buzz :club:
To be fair, it was Andy Strickland who reported it this time, not Eklund.He's a Blues blogger, and one of the most credible people on that site, and don't be fooled. Lots of the team bloggers there definitely have inside information, and enough integrity not to go rumour-mongering.If Strickland says this is a done deal, then it's about as close to a done deal as it can be. When it's on TSN, it'll be official, until then, I believe it's about 98% sure.
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me what San Jose is thinking.Signed Rob Blake to a $3.5 mill contract when they literally have no cap room.They have only 16 players signed with around $1.6 million left on cap.They have no backup goalieThey have only 9 forwards, IF you include Jody Shelley and Jamie Mcginn You figure Patrick Marleau HAS to be on the way out going into a contract year. I dont get it.

Can someone explain to me what San Jose is thinking.Signed Rob Blake to a $3.5 mill contract when they literally have no cap room.They have only 16 players signed with around $1.6 million left on cap.They have no backup goalieThey have only 9 forwards, IF you include Jody Shelley and Jamie Mcginn You figure Patrick Marleau HAS to be on the way out going into a contract year. I dont get it.
Michalek is as good as gone after Clowe got Johan Franzen-money to stay a Shark, there's always rumors about Marleau being on his way out and they're probably true this year, so that's almost $10 million shaved (assuming that picks and/or prospects come back, probably not a good assumption). If they can find someone to take Cheechoo he's probably on his way out too. If I had to put money on a result, I would say Cheech and Michalek get traded, Marleau stays and they flesh out some kind of roster built around two very good forward lines, two pretty good defensive pairings and an All-World goalie. Their big problem is the fact that there's almost nothing of quality in the prospect pipeline, so they're going to have to try to sign the dregs of the free agent pile for what little money they'll have available after these trades go down.
Michalek is as good as gone after Clowe got Johan Franzen-money to stay a Shark, there's always rumors about Marleau being on his way out and they're probably true this year, so that's almost $10 million shaved (assuming that picks and/or prospects come back, probably not a good assumption). If they can find someone to take Cheechoo he's probably on his way out too. If I had to put money on a result, I would say Cheech and Michalek get traded, Marleau stays and they flesh out some kind of roster built around two very good forward lines, two pretty good defensive pairings and an All-World goalie. Their big problem is the fact that there's almost nothing of quality in the prospect pipeline, so they're going to have to try to sign the dregs of the free agent pile for what little money they'll have available after these trades go down.
good analysis..I think Marleau is the perfect fit in Toronto and i thought Kaberle was a good fit there. But they went and resigned Blake.I dont think Burke would give up a lot for Marleau, as he is a free agent next year.Marleau has to go as i dont think they can or will sign him...Pavelski and Setoguchi are RFAs next year and will demand hefty pay hikes.

After calling for his head 2 weeks ago (Just kidding), I have to say, I'm really really impressed with the work Shero has done over the past couple of seasons. Yeah, yea, anyone could have drafted Sid, Geno, Staalsy and Flower, but his work with contracts, getting key pieces to sign contracts under market value to be a part of a winner, etc... is all really nice to watch. A lot of GMs that just won the cup might go out and sign a winger to a 7.5 million dollar contract in the hopes of continuing the winning ways, but in the end, that move could come back to bite them if that player were to put up 0 goals in 7 SCF games. I'm not saying this has ever happened, just saying it could, in theory, happen to some unfortunate team. Shero, on the other hand, has kept the core of a good team together, and has done it with 1 year deals so that they aren't killed next off season if the cap drops 10 million. I realize this could go in the Pens thread, but this is in response to Shero signing McKee for 800k and finishing his work this off-season. :club:

After calling for his head 2 weeks ago (Just kidding), I have to say, I'm really really impressed with the work Shero has done over the past couple of seasons. Yeah, yea, anyone could have drafted Sid, Geno, Staalsy and Flower, but his work with contracts, getting key pieces to sign contracts under market value to be a part of a winner, etc... is all really nice to watch. A lot of GMs that just won the cup might go out and sign a winger to a 7.5 million dollar contract in the hopes of continuing the winning ways, but in the end, that move could come back to bite them if that player were to put up 0 goals in 7 SCF games. I'm not saying this has ever happened, just saying it could, in theory, happen to some unfortunate team. Shero, on the other hand, has kept the core of a good team together, and has done it with 1 year deals so that they aren't killed next off season if the cap drops 10 million. I realize this could go in the Pens thread, but this is in response to Shero signing McKee for 800k and finishing his work this off-season. :club:
Agreed...mostly. He didn't draft Sid, Geno, or Flower.
Agreed...mostly. He didn't draft Sid, Geno, or Flower.
sigh, i know that. I guess my wording is wrong. Anyone can look good with those people on their roster. He has looked good doing the little things to improve his team and keep them competitive. Just putting those players on the ice won't win you a round, let alone the Cup. I should have been more verbose.
Caps get softer: Sign Brendan Morrison.
bmo was doing okay with dallas at the end of the season after the trade. 6-3-9 in 19.if he can get his skating back, which maybe he might have during the offseason, he'd be okay for the caps as the third line center.not someone you want to have on your roster for $1.50...

