Early Mtt Decision

Ran into this decision this evening. No reads on my opponent as I just got to the table the hand prior. All fold around to me. I'm in the SB with a large stack in the BB. My initial feeling was that a premium hand wouldn't make this move UTG, so best case scenario I'm flipping a coin for half my stack. However after thinking about it I 2nd guessed myself into thinking I could easily be dominated. Discuss.Full Tilt Poker Game #13094226870: $2 + $0.25 Tournament (97009992), Table 39 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 2:04:57 ET - 2009/06/29Seat 1: alcapone79 (3,295)Seat 2: KhoiALLiN (4,880)Seat 3: BiDavePolar (2,880)Seat 4: Dags1985 (6,360)Seat 5: DWtheNightOwl (1,000)Seat 6: Mr Bling 67 (2,340)Seat 7: FlyingScorpion (3,835)Seat 8: bugs991 (5,010)Seat 9: Vladimir2 (8,465)BiDavePolar posts the small blind of 30Dags1985 posts the big blind of 60The button is in seat #2*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to BiDavePolar [6s 6c]DWtheNightOwl raises to 1,000, and is all inMr Bling 67 foldsFlyingScorpion has 15 seconds left to actFlyingScorpion foldsbugs991 foldsVladimir2 foldsalcapone79 foldsKhoiALLiN foldsBiDavePolar ?????????

Risking about 35% of your stack here would be the wrong play.Just fold with only 30 chips invested in the hand, especially with the big stack behind you who could wake up with a monster.

Meh. Had a feeling I had the best of it and called. Opp. showed AK and we all know what flopped. I was trying to pad my stack in order make decisions later easier. Guess I've got to much gamble. But....yea.

Meh. Had a feeling I had the best of it and called. Opp. showed AK and we all know what flopped. I was trying to pad my stack in order make decisions later easier. Guess I've got to much gamble. But....yea.
There are surely times to gamble in any tournament, but not this early. There could definitely be some arguments for folding this hand later on in the tournament as well, imo.

I agree with everyone else. Fold! You only have 30 in the pot. You can find better spots to gamble.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! Late in a tourney I wouldn't think twice about folding this hand...I'd muck any pair up to jacks late. However, early (I'm talking first two or three levels) I'm looking to exploit ANY edge (however small it might be) and double thru or bust..there's always another one, right?

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! Late in a tourney I wouldn't think twice about folding this hand...I'd muck any pair up to jacks late. However, early (I'm talking first two or three levels) I'm looking to exploit ANY edge (however small it might be) and double thru or bust..there's always another one, right?
This is a bad way of thinking. In general, you should be more willing to take on risk later in a tourny when the blinds are large relative to most stacks and people are feeling pressured to make moves. Early on, you should not be looking for "ANY edge" especially when we're talking about your whole stack. Early on you should play tighter and wait for spots where you can build your stack up with minimal risk off weak players who are overplaying their hands. You certainly shouldn't be looking to flip a coin for your stack when the blinds are very low and you can build a stack more effectively by waiting for situations in which you have a significant edge. Again, this is a generalization but I'm sure most people here will agree with me.
You're backwards. Flip that around and you have a decent tourney strat.

In my experience this is almost always a big hand trying to get action by appearing to make a wild overbet. This bet wants a call, there's no reason to do this just to pick up the blinds.