RE: Sharks1. we all know hockey buzz is hilarious. funny seeing Joe's name getting put into trades when Wilson has let it known that Joe and Boyle are off limits. even if he weren't officially off limits, it's still laughable. Also funny seeing Vlasic getting thrown into trades since he's the #1 D of the future. plus the two major trades Wilson has made have been Shark favoured. all of a sudden he's going to make a horrible trade?2. Scott Nichol is supposedly going to be signed and be the the 4th line center.3. As for Shelly and McGinn...Shelly played many a game last year so he's viable. McGinn did fairly well though I think he was mostly there due to injuries.4. 7 D men. hmm. I think one or two have to go. Boyle is definitely staying. Blake and Huskins since they were just signed would stay. Lukowich would seemingly stay just because he's fairly cheap and you won't get shit for him anyway. That means Vlasic, Murray and Ehrhoff are the potentials. I would think it'd be ridiculous to trade Vlasic. I'm a fan of Murray and Ehrhoff but it would seem at least one of them is out. Ehrhoff would seemingly be the most attractive to other teams. The Sharks would miss his speed but the fans who call him error would probably be happy. I always think of him as an X-factor because he was probably the best or top 2 in terms of play (on both ends of the ice) for the first 25 games or so. I would prefer to have them keep Ehrhoff because no other D man on the team skates like him.5. I think cheechoo either has to be given back his top 2 line role or has to go. He was really very good as a third liner but 3 mill for a 3rd liner? plus he's secretly 28 years old. having him there last year was good but another season doesn't seem to make sense. Michalek would be seemingly be another potential on the block player. one would think his speed would be attractive to teams and if he can make the jump, his 4.3 cap hit for the next 5 years is pretty good. if he doesn't then well....6. RE: adam's post above, I think if they trade michalek and cheech (and a D man), they're probably filling rosters spots and not increasing their cap hits so they won't need to call up people to fill in spots...7. I think a theme of the sharks and their contracts is potential. people are getting money for what they are expected to do and not what they've done. I would guess part of this stems from having so many draft picks on the roster. obviously it's a good thing but when contract time comes around, it hurts a bit. or possibly Wilson just isn't good at that part of the GM position. part of it too is swinging for the fences the past few seasons. obviously it will affect you later on and later on is now apparently.

bmo was doing okay with dallas at the end of the season after the trade. 6-3-9 in 19.if he can get his skating back, which maybe he might have during the offseason, he'd be okay for the caps as the third line center.not someone you want to have on your roster for $1.50...
Word is he'll be give every chance to get the #2 center spot.
Korpokoski (sp?) for Enver Lisin trade today, prospect for prospect.As Lisin's owner I am happy for this trade. Kid can be a beast.
just saw thisI have lisin as well, but on my roster. Don't know if I will sign him or not.

Ok, clearly Glen Sather has naked pictures of a handful of NHL GM's wives and/or daughters. How else do you explain his ability to pawn off Scott Gomez on Montreal *and* get a quality defensive prospect (Ryan McDonaugh) in the process, and now he turns around and trades a nobody (Brian Fahey?) to Colorado for Nigel Williams who is yet another quality defensive prospect?Makes no sense at all. (Insert obligatory Bob Gainey has no daughter joke here)

... to Colorado for Nigel Williams who is yet another quality defensive prospect?
Unfortunately for me Williams took a huge hit in terms of viability... in NY he is sooo buried compared to Colorado.Looks like Fahey is a career minor leaguer... but maybe Col needs him in NHL asap and can't wait? Also:6/24/2000 Drafted by the Colorado Avalanche in the 7th round (119th overall) in 2000
Ok, clearly Glen Sather has naked pictures of a handful of NHL GM's wives and/or daughters. , and now he turns around and trades a nobody (Brian Fahey?) to Colorado for Nigel Williams who is yet another quality defensive prospect?(Insert obligatory Bob Gainey has no daughter joke here)
Brian went to my high school, hung out with him a couple times. Nice guy. Played a couple years for the Chicago Wolves and was pretty good.